PDA

View Full Version : Interchangeability: Israeli gas plug

another shooter
August 29, 2000, 19:45
Would an Israeli Gas Plug Assembly fit in an Stg58 ? They're $7.95 at Armscorp and I was thinking of replacing my gas plug (because it was kind of incompatible with the barrel-mounted bipod)

ErikAndersson
August 29, 2000, 19:49
Nope,Belgian,Argentine,Brazilian or South African will work.Israeli gas plug will not fit STG-58 gas block.

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik

gcc
August 29, 2000, 19:57
How are Izzy gas plugs different from those on other metric rifles? I thought Izzies differ only in barrel tread. Somebody please educate me. Thanks.

another shooter
August 29, 2000, 20:02
Thanks Erik...

I now know what to look for!! (Belgian,Argentine,Brazilian or South African)

ErikAndersson
August 29, 2000, 20:12
They are of the very early design.They are larger or at least won't fit the later gas blocks.They are also longer.There is a long metric gas plug that will"fit" the later gas block but this one requires a shorter gas piston.The israeli gas piston is even longer than the late ones,similar to the inch pattern piston.The latest gas plugs have no letters on them and will interchange with the STG-58 gas plug.I'm not certain as to long/short or length as it relates to date,first you must find a gas plug which fits the gas block and in order to use it you must have the matching piston.This would be one that fits flush with the receiver and carrier.Not too short,not too long.

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik

another shooter
August 29, 2000, 21:10
As usual, I am probably proceeding stupidly... What I probably should do is just buy another Stg gas plug and cut the lever off down a bit as L/FN had suggested previously.

ErikAndersson
August 29, 2000, 21:21
If you're going to buy another gas plug why not get one made without the lever?

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik

ErikAndersson
August 29, 2000, 21:24
On some of those STG-58 gas plugs you can rotate the lever the other way,but I'm not sure you can install it this way.

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik

another shooter
August 30, 2000, 00:50
Hi Erik,

I would have answered sooner but I had to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer... Anyway, youire right -- if I can find a plug without a lever, this really would be better than finding one with a lever and cutting the lever off! Thanks again for the input!

ErikAndersson
August 30, 2000, 00:55
Oh man,was that on tonight?I wanted to videotape it.

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik

derek huffman, azexarms
August 30, 2000, 01:18
I have plenty of gas plugs for STGs without levers, I personally like the lever. I'll swap your yours for mine straight across, plus you pay the US mail to your house. 3.20.

And the Izzy gas plug is shorter than the rest, but about the same lenght as an L1 oddly enough, they are not interchangable, since the L1s gas system works on a slanted angle the cut in the gasplug is much deeper and totally wrong.

ErikAndersson
August 30, 2000, 01:22
Hey another shooter,you could just buy one from Derek, then you would have both gas plugs.

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik

another shooter
August 30, 2000, 10:53
Thanks all...sounds like a plan to me...I'd rather keep my old plug and buy a second one, were that acceptable to Derek..

derek huffman, azexarms
August 31, 2000, 02:39
sure, but I'll have to charge ya 25 shipped. D.