PDA

View Full Version : Izzy HB Question

rra1251
February 26, 2008, 20:26
Are the front sights on an Izzy HB supposed to be open or closed ear?

Thanks.

elbo
February 26, 2008, 20:29
Yes

rra1251
February 26, 2008, 20:49
Originally posted by elbo
Yes

Uhh.... Does that mean both?:confused:

elbo
February 26, 2008, 21:56
Sure

vmtz
February 26, 2008, 22:51
HB's are generally open eared.

Vnce

Court in Fl
February 26, 2008, 23:26
The one I have has the solid ears gas block like this one.
But I have seen 2 or 3 with the open ears.
I think the open ears are more prone to get bent.

Court in FL.

Radio
February 27, 2008, 00:57
Those closed-ear gas blocks on the HB could be used as an anvil... purty thick.

Rooster
February 27, 2008, 12:52
The early HB had open ear gas blocks, the closed ear showe dup on the later rifles. I am not sure of the actual year that the change occured but it was fairly early on.

Falfegnügen
March 02, 2008, 22:01
Early FN-made Israeli pattern had open ear sights just like the earliest of Belgian FALO. This would be officially the "Israeli FN 7.62mm Model 1A Machine Gun" (English transliteration), or "Makle'a Kal FN 7,62 No.1 Mk aleph" as pronounced, more or less, in Hebrew.

Later Israeli (IMI) production FALO's had the unique Israeli designed heavy-duty solid ear gas block pictured above. This would be the "Light Machine Gun Model C" or "Makleon" in Hebrew. This was a completely IMI produced FAL, except for the receiver, which was still FN produced to some degree.

It's worth noting that this later style solid-ear gaslblock was also used on the standard barrel Israeli "7.62mm Self Loading Rifle Model C" (English transliteration), or "Rov've Mittan 7.62 mm Degem Gimel" in Hebrew, or "Romat C" for short. Many collectors feel that the standard barreled Israeli FAL always used the open-ear gas block. This is not correct.

When these changes were adopted, I don't know. I have tried, and have yet to find any definitive information. Also, I'm no expert on these rifles or this history, so please consider this information accordingly.