PDA

View Full Version : Ak-74

KentuckyMedic
January 10, 2008, 20:31
I am looking at a Ak-74 its 5.45 can anyone give me any info i saw a post that the polish went back to the 7.62 why is the 5.45 no good? i just got 2 ak 47 im just wanting somthing lighter thanks rick

Dan44
January 10, 2008, 20:52
I thought the Poles went NATO? 5.56

XHardrock
January 10, 2008, 21:04
I like the 5.45 round for 2 reasons, accuracy is better and it's cheaper than 7.62X39.

KentuckyMedic
January 10, 2008, 21:24
I have no idea what they went too? i was just wanting some pros and cons from the forum before i spend 600 bucks. I just bought a couple ak 47's one is a Maadi and ones a yugo M70 both are 7.62 x39. I bought the maadi cause its lighter but the 74 feels lighter. thanks Rick

JimmyT
January 10, 2008, 22:22
Rick,
The ak-74 is much like our 5.56. smaller,better velocity,and flatter shooting. But, it comes with a price. The soviets found out the hard way in Afganistan that shooting the cameljockeys with it is much different than shooting at Nato troops wearing body armour. Little hole going in, little hole coming out. And the jockey keeps going and shooting, unless you pop his ass in the head. We found out same thing with the steel cored penetrator round out of the M-4 barrel.
That is why the Soviets,and the rest of the former warsaw pact have gone back to the 7.62x39. With exception to the Poles. They have gone to 5.56 chambering for their Ak's.
Just look at our brothers over in the sandbox now, being reissued M-14's. Not just for distance shooting or sniping, but for sheer knock em on there ass power!
Ohh, also, the '74 ammo is drying up. Most of what you find now is also corrosive as hell. And the mags are going up as well.That plastic crap worse than our '16 mags. Those things came in crates preloaded with ammo in Russia,made to shitcan after use, not try to keep up with or reload!
Hope this info helps, and I am sure I have probably stepped on toes but it all truth. Check it out yourself, you will see. But the '47 a much better rifle, parts availability is excellent. While the '74?? who knows. those dry up and will not be anymore. Especially we get hung with Obama or the witch!
JimmyT

mj2evans
January 11, 2008, 10:25
I like the 5.45. Accuracy is better and ammo is currently cheap (be sure to stock up!). While I agree the 762 likely is a better combat round I am just shooting paper and dirt clods so cheap, accurate ammo is great. Only issue I have is finding mags at decent prices for 5.45.

KentuckyMedic
January 11, 2008, 20:36
Guys,
thanks for the input. I will pass on the 5.45. Rick