PDA

View Full Version : Sights/Optics: FAL, L1A1, and C1A1- Elcans, Hensoldts, et al

Dwalton
December 10, 2001, 00:20
I picked up a Canadian last weekend .
I'm trying to identify something that was in the carry tube. It's a small plate that locks onto the mount, just like the scope does. Is this an adapter for another scope ? Also , does anyone have a manual for it ? Is the rear elevating ring numbers bullet drop compensating ?

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Dwalton/Leitz1.jpg
This is the mystery part
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Dwalton/adapter.jpg

NZ L1A1 Collector
December 10, 2001, 00:37
The mystery piece is Just a protective cover for the mount to stop it being damaged.

The graduations are for range, and once the rifle has been zeroed, by just clicking through the numbers adusts an internal cam changing the range of the retical for you.

I think you range the sight at 100 or 200 meters? then once it is set you adjust the number ring so the No. '1' lines up with the arrow on the body? then when you click through the ranges 100 m to 1000 meters to should corrasponds.

There are 38 'Clicks' going from one side to the other (100 - 1000) mine start well to the right of my current 100m mark and go past the 1000 m mark too.

if you find out how to zero it properly let me know I would like to see how good these are. :)

Mr pogo
December 10, 2001, 00:41
The mystery part is the "adaptor cover", to be installed whenever scope is removed.

Windage is adjusted by rotating objective ring to left or right in 1/2 mil clicks.
Range is adjusted by rotating eye piece ring in 1/2 mil clicks out to 1000 yrds, each numbered graduation is 100 yrds. 6 clicks additional adjustment is provided at each end of the scale for zeroing, I would think that means theres a way of zeroing the eye piece ring to whatever range you are sighting in at.

Paraphrased from the Stevens bible, book 1.

Mr pogo
December 10, 2001, 00:43
Kevin beat me to posting while I was researching, ha!

NZ L1A1 Collector
December 10, 2001, 04:36
Here's a little more info :)

I found some more info from the pre production specs... so whether it's how the final production model is I'm not sure.

Deflection Scale
The deflection scale shall be graduated every mil for a minimum of 5 mils left and 5 mils right of centre. Each graduation shall equal 2 of the 1/2 mil clicks of the lateral adjustment mechanism.....

.... The end of the scale shall be engraved with "L" for left and "R" for right, to denote the direction of adjustment.

Range Scale
The range scale shall be graduated and numbered every 100 yards from 100 yards to 1000 yards. The numbering may e in units to represent hundreds of yards, eg. 1,2,10 etc representing 100, 200, 1000 yards. The graduations shall coincide with the 1/2 mil clicks of the range adjustment mechanism as follows;

Range (Clicks)
100 (0 Clicks)
200 (1 Clicks)
300 (2 Clicks)
400 (4 Clicks)
500 (6 Clicks)
600 (8 Clicks)
700 (11 Clicks)
800 (15 Clicks)
900 (20 Clicks)
1000 (25 Clicks)

Lateral Adjustment
The reticle shall be adjusted laterally by rotating the objective mount. A total movement of a minimum of 15 mils, in steps of mil clicks, shall be provided for this adjustment. The error between the centre position and any other clicker position shall not exceed mil.

Range Adjustment
The reticle shall be adjusted vertically by rotating the eyepiece mount. A total movement of a minimum of 19 mils, in steps of mil clicks, shall be provided for this adjustment. The error between the zero clicker position and any other clicker position shall not be greater than mil plus 3 percent of the elevation displacement of that position. For example, the maximum error permitted when the telescope is adjusted for 1000 yards would be mil plus 3 percent of 12.5 mils, or 0.6 mil.

Zeroing
The telescope shall be capable of being zeroed to the rifle by means of the range and deflection slipping scales.

There you have it :eek:

NZ L1A1 Collector
December 23, 2001, 01:53
btt

Batman
December 23, 2001, 08:40
Dwalton, where did you get it and/or can you get me one????

Way cool item and my C1 really wants one. :D

Batman
December 23, 2001, 08:42
Looking at it I have a question. Does the scope interfer with the use of the stripper clip slot for quick loading the mag??

Dwalton
December 23, 2001, 10:00
Way cool item and my C1 really wants one
Batman ,

It is kinda cool to " reunite " a family of parts . :D

I found this one at the local , usually crappy , gunshow .

There is a lable on the carry tube .

WILD LEITZ CANADA LTD
190 Colonade Road
Nepean , Ontario
K2E 7J5
tele# 613-225-6625

This is the company that apearantly sold these from surplus . The lable shows that they overhauled mine in Jan 1989 .
Perhaps they still have some ?

Another place to check is Milarm (http://www.milarm.com)

And , if you take the see through lense covers off , you can use the stripper clip guide .

DJW

EMDII
February 08, 2002, 09:54
W/ kind thanks to Dean Lehrman for the kickoff thread-

Dr. Wohlers' scope

The Dr. Wohler scopes were of Canadian origin and intended for a recoilless rifle if I remember right....only place I've ever seen them. The Cannucks used them on something considerably heavier than the C1 or Enfield, but they are a 26mm scope and I could see why, then, they'd match up nicely with the OIP strap mount.....it wants to see a 26mm scope.

Dr. Wohler did do some other optics for the Cannucks, but to best of my knowledge none
for infantry arms in the small calibers. Always for the anti-tank type stuff. They just surplused a bunch of these scopes up there in the last year or two....been dropping lots of expired 10 year old ELCANs in various states of repair/pieces too.

Roland @ Modelbauspiegel (in Germany) has, on his site, a good example of the OIP mount itself.

I figured value of a mount (absolute perfect new) at about $250 (ed. note: for all you commerce-interested folks out there).

Mike D.
February 08, 2002, 11:42
IIRC the Dr. Wohler sight is for the Carl Gustav rocket launcher. I have a couple of them and have one mounted on a G-1 but have not tried to zero it yet. I looks like the adjustments are too course and would not be suitable unless you got really lucky and it happened to be "on" at one of the clicks.
I like my SUITS and my Hensoldt better.

Mike D.

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Mike D. ]

EMDII
February 08, 2002, 13:02
Hensoldt data/pic:

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/Images/Scopes/SC001a.jpg

courtesy Ammunition Store

recce
February 08, 2002, 19:34
Here's a pic of the 84mm Carl Gustav sight. I tried to get Printroom to enlarge the pic so hopefully it works.

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=recce1754&album_id=27728&image_id=28&show=image&param=18674

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: recce ]

Mike D.
February 08, 2002, 22:30
Thanks Recce. That's the Dr. Wohler scope I have. :)

Mike D.