PDA

View Full Version : How to legally get rid of butthole stock?

G-TOWN BILL
December 25, 2007, 09:03
Back in the day when the MAK90 with the thumb hole butt stock (butthole stock) were out I was told to buy em up before they're gone. These will be the last AK's ever and will be worth thousands! Well, they were wrong and I have 3 MAK90's that have been collecting dust for some time now. I'm mainly a FAL guy but I do like AK's. I have 3 different variations. One is an underfolder receiver, one is a regular stamped receiver and the other is a milled reciever. The milled one says Norinco on it, the regular stamped one says MAK90 Sporter and the underfolder says only MAK90. Exactly how many US parts are needed on AK's and how is it broke down? I would like to put an underfolding stock on the one, but would that be legally doable? What is the list of US parts for the MAK90's? I think that I'll probably put the Iron wood stock set on the milled one but they are expensive. Who else make US stock sets? Who has the best and cheapest HTS & piston? How hard is it to replace the gas piston? How hard is it to replace the HTS? Do the pins just drive out with a punch? Are there different HTS for different receivers? And is HTS considered 3 US parts on AK's like FAL's? I've been out of the gun hobby for a few years now but have put together a couple FAL's. I just haven't done anything with AK's for a long time and I want to do it right and legal.
Thanks, Bill

DAVE BEVENS
December 25, 2007, 09:46
Hi, On the fixed stock I think if you put a us made butt stock,pg and hand gaurds and hts your go to go. If you thread the barrel just use a us made flash hider. The folder should be the same but you will have to do the piston to get the six parts. Putting a new gas piston on is not to hard. You need to drive out the rivet and they are sometimes hard to see. I used a center puch and a couple good hits to get it started an a round puch to finish driving it out. You will need to get a new rivet I think ak builder.com or K-var has them. I think some guys have used a nail before. You just thread the new piston in back it off a 1/4 turn and rerivet it. From what I have read if you put six US parts on off the list you can lose the "butthole" stock. Also changing the HTS is not to hard some guy throw out the stock pins spring that hold the hammer and trigger pins in and use C clips. Maks are very nice guns I just pick on up with less than 100 rd down it for $400. I hope this helps.

Marry Christmas

Dave

mhg
December 25, 2007, 11:14
FAL ejector block pins work well for the gaspiston.

Matt

Azrial
December 25, 2007, 11:46
Originally posted by DAVE BEVENS
......Also changing the HTS is not to hard some guy throw out the stock pins spring that hold the hammer and trigger pins in and use C clips.....
Good advice overall, but I have seen the C clips fail too many times for my taste.

mhg
December 25, 2007, 12:00
I have been using this for pin retention

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=99a8e622-63dd-464c-a2c8-3df95755f0ee

Matt