PDA

View Full Version : How many here have a REAL STEYR AUG???

Thorack
March 10, 2008, 23:13
Just looking for numbers here.

I managed to find one at a decent price about 5 years ago. Its NIB so of course I've been a pussy and never shot it. What does everyone think of the real Steyr jobbies VS the Faux AUG?

Thorack
Your Man in Iraq

ftierson
March 11, 2008, 00:39
I like mine...

I picked up one of the Steyr black stocksets set up to take M16 mags this past year, but I haven't taken the opportunity to try it yet...

CDNN has the NATO mag stocksets and original mags for the AUG, both the 30rd mags and the 42rd mags. Get some while the getting is good...

The only thing that I wish that I had done differently is that I'd like the scope with the donut and the center dot (mostly a US LEO option at the time, I think) and not just the donut that I have...

Having said that, you can still shoot pretty accurately with just the donut, and it certainly is fast for a traditional riflescope...

Forrest

turner2
March 11, 2008, 06:04
I like mine. USR and regular green aug. For me, they are the easiest gun I own to shoot with. The donut scope just works for me. Also, all the weight is on your shoulder (it's ass-heavy) so it's effortless to hold. Trigger sucks for target shooting but that's not what the gun is for.

Bug Tussell
March 11, 2008, 08:52
Originally posted by turner2
I Trigger sucks for target shooting but that's not what the gun is for.

I put the "Trigger Tamer" in my MSAR. It makes for a smoother less weighty trigger.
There are some polishing techniques for smoothing the trigger as well but I haven't tried them yet.

Bug Tussell
March 11, 2008, 17:10
Originally posted by ftierson
I CDNN has the NATO mag stocksets and original mags for the AUG, both the 30rd mags and the 42rd mags. Get some while the getting is good...

Forrest

You should check out the MSAR mags - they will fit in the AUG and from what we've seen comparing the CDNN AUG mag with the MSAR mags the MSAR mags have stouter springs plus they are running about $9 cheaper. We've had some FTF's that we are attributing to the weaker springs in the AUG mag.

ftierson
March 13, 2008, 15:05
R,

I've never had any problems with the original Steyr 30 or 42 round mags and I have a bunch of them...

But, enough of them...?

When do we ever have enough mags?

When I get a chance, I'll take a look at the MSAR mags...

Thanks for the info...

Forrest

KIT
March 13, 2008, 18:43
Got 3...All Green stocked Gun South imports.

-KIT-

ftierson
March 13, 2008, 20:13
Originally posted by KIT
Got 3...All Green stocked Gun South imports.

The one that I have is a green stocked Interarms import that I purchased NIB in 1985.

Just out of curiosity, when did you pick yours up?

Forrest

KIT
March 13, 2008, 21:02
Forest

I picked the first one up in the late 90's from Pete Athens (PJS Steyr Aug in NC). I liked it so much I got 2 more in 2000 from the same dealer in Las Vegas, NV when I was traveling there quite a bit. Both of them were NIB condition. I understand that the earliest imported semi-auto AUG's (900 sn prefix I believe) were mostly Interarms imports given that they were the initial N.A. importer. Gun South then assumed responsibility for N.A. importation until the assault ban legislation hit. I am on the road right now and am unable to check my rifles but believe them to be 903 sn prefix examples.

Every AUG I have ever fired ran great and was very accurate.

-KIT-

fastprofessor
March 13, 2008, 21:11
Originally posted by ftierson

The one that I have is a green stocked Interarms import that I purchased NIB in 1985.

Just out of curiosity, when did you pick yours up?

Forrest

Go#dam$#%, Forrest, If I were as old as you were in 1985, I'd have bought one then too. :biggrin: I remember salivating over the pictures of em in the gun rags, but they were just too expensive for a 14 year old to purchase at the time. Unfortunately, they got banned before I starting making any real money. I am on the waiting list for a MSAR clone though.

old_man00
March 13, 2008, 21:15
Mine is an Interarms, 902 prefix. Shot 20 times and put away. Bought about mid 80's, I think.

ftierson
March 13, 2008, 22:41
Originally posted by KIT
Forest

I picked the first one up in the late 90's from Pete Athens (PJS Steyr Aug in NC). I liked it so much I got 2 more in 2000 from the same dealer in Las Vegas, NV when I was traveling there quite a bit. Both of them were NIB condition. I understand that the earliest imported semi-auto AUG's (900 sn prefix I believe) were mostly Interarms imports given that they were the initial N.A. importer. Gun South then assumed responsibility for N.A. importation until the assault ban legislation hit. I am on the road right now and am unable to check my rifles but believe them to be 903 sn prefix examples.

Every AUG I have ever fired ran great and was very accurate.

-KIT-

Thanks for the info, KIT...

The one that I have is a 901 prefix gun...

They are great rifles...

Forrest

ftierson
March 13, 2008, 22:45
Originally posted by fastprofessor
Go#dam$#%, Forrest, If I were as old as you were in 1985, I'd have bought one then too. :biggrin: I remember salivating over the pictures of em in the gun rags, but they were just too expensive for a 14 year old to purchase at the time. Unfortunately, they got banned before I starting making any real money. I am on the waiting list for a MSAR clone though.

Yeah, rub it in, Greg...

I am old...

Old enough to know a good gun when I see it...:)

I'm even thinking of picking up a MSAR clone too...

If my 20inch Standard RRA LAR-8A2 would just get here, I'd have something to play with for a while until the MSAR rifles become easier to find...

:)

Forrest

ftierson
March 13, 2008, 22:49
Originally posted by old_man00
Mine is an Interarms, 902 prefix. Shot 20 times and put away. Bought about mid 80's, I think.

Thanks for the info...

I've tried to figure out how many rifles were imported by Interarms in their one-year importation slot before things moved to Gun South, but I haven't had much luck.

Even the people at Steyr just told me that such production information is considered proprietary by them and they won't release it (to me, anyway)...

Forrest

Turk
March 21, 2008, 19:38
Mine is a 902SA Interarms. I picked it up recently on a trade for a Mint FAL & an AR-10. It came w/ 10 mags (mix of 30s & 42s) & a full size Pellican 1700 wheeled case w/ cut-out for the assembled AUG & mags. Trigger pull is 4.5# with a crisp break. I do love the doughnut. It will hold (when I do my part) 1.5" at 100 yds (from a bench).

royke
April 11, 2008, 20:14
I got mine used over 20 years ago. You don't want to know what I paid for it.
Classic green, 20" barrel, stock scope. I don't shoot it much anymore but still
a joy to own.

blfuller
April 16, 2008, 07:32
I have a real Steyr USR and I like it. I cannot compare to the new US clones as I have not seen them in person. I replaced the neutered barrel removal button with a standard one and that has been my only modification. My only gripe is being unable to find a factory picatinny rail for it.

STEYR AUGA3
April 16, 2008, 11:25
Cant believe I found this thread.. I made up my handle prior to coming here.

I spoke with the folks at Steyr USA a couple of weeks ago to try to get an A2 scope rail and they said they are going to introduce the SSG3 in the next few weeks. ( yea, he said SSG3) The guy I spoke with was very "matter of fact " about it. He said the scope rail for the new gun will will fit the A2

I've loved the AUGS for a while now and have:

1. Black police AUG
2. Special reciever gun - green with 16 barrel
3. A2 I built from a new german police parts kit, USR receiver and US made microtech parts.
4. Microtech Limited Edition
5. Standard Microtech - optic ready

Also, I belive that a man named Karl Walter used to work for Steyr USA. He now works for Microtech. I found this interesting. I spoke with him and Microtech and he seemed really cool. )

K.O.A.M.
April 16, 2008, 13:36
I have never seen less fanfare for such an eagerly anticipated project.

Bug Tussell
April 16, 2008, 21:33
Originally posted by K.O.A.M.
I have never seen less fanfare for such an eagerly anticipated project.

Pretty much what I see here is most of the genuine Steyr AUGs are safe queens... I've had a couple safe queens. I got rid of them. Didn't see the point of owning a firearm that I was afraid to shoot lest it lose its value.

To each his own, just not for me. :aug:

cliffg
June 26, 2008, 22:09
Ah, I love reviving a dead thread.....

I got my AUG new in 1985, and paid the princely sum (for me, at the time) of $485.00 for it, plus $35.00 (I think) for three 30-rd. magazines. Green stock, 20" barrel. It is not a safe queen; I put a couple hundred rounds thru it yearly. It is the most accurate 5.56mm service rifle I have ever owned, and a pleasure to shoot. Neuter gnats at 100 meters, it can. And now that my daughter is old enough, she likes to shoot it, too.

My family knows that if I get to the point we have to sell the AUG, they're next......

Monkeyman
June 27, 2008, 13:23
I own a real, select-fire A1 with 9x19 conversion. Unlike everyone else's (it would seem), mine has a trigger that is better than any other M16, FN or HK battle rifle I've experienced. If the scope was lighted It would be great but I really wish I had an A2 receiver so i could change the optic, especially since it is such a PITA to zero between barrel changes.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/1115AUG_A1_and_9mm_conversion.jpg

BrenLover
July 02, 2008, 19:51
Have 2 A1s with OEM and Nato stocks, 16, 20, and 24" barrels.

My favorite guns.

KBAR04
July 02, 2008, 20:39
Ive owned them for 20 years now. I sold off my original A2 and early A1, now I just have a 906 series black 16". I do like these guns alot. I prefer the standard optic on them after trying all the diff gee-whiz optics on the A2.

ActionYobbo
July 06, 2008, 18:07
I had a goverment issue one. went from a nice L1A1 to the AUG. I hated the AUG
I broke 2 before I left the army

Lee Carpentieri
July 06, 2008, 22:55
I had three Augs, Two 901 series and a A1 special reciever. The A1 special reciever had a La France Registered Full- Auto trigger pack and a modified semi-auto stock to fit the military full-auto trigger pack all done and registered by La France. Sold both the semi-autos before the assault weapons ban sunsetted and then sold the full-auto to PJS about 3 years ago. What I never liked about the Aug is that when looking through the scope and firing it that out of the corner of your eye you see brass flying out the ejection port. It's very accurate with any barrel combination, Especially with the 24 inch heavy barrel. It's very awkward trying to use a 100 rnd Beta mag with the Aug though, You kinda have to contort your hand under it to get to the trigger.

BigdaddyG
July 16, 2008, 03:46
I have an early AUG. I also had a later model and a spare flat top reciever. I sold those to pay for several AR-10's a while back. Mine have always been trouble free. I learned to tune the triggers a bit 20 years ago when we used the AUG to shoot SOF.