PDA

View Full Version : Aussie lower serial # info

truck 1
February 19, 2008, 14:20
Can Kevin Adams please help identify the origins of this Aussie lower. Ser.# AD7003156. It came from I.O. and the buttstock is S (short) , carry handle seems to be the NZ pattern , and I thought it might have been a PNG fitted rifle @ one time..Any help greatly appreciated.:biggrin:

truck 1
February 19, 2008, 14:52
Originally posted by truck 1
Can Kevin Adams please help identify the origins of this Aussie lower. Ser.# AD7003156. It came from I.O. and the buttstock is S (short) , carry handle seems to be the NZ pattern , and I thought it might have been a PNG fitted rifle @ one time..Any help greatly appreciated.:biggrin: Moderators please move this thread if needed.Sorry, I overlooked the placement of my post.:(

Abominog
February 20, 2008, 15:25
It's a Lithgow manufactured in 1970.

Ian Skennerton's book has the S/N deliveries. I don't have the book here, but maybe somebody can look it up.

Andy the Aussie
February 20, 2008, 17:56
Kuala Lumpur, some were fited with short butts according to Skennerton.

Andy:beer:

truck 1
February 20, 2008, 20:29
Many thanks guys.:D

johnny d
February 22, 2008, 01:11
My I.O. kit just showed up today and it's very similiar to Truck1's. It has the short butt stock and is serial # AD6703019. The hand guards have 2 arrow marks with a large capital "B" and "1961". Is this the date of manufacture?

truck 1
February 22, 2008, 01:50
How is the condition of your kit? Are the handguards solid or laminated wood? I bought my kit from a forum member and it was in VG condition with laminated handguards marked M78. I think yours might be British handguards .It is interesting to learn the history of these kits .Good luck with it.:smile:

johnny d
February 22, 2008, 11:05
Overall I'd say it's between good to very good. Black parkerized finish. I think you may be correct on the guards being Brit. They are solid wood and very smooth compared to the butt and PG which feel like a 80-120grit finish. Except for the rougher finish, both pieces are in very good condition with only a few shallow dings. I'm going to clean them up and smooth them out to match the guards. I have a nice metric barrel to use and I want to have the inch gas block fitted and rethreaded for the Aussie brake. I think it'll be a nice build when completed.

eagle54
February 23, 2008, 00:03
Truck1

The Ser.# AD7003156 in the Skennerton book shows - Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia which had some "S" Short buttstocks .

Johnny d - Your lower serial # AD6703019 - was Australian Army

Hope this helps
Eagle54

I repeated what Andy The Aussie stated

johnny d
February 23, 2008, 12:06
Thanks for the intel, Eagle. It looks like I'm just going to have to buy Skennerton's book. Sounds like lots of good stuff in there.

eagle54
February 23, 2008, 14:30
Hi Johnny d

Your Welcome -- You should buy the book ..it is well worth the money .. Gun Parts corp has them listed .. here is the link .. you can order on line ..

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=389770&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

Eagle54

Originally posted by johnny d
Thanks for the intel, Eagle. It looks like I'm just going to have to buy Skennerton's book. Sounds like lots of good stuff in there.

truck 1
February 23, 2008, 14:36
Thanks Eagle54! I've been looking for that book also.:beer:
Regards,Truck 1