PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic: Best Buy

ftierson
March 11, 2008, 01:24
The Weatherby Vanguard and Howa Lightning/1500 (essentially the same gun) are the best buys in the good old USA right now, quality for money...

Anyone who says differently probably doesn't agree.

Then again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Often, of course, their opinion is wrong...

:)

Forrest

ftierson
March 11, 2008, 01:56
ftierson has said that Weatherby Vanguards are the best...

ftierson said that before most anyone else...

ftierson predicts that their price will go up, even though there was a recent price reduction (pay no attention to the reduction, nor the man behind the curtain)...

ftierson is always right, and working hard to bring the truth to the undeserving...

Dark tonight, getting light towards morning...

Sorry...

Just practicing my 411 impersonation...

Forrest

Andy the Aussie
March 11, 2008, 01:58
Gotta agree.....my 1982 made Vanguard is a GREAT rifle. I have taken more critters with it than anything else. Changed out the wood stock for a McMillan stock about 10 years ago an have not looked back since. Had it re-crowned around 1997 or so and it still shoots under 1 MOA with my reloads.

Andy:cool:

kycrawler
March 11, 2008, 11:38
check out the weatherby vanguard varmint specials the vanguard line is a better deal than a savage in my opinion

Jez Cruzen
March 11, 2008, 15:38
I have one of them thar Vanguards in inventory. It came with a green McMillian fiberglass stock. Really don't know when it was made. Bought it used from a friend a long time ago. I sent it out to be Nitexed soon after aquiring it. Topped it with a 3 X 9 Leupold matt finished scope w/Leupold quick detachable mounts. Its a .270win, and I've killed a lot of deer with it over the years.

RT
March 13, 2008, 02:54
My foot dr wants one of them, but he wants a older one, is there any differance from the older ones to the new ones. i need some info please. and Forrest how have you been? long time and no pm's your friend~Richard:whiskey:

RT
March 14, 2008, 17:31
bump for an answer, please~R

ftierson
March 14, 2008, 22:24
Hey, Richard, what's up...?

I don't really know the answer to your question, which is why I haven't commented before now. I just assumed that someone would know the answer and jump in.

Then again, not knowing the answer has never stopped me before...:)

The current Weatherby Vanguard rifle is manufactured by Howa in Japan. Actually, I think that the Howa manufactured barreled actions are imported by Weatherby and stocked in this country. At least, that's what I've heard mentioned. Several usually reliable sources have made mistakes with their discussion of Howa and Vanguard rifles (for example, the 26th Blue Book says that the Vanguards are made in this country. I guess the authors never noticed the 'Made in Japan' on the side of the rifles).

Howa began manufacturing the 1500 around about 1973. I purchased a Howa 1500 barreled action in .30-06 (and put it in a Ramline SynTech stock) in 1993. Several years later, there was a recall of these rifles to have some parts replaced in the bolt (the earlier bolts could have the rear parts assembled incorrectly and, when that happened, the bolt could be closed without locking correctly. Bummer... However, the original design was completely safe if assembled correctly. The recall simply replaced a couple of parts with ones that couldn't be incorrectly assembled).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'older ones.' Currently, the main differences between the Howa 1500/Lightning and the Weatherby Vanguard are mostly cosmetic. The Vanguard has a somewhat turned down bolt shroud compared to the Howa 1500, which makes it look a little more streamlined and has somewhat the look of the Weatherby Mark V bolt 'shroud' (which is probably why Weatherby asked for it, of course). The Vanguard also has some milled lines running the length of the bolt body, again to make it look a little more Weatherby-like. In standard calibers, the Vanguards have 24 inch barrels while the Howa 1500s come with a 22 inch barrel. Magnum chamberings have longer barrels (usually another 2 inches).

Both actions are still made out of steel, with aluminum trigger guards and floorplates (like most all of the rest).

As I mentioned above, these two rifles (although they're really the same rifle, of course) are the best buy in the country right now. Personally, I prefer the Vanguard because of the extra two inches of barrel length, but many prefer shorter barrels.

I would really like Weatherby Vanguards in 6.5x55mm, 8x57mm and 7x57mm, but I won't be holding my breath...

Later,

Forrest

k7kit
March 16, 2008, 16:04
I have a S/S Vanguard in .223. The extra two inches of barrel is exactly why I bought it instead of a Howa.

ftierson
April 02, 2008, 23:28
Did I mention that the Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic is a best buy...?

Forrest

Super B
April 29, 2008, 08:21
I have a Howa 1500 Bull barrel in .308. I put it into a Boyds laminated stock and it is the most accurate rifle I own.

Jonnie G. Tyler
May 08, 2008, 14:47
I bought a synthetic stocked Vanguard .30-06 at Walmart about 3 or 4 yrs ago on close out. $350. :tongue:

Carried it that one year and haven't gotten a hunting license since. :?

ftierson
May 08, 2008, 15:07
Originally posted by Jonnie G. Tyler
I bought a synthetic stocked Vanguard .30-06 at Walmart about 3 or 4 yrs ago on close out. $350. :tongue:

Carried it that one year and haven't gotten a hunting license since. :?

It was so bad that it drove you to give up hunting, eh?

Forrest

Blaster
May 08, 2008, 19:30
Wow, it's starting to appear that Forrest might kinda like the Weatherby Vanguard synthetic. I just can't imagine what gave me that idea.:biggrin:

Jonnie G. Tyler
May 08, 2008, 22:43
Originally posted by ftierson

It was so bad that it drove you to give up hunting, eh?

Forrest

hehe..:p

More like I got tired of the Colorado Dept. of Wildlife's policies, so I quit giving them money.

Still like the Vanguard tho.

Voided37
May 09, 2008, 07:16
A buddy of mine wanted a Weatherby all his life.
I was with him in Gettysburg, PA about 1984 when he finally scored a Vanguard. We got it back to DC where our home base was and that's when he saw the "Made in Japan" on it. Goodness....was he ever sick! This was back during the BUY AMERICAN days when folks still cared about an ideal called American craftsmanship.
He then had a Washington area gunsmith mount a Leopold on it and bung the scope mounting screws all up, as well as scar the receiver! Talk about somebody getting ticked off!
I hated he had so much trouble yet now all I can do is chuckle about it, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF HIM! :devil:
A few short months later when we were back home in the TN sticks a thief stole it. That rifle sure was a bad deal for my friend. But regardless, it would still make white roll come deer hunting time. It was in 30-06 caliber. Nothing wrong with a Vanguard, just my friend...

Jailguard
May 09, 2008, 11:57
I had the Howa 1500 in 30-06 that was zeroed for 165gr hand loads. It would shoot sub 1 inch. The think I liked about that rifle is it would shoot 150 gr winchester silver tips about 1 inch high over zero and 180 remington core lock about 1 inch low all grouping at about 1inch. What I would get were three tight little groups. it was a great gun but I got a case of this is kind of a plain rifle and that one on the wall is nicer looking and new so it should shoot better, and traded it. Dumbest thing I ever did.
Been wanting to get another one for quite a while just havent got around to it.

ftierson
May 10, 2008, 13:40
Originally posted by Jonnie G. Tyler
More like I got tired of the Colorado Dept. of Wildlife's policies, so I quit giving them money.

Still like the Vanguard tho.

Also living in Colorado, I know exactly what you mean...

And I still like the Vanguard too...

Forrest

Bug Tussell
May 20, 2008, 05:07
I don't know why, but I'm getting the impression that the Vanguard is a "best buy"...

Okinawa 1975 - at Sukeran the PX had a little rifle shop tucked away in one corner. All the shop stocked was Weatherby rifles. The upper row was the higher grade of Weatherby (the name escapes me) and the lower row was all Vanguards.
I was going to buy one but my DROS date wouldn't allow the paperwork to clear in time to import the rifle per the guy behind the counter.
IIRC - $279 each for the upper rack rifles and $179 for the Vanguard - this price included a scope of some sort.

Let's see, Nikon F1 cameras were $300 each and Rolex Submariners were the same...

Powderfinger
June 14, 2008, 13:04
Check on the Vanguard bolt recall here. (http://www.weatherby.com/safety.asp)

ftierson
June 15, 2008, 01:02
Originally posted by Powderfinger
Check on the Vanguard bolt recall here. (http://www.weatherby.com/safety.asp)

It's a good idea to check this out, but keep in mind that this recall affects Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard rifles from quite a while back (more than 15 years ago). This problem does not exist with currently produced rifles...

And the problem only exists if you incorrectly assemble the bolt/bolt shroud assembly on the 'old' guns. There is no safety problem if the bolt is correctly assembled...

Forrest

newfalguy101
June 15, 2008, 01:07
Hey Forrest,

whatta think of the Weatherby Vaguard rifles???:p

ftierson
June 15, 2008, 01:12
Originally posted by newfalguy101
Hey Forrest,

whatta think of the Weatherby Vaguard rifles???:p

They're a best buy...

Forrest

ftierson
July 06, 2008, 01:27
They're a best buy...

Yup...

I agree with ftierson...

Forrest

Andy the Aussie
July 06, 2008, 02:08
Well I had a dilemma just today......see I am away for a weeks hunting leaving this Friday (11th) and as I work between now and then I figure I will get all the packing done. So I am at the safe and could not choose between my Sako 308 and Weatherby 300WM.....lucky I have a double rifle case I guess.... ;)

The Sako is more practical for this hunt but there is a (rough) bench set up from which I can shoot out to about 500m so i am taking the Weatherby just to fine tune the zero as I put a new 3.5-10 Leupold on it (thanks Bigant) last year that I have yet to fully tinker with. 25 years now and the Weatherby has not let me down... ;) :biggrin:

Andy

ftierson
July 06, 2008, 03:39
I wish you a lot of luck during your week of hunting, Andy...

Forrest

newfalguy101
July 06, 2008, 05:02
I wish you a lot of luck during your week of hunting, Andy...

Forrest

What he said

well except the "Forrest" part :biggrin: