PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Savage in 308 w/Accutrigger?

xdshooter
March 11, 2008, 10:39
seings that we gots a new bolt forum!!!!

Been thinking of a bolt gun for the wife (and me to plink with :) ) Talking with the family deer hunter, he is a Savage man, and says I should check out the newer Savages. Did some looking at the Savage website, but was wondering if anyone had opinions and first hand experience with them.

PS I don't plan on doing much modification to this firearm, so please don't say "get a rem 700 so you can modify it" I do like remington 700s, but I am not necessarily buying one.

Blue Monster
March 11, 2008, 11:11
Buy one, they are superb.
Best trigger and platform for the money, bench rest shooters swear by Savage, I do too.
I own 3 Savage bolts everyone of them worked out of the box, no problem. I can't say that about my Browning or Remi. Just one mans opinion.

jaykden
March 11, 2008, 11:27
i have a 10FP with the accutrigger.

maybe not quite as nice as a top of the line aftermarket trigger, but WAY better than any other factory trigger i've pulled.

you may not want to modify the rifle much, but the plastic stocks are terrible (IMHO).

for an extra 100 bucks or so you can get a bell and carlson stock and let me tell you, it turns a good rifle into a GREAT rifle.

PBR Streetgang
March 11, 2008, 11:47
I have the 110FP LE in .308 with a 20" barrel. It shoots Aussie surplus as accurate as any match ammo I have tried. Just have to think about it and BOOM! I always like to see how my first cold shot lands and I'm always within 1/2 inch at 100 yds. Not bad for a $500.00 gun with a $100.00 BSA scope!
Get one, you'll love it.

Groucho
March 11, 2008, 13:15
I guess this may count as piling on, but GET ONE. I have a 10FP with the accutrigger. The rifle was accurate right out of the box. I worked up a load for the rifle and at 100 yards I'm able to shoot groups that all touch. This is from a bench and I have to do my part. The stock isn't so great, but I haven't replaced it based on the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." With groups like that, I'm not prone to fix anything. Only thing I'd do differently is go for a shorter barrel. Mine is 24" and it is front heavy. Not a rifle I'd want to carry for long in the field.

HTH

Groucho

xdshooter
March 11, 2008, 16:38
for an extra 100 bucks or so you can get a bell and carlson stock and let me tell you, it turns a good rifle into a GREAT rifle.

Ok, I would have no problem switching out stocks, but would this be a purchase from, say midwayusa.com or, could you order it from Savage that way as an option?

Also, can you guys give any insight into what the numbering and lettering system Savage uses means? Near as I can tell, if its a three digit rifle, its on a short action and if its a two digit, its a long action?

thanks
xdshooter

dbbarton
March 11, 2008, 20:02
I picked up a savage 10fp (short action) with the 20" barrel at a local show in Jan. Also scored a chote stock and versapod at the same show. Purchased a leupold base at my nearby gun shop. Next save money for a burris scope. Hav'nt fired it yet but I am itching to get out to the range. Everyone seems to speak highly of these rifles. Only draw back I have heard Is they are very heavy.

JohnnyMac
March 11, 2008, 23:32
Originally posted by xdshooter

Also, can you guys give any insight into what the numbering and lettering system Savage uses means? Near as I can tell, if its a three digit rifle, its on a short action and if its a two digit, its a long action?

thanks
xdshooter

Two digit model # = short action
Three digit model # = long action
The second (or third) digit denotes such things as clip vs "blind" magazine, wood vs synthetic, stainless vs standard barrel

JMc

Groucho
March 12, 2008, 07:26
Try http://savagearms.com/ . That should give you pictures and everything.

Groucho

RottenII
March 15, 2008, 05:53
The factory stock is crap but the rifle itself is a tackdriver. I shoot a 700 as a sniper on my depts swat team and the Savage will outshoot it any day for considerably less. I replaced the stock with a custom one from McMillan.

RG Coburn
March 15, 2008, 20:14
Looked thru the online catalog. It looks like the only one with factory iron sights is the "european" variety. I wish they'd make one,in .308 with ruggged-ized stock,hardware and military sights.Give a rugged detach box mag. Kinda like accuracy internationals arctic rifle,but affordable...

dbbarton
March 15, 2008, 21:09
Just finished fitting mine with a nikon 4.5-16x40 scope and leupold rings. Heading out to the range tom. am. Break in the barrel, zero the scope and play with the FAL for a few. Life is good!

leek
March 15, 2008, 23:08
I just picked up a 10-fp with 20" bull barrel and aftermarket stock. Shot it today and did very good. The Accutriger is great. With the bull barrel, heavy stock and big optics it sure is heavy------------heck FALs seem light now!

Heat
March 22, 2008, 18:55
Originally posted by PBR Streetgang
I have the 110FP LE in .308 with a 20" barrel. It shoots Aussie surplus as accurate as any match ammo I have tried. Just have to think about it and BOOM! I always like to see how my first cold shot lands and I'm always within 1/2 inch at 100 yds. Not bad for a $500.00 gun with a $100.00 BSA scope!
Get one, you'll love it.

I HAD the same rifle but short action .308, popped on a Bell&Carlson stock and open sights and that thing shot VERY well..loved it and like a fool sold it to pay for another rifle ..I am thinking of getting another and duplicating it..best value in a push feed--stock only runs around $120-ish thru midway.com
Outshot my mauser by far and most other rifles as well!

http://i26.tinypic.com/mtpixx.jpg

Hot Diggity
March 23, 2008, 23:08
No need to modify the rifle at all except perhaps to add a little height on the comb to line your eye up perfectly with the scope.

Accu-trigger makes the "surprise" part of the trigger squeeze easy.

Even with the factory stock, the rifle is a joy to shoot, and deserves optics and mounts that are equal to its' capabilities. You could buy a package with the one-size-fits-most scope already mounted, or you could buy really good optics and mounts, and easily end up with more money in optics than you have invested in the rifle. (I like Leupold on Ken Ferrell mounts and rings)

My old model 10 shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards with Port, or LC89 surplus, and does a bit better with my handloads. It's a keeper.

HD