PDA

View Full Version : More SAC Latta Ga Argentine comments/info

johnnycobra
March 12, 2008, 00:54
Hello all,

I have a <2000 serial # SAC Latta Ga Argentine FSL (FAL) (latta stamp in the mag well) and wanted to throw out my story/config as well as see what other things people have noticed about these.

I bought it as a complete upper with bbl nut tack welded on in 1994, as a post ban even though it is just below the 2000 serial # some have thrown out as pre-ban many years ago.

I also purchased a complete Argentine Lower and bolt with carrier and short belgian flash hider from another gentleman and stored them until the AW sunset it had a thumbhole stock- serial on both match, but are just over 2000.

I removed the tacked bbl nut after the AWB lifted and installed the Smith Break. I also used an L1A1 lower for a very brief time, however could not get the sights to adjust to make it usable.

Along the way, I installed the compliance parts - HTS, pistol grip, gas piston, follower and floorplate, and Smith Enterprises brake.

I noticed a few things with this

#1 - the Argie lower has a cross pin that does not allow my DSA hammer to work correctly unless this pin is removed. I believe this is unique to these "open ear" argies. Ant other hammer allow the pin to stay in?

#2 - Open ear sights. These are taller than the "closed ear" brazilian or other metric rifles. I used a folding L1A1 rear sight on the Argie lower, since I believe it is close to the same height as the non-folding rear that came on it - anyone care to clarify the height difference between the open argie, L1A1, Indian, and Israeli? Why would that work ok, but not with an L1A1 lower also?

#3 - I am using the Israeli front sight tool and it works great! This is the one that looks like a roller skate key

#4 - The DSA - USA made pistol grip does not fit the stowable (Imbel made?) cleaning kit - the kit fits in the stock Argie pistol grip, but falls right out of the DSA. Any suggestions on one that it will fit?

#5 - I installed a Trilux base/sight with the L1A1 rear to allow it to be scope mounted, and removed the locking tabs on the Trilux dust cover and had to file 1/32 off the rear of the mount to allow the rifle to close.

Any other usage tips or anomolies with this model?

Will post pics eventually.

johnnycobra
March 12, 2008, 01:01
Doh,

It's Latta S.C.

Sorry....

Abominog
March 12, 2008, 07:36
Originally posted by johnnycobra

#1 - the Argie lower has a cross pin that does not allow my DSA hammer to work correctly unless this pin is removed. I believe this is unique to these "open ear" argies. Ant other hammer allow the pin to stay in?

#2 - Open ear sights. These are taller than the "closed ear" brazilian or other metric rifles. I used a folding L1A1 rear sight on the Argie lower, since I believe it is close to the same height as the non-folding rear that came on it - anyone care to clarify the height difference between the open argie, L1A1, Indian, and Israeli? Why would that work ok, but not with an L1A1 lower also?

#4 - The DSA - USA made pistol grip does not fit the stowable (Imbel made?) cleaning kit - the kit fits in the stock Argie pistol grip, but falls right out of the DSA. Any suggestions on one that it will fit?

Any other usage tips or anomolies with this model?

1. Mine has an FSE M3 set and seems OK with the pin in. And yes, that pin is only on the Argies.

2. Yes, the Argies used the high line of sight, the didn't change when FN did with the G1 contract. And yes, the Argie rear sight is taller than the standard metric. Search around in R&D, somebody once measured all the sights.

4. Don't bother with the cleaning kit. None of the US-made PGs I have will accept the cleaning kit.

johnnycobra
March 12, 2008, 15:39
Apparently I can't effectively use the search utility.

A sticky with pictures of all of the rear sights with heights would be very cool.

Can someone link to the old thread or someone with too much time on their hands post a table with pictures showing sight heights?

Thanks for the tip on the FSE M3 HTS!

Look for my DSA set on sale..... :)