PDA

View Full Version : Legal: renumbering a kit? (serial number)

Icarus
February 07, 2001, 21:42
How does one go about doing this?

[ October 20, 2001: Message edited by: gary.jeter ]

Icarus
February 08, 2001, 22:19
Please....anyone. Just interested in the process.

ricochet
February 11, 2001, 08:35
Icarus,
I do not know enough to tell you the legalities. On the gunplumber video, it is stated that the lower is not regulated as a firearm by BATF. Therefore you can renumber the lower if you want to. Some firearms are different, as the lower is regulated. (people please correct me if I am wrong). In my builds (2 so far) I have the lower numbers milled, thus leaving me a place to restamp numbers of the upper. If you are willing to spend $25 for the gunplumber video, you can get more info. While I do not agree 100% with his methods, I think his interpretations of the law would be more accurate than mine. The legal problems will come with trying or doing restamping of the upper receiver (in a FAL).
The stamping part is the easy part, the legalize is more difficult. Just trying to give you some info, I am not the expert.
As far as the process, I can offer no expertize, but go slow, this works for me.

Ratlord
February 11, 2001, 09:10
On AR15s the lower receiver is considered to be the gun. I'm not sure how this is decided though.

Chief351
February 11, 2001, 10:13
Just to add a little more confusion, I remember reading that in Canada the FAL lower receiver was the regulated part!

Basically, I think it's pretty much an arbitrary choice by the authorities in whatever jurisdiction you're in.

For HK type rifles it's the upper receiver, with the trigger housing, which is detachable, not regulated.

Dean P
February 11, 2001, 10:32
To add more confusion. Canadians call the lower receiver the trigger housing.The receiver is what you screw the barrel in. http://www.fnfal.com/forums/biggrin.gif

Double G Gunsmithing
February 11, 2001, 12:18
Dear All,

To end confusion :-)

FAL : upper is ser#, regulated part,

AR-15 / M-16 : lower is ser#, regulated part.

If it is an all matching ser# kit, I would leave it alone, if a mis-match, re-do it.

Opinions are like an anal orifice, everybody's got one :-) and most stink :-(

Sincerely, George L. Gouger
Life Member NRA Since 1969
www.doubleggunsmithing.com (http://www.doubleggunsmithing.com)

Dean P
February 11, 2001, 13:50
George I wash mine at least once a year

Icarus
February 12, 2001, 05:05
I should have been more clear. The rest of the kit would be numbered to match the upper receiver, which of course is the regulated part. Per the ATF....it is the gun. The smithys here offer a renumbering service. But before I have one of them do it...I'd like to know what they do to accomplish this. Call me AR.

Icarus
February 13, 2001, 05:22
BTT

Icarus
February 14, 2001, 14:26
btt

herman07
February 14, 2001, 22:51
I think that the receiver portion that accepts the magazine is what is considered the firearm by ATF. Thus the AR-15 lower receiver is the important part and the FAL upper receiver is the important part. Just my .02.

Rich@CGW
February 15, 2001, 05:23
You have several choices here.. you may either: Grind,Sand,File or mill out..
You may also weld in the letters and do the above.. never recomend that unless they stamped realy deep and the above will comprimise the structural integrity of the part..Welded areas will will always stand out, due to the weld being of different hardness..

Milling the lower receiver numbers is the safest way to avoid having your work stand out after refinish, As the case hardness will be removed and once parked, a Dark Black area will show.. Mostly on ALL R1 and Belgium lower that do not show a dreaded heat treat line that is on most STG58`s.

Icarus
February 15, 2001, 16:29
FINALLY. Someone w/ the answer. THANK YOU RICH! Now I know I don't want it done. My concern was a loss of strength.

Rich@CGW
February 15, 2001, 18:45
Originally posted by Icarus:
FINALLY. Someone w/ the answer. THANK YOU RICH! Now I know I don't want it done. My concern was a loss of strength.

Lets not right the restamping off just yet.. the areas on the FAL that are stamped, have plenty of material to work with, without sacrificing strength in key areas..If you screw up and have to remove them twice, then you will be on the edge. You basicly only get 1 shot at it http://www.fnfal.com/forums/smile.gif ..So, if you like the custom touch, then go for it !!
If your kit serial #`s already match, Then I suggest they stay that way to insure proof of the matching # kit, which lately have been selling for more than the non matching..

W.E.G.
October 20, 2001, 08:53
moved to FAQ