PDA

View Full Version : Polish AK

onegunshort
January 20, 2008, 00:54
I finally finished this rifle the right way. It started about 3 years ago as a beautiful all matching Polish underfolder AKM kit. Possibly unfired and in 95% plus condition. I says to myself I'll just get an 80% receiver and drill all the holes and fit it myself and give it a nice spray paint finish. So I did.....and it worked.......only problem was it looked like #$*&@^#&*@()!@!!!!! I didn't paint any other metal, just the receiver. I didn't care for the folding stock either. So I sold the folding stock assembly and bought a standard laminated stock (I think it's romanian) and finished it to match the handguards. Then I picked up a Ewbank receiver at a gun show and fit it up to the gun. Fast forward about a year to the thursday before last, I sent the receiver out to be parkerized, have the cut for the double hook trigger made, and have "S" and "F" and detents added. I got it back in a week and installed it. (screw together build). Here is the finished rifle. Receiver work done by Mario at Piece of History Firearms, Tucson, AZ. I still have to test it before I loc-tite the screws.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg119/avanloon/ak47.jpg

Azrial
January 20, 2008, 03:05
You did good!:whiskey:

william013
January 20, 2008, 07:27
Excellent ! ! ! :cool:

RottenII
January 20, 2008, 09:33
Turned out great!

Carolina Slim
January 20, 2008, 10:55
Udaja sie Polska!

Nice Polish AK!

I have the Polish underfolder, I thought it would be uncomfortable to shoot but it is one of my favorite guns.

Brian in MN
January 20, 2008, 11:33
Hard to tell from a pic but the butt looks Russian, not Romanian. You did good.

gunplumber
January 20, 2008, 12:13
mario does niice engraving

myrockfight
January 28, 2008, 10:39
What size screws did you use? Did you buy them as a kit?

I was thinking I would do a screw build on a "G" Romanian kit, just to see how it went together. I bought one last year and haven't messed with it yet.

Congratulations! It does look good. I couldn't tell it was a screw build until I really looked hard at it too.

gunplumber
January 28, 2008, 12:48
Originally posted by myrockfight
What size screws did you use? Did you buy them as a kit?

I was thinking I would do a screw build on a "G" Romanian kit, just to see how it went together. I bought one last year and haven't messed with it yet.

Congratulations! It does look good. I couldn't tell it was a screw build until I really looked hard at it too.

Don't waste your time doing an abortion screw build. you learn nothing useful from it. Doing a correct rivet build is not hard - the only hard part is making the rivet heads look pretty. If you are considering a screw-up build, then you've already established that you don't care if it looks right.

Vaughn L. Allen
January 28, 2008, 12:54
Ditto Mark's comments on screw builds, don't waste your time. Rivets are the only way to go when building an AK. It doesn't take long to develop techniques for keeping the heads round.

onegunshort
January 28, 2008, 13:07
I think I used 10-32 grade 8 screws for the trunions. It was a few years ago so I can't quite remember. There was a fastenal store nearby that I got the screws from. I think the triggerguard has 8-32 and I ground the sides of the nuts down so they lock against each other and against the receiver walls. If I ever do another one I'm going the rivet route.

onegunshort
January 28, 2008, 13:10
duplicate response, disregard

myrockfight
January 28, 2008, 19:47
Gunplumber - I definitely appreciate what you are saying. For my first build, I was thinking I would use screws to do a mock-up first to make sure I get the fit proper, etc. Then, when I am happy with everything, go back and rivet everything up and call it good. Maybe even find a build party. But trust me when I say I am not someone to half-arse something.

I didn't say that, but I was thinking that way :biggrin: Actually, I am purchasing two FAL kits here shortly also. Your materials from ARS were highly recommended. I look forward to seeing them. You definitely have some nice looking rifles on your site.

Thanks for letting me know about the look of the screw build. I took note of the OP's rifle because (like you have obviously seen) the screw builds that I have seen looked absolutely awful. The OP's doesn't look bad at all, from what I can see.

MD3C
February 02, 2008, 05:32
Beautifully done.
I have a Vector Polish underfolder, it's nice.
I have sold several ARS AKs last year, they're beautiful.
M