PDA

View Full Version : can anone help me with id?

greggwhat
January 03, 2008, 15:14
can anyone help me with id? i havent got to shoot the l1a1 yet what can i look for to make sure the rifle is going to shoot right it has a 19inch barrel will i have to open the gas port up?
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/gcomer/Picture034-1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/gcomer/Picture033.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/gcomer/Picture032.jpg

J. Armstrong
January 03, 2008, 17:18
So what is it you want ID'ed ? You already know it is an L1A1, looks to be built on a Century import Imbel receiver. Should be a nice rifle. Any probs due to its Century heritage should be easily fixable ( and I doubt you will have any at all ). The gas port should require no modification; FALs will generally run on the stock gas port size down to about 18" or somewhat less.

Just looking at the pix, it appears to have original inch furniture on it. Are you sure it is 922r compliant ? Double check the gas piston, if it is the Century 2 piece piston, you need to replace it ASAFP.

I might suggest you move this to gunsmithing or even general Firearms discussion. R&D is only for the mods to post in, normally.

MAINER
January 03, 2008, 17:25
You need a mag and some ammo.!

Don't worry about the gas port untill you've put some rounds thru it. 200 or more. 19" barrels usually don't need gas ports opened anyway.

Shoot it, then come back and post in "Gunsmithing" for help if you need it.

G'luck!

GOVTMOD
January 03, 2008, 21:34
At least he got his sneakers in there.

BillBailey
January 06, 2008, 21:09
I have a similar rifle only with a thumbhole stock and there are no marks on the upper other than L1A1 Sporter Cal .308 CAI - St Alb Vt and a serial number. Anyone know who made this upper? Approximate value?

Thanks
Bill

K.O.A.M.
January 26, 2008, 14:56
It's probably an Imbel upper, but could be Canadian or Argentine. Do a search for thumbhole or butthole and you'll find a lot of information. I have one of the thumbhole rifles-my receiver's an Imbel.

hagar
January 26, 2008, 20:48
If it's marked "Made in Canada" it is not! Either Imbel or Fmas receivers, normally Imbel will be marked as such, Argentine Fmas will not be marked.

MasterGunner
January 26, 2008, 21:06
You probably won't have to fiddle with the gas setting on a 19-inch barrel. Those with shorter barrels can be dicey though.

The SOP for gas setting is to start with the gas cutoff than then open up the port a click at a time until you can successfully fire five (5) rounds without a bobble. Then you give the gas regulator one more click for 'insurance' purposes.

Your rifle has probably been adjusted, so all you'll really need to do is a test fire to see how well it works. If you fire five without a hitch, no problem!

You really need a plastic carrying handle to match the plastic furniture and a flash suppressor (either dummy or real) to compliment that naked muzzle. If you don't want to thread the end of the barrel, you can silver solder the suppressor on and it will be just fine. You might want to go with the Aussie F1 short suppressor because it looks neat and will keep the length of the rifle to what you are now used to.

:fal: