PDA

View Full Version : MSAR vs TPD AUG Clones - Opinions?

Goderator
March 10, 2008, 22:15
I'm thinking of getting one or the other.. I know the TPD's aren't out yet but they're looking to be more like the original than the MSAR.

So.. opinions on either one?

Ssarge
March 11, 2008, 01:11
I have a MSAR. It's a lot like the Kiwi version of the AUG with updates. I'm really pleased with mine. I have shot U.S. Custom's AUG's previously as well as standard AUG's and frankly I would rather have my MSAR. (I like the fluted barrels, and with the possibility of an AW ban, made in the USA don't hurt one bit!) Fit and finish is every bit as good as any of the Austrian rifles I have seen.
As for TPD's version. Well, we'll see. Cheap mag's is all it has going for it over the MSAR that I see. Since the MSAR is out there and now has a proven, though limited track record, it's still less than 1/2 the price of a real AUG.
Only time will tell, and with all the nut's shooting folks and the economy slip sliding away who knows just how much of that we have? :?

Andy the Aussie
March 11, 2008, 01:45
Originally posted by Ssarge
It's a lot like the Kiwi version of the AUG ....you mean the Aussie version that we sold the Kiwis ... ;)

Ssarge
March 11, 2008, 01:53
You just mad 'cause you can't have one, so shut up! Wanker! :shades: :aug:

Andy the Aussie
March 11, 2008, 01:55
You just mad 'cause you can't have one, so shut up! Wanker! :shades: :aug: ...I STILL have more rounds down range out of the type than YOU....:rofl: ;)

Ssarge
March 11, 2008, 02:27
Are you sure? Custom's had a lot of spare ammo on Blue Lightning. Sitting out in a go fast boat in the Gulf of Mexico can sure get boring.

Andy the Aussie
March 11, 2008, 04:17
Are you sure? Custom's had a lot of spare ammo on Blue Lightning. Sitting out in a go fast boat in the Gulf of Mexico can sure get boring. .... yeah....I was there for large parts of the SARP weapons trial here that saw the AUG adopted ... ;)

Bug Tussell
March 11, 2008, 08:46
I can't speak for the TPD but the workmanship on the MSAR is fantastic. MSAR did a lot of things right with this one.

Mad Dog 7.62
March 11, 2008, 19:33
Its hard to compare them until the TPD unit actually is out. MSAR did a fantastic job on thiers though. The fit, finish and attention to detail is incredible. And mine runs perfect, even with Wolf ammo (as long I set the gas on high for the Wolf).

For a shooter, I cannot see ANY reason to spend the extra $$$ for a "real" AUG. Collectors value is a different story of course.

It seems as if TPD may have hit some bumps in the road in getting thiers into production too....not sure when to expect it to really hit the street.
MD

Ssarge
March 12, 2008, 15:16
Here's some info I found on the TPD. http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4394

FAL
March 12, 2008, 20:21
I got one of the early Special Edition MSARs and I've been extremely happy with it. It has functioned flawlessly for me and I've had it out to the range several times. They really did a fantastic job with this and have stood behind their product the way a manufacturer should. If I were getting one today, I'd get it without the optic, just the rail, and add my own sight. The optic that it comes with is okay but I'd rather have a rail and put a red dot sight on it. But that's just me...

Mad Dog 7.62
March 13, 2008, 01:40
Originally posted by FAL
If I were getting one today, I'd get it without the optic, just the rail, and add my own sight.

You do know you can buy the rail, don'tcha? You could probably buy the rail, then sell the sight that came on it pretty easily. I am gonna pick up a rail for mine (when I can find one thats not 2 x list price :eek: ) and put an EoTech and magnifier on it.

I don't mean to run down TPD, but they seem to be having a bit of trouble getting thier AXR to market. So time will tell on that one.
MD

FAL
March 13, 2008, 09:07
Originally posted by Mad Dog 7.62

You do know you can buy the rail, don'tcha? You could probably buy the rail, then sell the sight that came on it pretty easily. I am gonna pick up a rail for mine (when I can find one thats not 2 x list price :eek: ) and put an EoTech and magnifier on it.

I don't mean to run down TPD, but they seem to be having a bit of trouble getting thier AXR to market. So time will tell on that one.
MD
Yeah, I do realize that. I'm waiting for my EOTech and magnifier (been waiting for about 6 months now), so if that ever shows up that's my plan.

Slow
March 13, 2008, 14:02
Originally posted by Goderator
I'm thinking of getting one or the other.. I know the TPD's aren't out yet but they're looking to be more like the original than the MSAR.

So.. opinions on either one?

wanna shoot a MSAR, if you got a range and time give me a pm and ill bring mine.

Joe Muffin
March 14, 2008, 10:22
Hello all! I received my MSAR two weeks ago. I am happy with the quality except for the three cheesy looking nuts under the scope. The gun did not
like winchester factory 55gr fmj ammo but my handloads worked very well.
Pretty accurate also.

pappadiddypop
March 14, 2008, 16:36
I've heard STG-556 rifles will eat anything including Wolf but for some reason they don't like Winchester White Box.

Mad Dog 7.62
March 14, 2008, 21:03
Mine will eat Wolf all day, but the gas needs to be on "high". You might try setting it on high with the Winchester and see what happens.
MD

Cava3r4
March 21, 2008, 10:40
so where do you buy this MSAR?
what do they cost (ballpark figure)?
I went to there website and got linked to dealers that had NO info on their websites.
TIA
Bob

Ssarge
March 21, 2008, 14:46
I traded for mine, so paid no cash. One way to get them if no local dealers have them is off gunbroker.com. http://gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp
You are looking at approx. $2,000 for a standard model and $2,600 for the limited edition. Those prices vary, I have seen the standards go for $1,800 if you shop around.

Gary104
March 21, 2008, 21:07
TPD appears to be shipping a few now.

tpd forum (http://www.tpdusa.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=6938f4dd280fd510e1c96bf3a49e403b)

Bug Tussell
March 22, 2008, 07:15
Originally posted by Cava3r4
so where do you buy this MSAR?
what do they cost (ballpark figure)?
I went to there website and got linked to dealers that had NO info on their websites.
TIA
Bob

Give a RATworx a shout. IIRC they are on the MSAR website as an authorized dealer. They are some good folks to deal with.

Bug Tussell
March 22, 2008, 07:18
Originally posted by FAL
... If I were getting one today, I'd get it without the optic, just the rail, and add my own sight. The optic that it comes with is okay but I'd rather have a rail and put a red dot sight on it. But that's just me...

Same here. I like the optic but the optic don't like my eyes. I'm thinking a fixed 4X on a rail.

Turk
March 22, 2008, 11:28
If the bbls are truly interchangable, I sure hope that they make a lot of 16" bbls cause, as far as I'm concerned I'll get one. I just can't see paying more than a MSAR or TPD for a replacement steyr short bbl.

Squint1
March 23, 2008, 13:37
I've got a black standard rifle with the rail (I put an old surplus ELCAN on it) and LOVE it. I always wanted an AUG when I was a teenager but couldn't come up with the dough. I have about 180 rounds through it with no problems. Very accurate, runs clean and cool but having your ear next to the chamber makes it seem louder than an AR.

ftierson
March 23, 2008, 14:41
Originally posted by Squint1
I've got a black standard rifle with the rail (I put an old surplus ELCAN on it) and LOVE it. I always wanted an AUG when I was a teenager but couldn't come up with the dough. I have about 180 rounds through it with no problems. Very accurate, runs clean and cool but having your ear next to the chamber makes it seem louder than an AR.

Both the British and Australian armies have experienced hearing problems with their bullpups (perhaps Andy can expand on that...).

I haven't heard anything from the French with the FAMAS, but I'm guessing that they're having similar problems.

As I understand it, it's not so much a noise problem (which could, relatively easily, be fixed) but a vibration problem (recoil impulse transmitted directly to the bones of the inner ear with the ear pressed against the rifle near the chamber)...

While the vibration problem is a difficult one to fix, just make sure that you're even more careful than you usually are with hearing protection when firing any of the bullpups.

Forrest

rawheadjim
March 24, 2008, 20:42
Atlantic has them on their website as "coming soon" at $1550 for the rail model

Andy the Aussie
March 24, 2008, 20:50
I have only heard anecdotal evidence of the hearing issues. I am familiar with the concept of vibration transmission through the skull to the ears and it's resultant damage on hearing (.50s are bad offenders for this I believe).

We issue a number of optic sights now for the F88 in addition to the standard 1.5x. These include ELCANs, ACOGs eo-Tech and Aimpoints. I personally think the ACOG is the pic of the crop just now.

Andy:aug:

xtremerange
May 09, 2008, 15:27
Just as I buy an MSAR this forum quiets down.

Got a green for a good price. Shot 80 rounds today at the indoor range. Used mixed IMI, Win and LC from the late 80's and early 90's. Ran flawlessly.

Groups great for 25 yards :sad: . I will try to get some time to get to the outdoor range soon.

Slow
May 09, 2008, 16:15
Congrats, and welcome to the club :aug:

It runs wolf ammo, but you have to set the gas plug to high setting, other wise the bolt rides over the next round.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=2149542

dirtyrice
May 10, 2008, 18:53
you bought a $2000 dollar rifle to run wolf through it?

Slow
May 11, 2008, 00:09
Originally posted by dirtyrice
you bought a $2000 dollar rifle to run wolf through it?

Yes and anthing else i can get my hands on :devil:

Barbcue
May 12, 2008, 21:46
looks sharp..

capman
June 08, 2008, 19:37
Got a MSAR railed model with 20" bbl a few weeks ago. It has failed to feed 3 times in 730 rounds of Fed AE 55 grain. The three failures came one for each brand new 30 round mag on their first use. Subsequent use of all mags has yielded zero failures. The quick change barrel is the coolest thing around. I am very happy with this rifle and highly recommend it.

arbob
June 19, 2008, 18:17
I just had to send my STG 556 back to MSAR. It wouldn`t feed or extract Federal American Eagle 55 grain or Lake City SS109. The gentleman, Tim in their Gun Room seemed genuinely concerned in his e-mail about getting the gun to run right. Since it was a birthday present to myself, I was a little bummed.:sad:

Azrial
June 19, 2008, 23:05
Is either one actually available as a 6.8mm? I saw the ads but was told that the rifle was not actually being produced in that caliber.

K.O.A.M.
June 21, 2008, 07:10
I suspect it will come out as an interchangeable set sometime soon. There's nothing in the proposed AWB that would prohibit accessories for existing rifles being produced. If I were in the manufacturing business, I'd be concentrating on completed rifles, magazines and receivers, with everything else to wait until after November.

Glucker
June 25, 2008, 07:14
Damn guys,

This is not the type of rifle I'd ever seriously consider shelling out money for, :fal: (preferring these), but now you guys got me thinking about one of these with all your glowing reports...;)

Turbozag
June 25, 2008, 19:53
I bought one after having heard glowing reports from a couple local guys/friends who own one.

I haven't got to shoot it yet. But as mentioned the fit and finish is excellent.

I got a black one with 16" barrel and rail. I mounted a compact ACOG on it.

Looking forward to shooting it ASAP.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2419839360_437d8363f6_o.jpg

:cool:

M38
June 30, 2008, 11:27
I picked up a STG-556 a week ago, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, hopefully that will change on Thursday.
Pic of it and my FS2000
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/M38/FS2000STG556.jpg

Merkava
June 30, 2008, 14:56
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/OpRN/100_1265.jpg
I have both also. I am really impressed with how these bullpups handle. Both optics are temps, will probably get ACOGs for both in the future.:aug: