PDA

View Full Version : GasTube Pin: fabricating a replacement

mrorange
October 28, 2000, 15:46
Finally got my STG/R1 mix kit from Harlan put together on a gear logo Imbel from AIM. Everything looks great and I am anxious to shoot it....BUT.....the kit was missing the gas tube pin. I hate to bug Harlan over what is probably at worst a five dollar part, also, I'm too damn anxious to wait for it to be mailed no matter where I would order it from.... Is there anything I can pick up at my local hardware store to use as a replacement, like what has been done with the bolt hold open pin? Anyone know the diameter/length of the pin, and if I could possibly buy a replacement locally? Anyone in the Cincinnati area have an extra one? Thanks in advance for the help.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: EMDII ]

Rats
October 28, 2000, 16:13
I beleave its a 5/64 drill bit but i have also used a wire coat hanger. Cut it with a side cutting snipper and trim to the proper length. RATS

sasquatch
October 28, 2000, 16:22

mrorange
October 28, 2000, 17:00
Originally posted by sasquatch:
The gas tube pin is a 5/64ths diameter, cut a drill bit shank to size with a Dremel and round the edges of the pin and it is as close to MILSPEC as you can get. Order another hold open device, they are not worth fixing. The ABSOLUTE best thing you can do for yourself is order the $99.00 R1 African FAL kit, that will give you all the spare parts, including the hold open you need.

So your saying the gas tube pin is 5/64th diameter? Does it matter about the length or can it protrude some from the gas block? My bolt hold open works fine, but your right, I would just order another one of those if it didn't, but you can still shoot the gun without that, you can't without the gas tube pin. I appreciate the help.

cogit8r
October 28, 2000, 17:33
My Fed Arms was also missing that pin (or the cocking slide lug---same size). Ran down to my local gunsmith, got a 50 cent split pin,installed and filed to fit. Must be filed to proper length.

Olds guns is fun!!!

W.E.G.
October 28, 2000, 17:36
If you allow the pin to protrude, it will interfere with the gas port adjustment ring.

You can easily get the right measurment if you use just drive the overly-long substitute pin in until one end is flush with the slot. Mark the the other side. Remove the substitute pin. Cut to length.

Voila!

mrorange
October 28, 2000, 17:51
O.K., it's Saturday and I'm still half asleep, is the gas tube pin 5/64th or is the bolt hold open pin 5/64th? Or both? My bolt hold open is fine, it's the gas tube pin I need. Time to attend the school for the mechanically declined....and then build a gun! WOOHOO!

Radio
October 28, 2000, 18:13
Okay it's Saturday and I actually have a freakin day off at home!! Yes, both the gas tube and cocking handle lug pins are 5/64 inch, cut-off drill bits work great. You'll get a good spare bolt-hold-open with Harlan's R1 kits but neither of the pins.

Coat hanger wire??!

--Radio

twodog
October 28, 2000, 18:39
Try piano wire, I got mine from Lowes Hardware Store. Sold in numerous sizes, is cheap and makes a bunch of pins.
And yes I am a frugal person.

Rats
October 28, 2000, 21:08
Yes coat hangers, they fit better than the 5/64 drill bits and you dont have to ruin a bit. RATS

W.E.G.
August 11, 2001, 22:14
moved to FAQ