PDA

View Full Version : Interchangeability: Bolt & Bolt Carrier

Brad/gunthings.com
October 08, 2000, 23:06
What are the specific differences, if any, between Inch, Israeli, and metric bolts and carriers. Will a bolt from one fit the carrier of another? I assume if inch or Israeli parts are built on a metric receiver, the metric bolt/carrier can be used, correct? Thanks for any answers, Brad.

[This message has been edited by Brad/gunthings.com (edited October 09, 2000).]

fireman
October 09, 2000, 06:51
Brad-
I believe that you will have no problems with interchangeability. Here's what I have used successfully:

Inch bolt in metric carrier.
Inch bolt and carrier in metric receiver.
Metric bolt in inch carrier.

Yes, you can use a metric bolt and carrier in an inch or Izzy receiver, although if you use the forward assist style Izzy charging handle, you will need to use an Izzy carrier, I believe. I think the area for the charging handle stud is machined differently.

fireman

droog
May 26, 2002, 09:34
Are metric and inch bolts and carriers interchangable with with inch and metric recievers? Can I in other words use all my metric parts in a inch upper or not?:confused: :confused:

EMDII
May 26, 2002, 10:15
They are, and the general consensus is that they should be i/c'd as a group. IE- use the B/BC/extractor together. That said, I have i/c'd 4 and seen not more than .001" change in OAL, therefore headspace. You should check headspace again following i/c.

You must use the correct FP for the installed bolt. They do not i/c.

droog
May 26, 2002, 10:44
Thanks alot for the input. I have to get a set of headspace gauges. What would you recommend for a go and no go?

EMDII
May 26, 2002, 10:52
Any reputable set of gauges is good to go. As to settings, do a search in Gunsmithing/Build it Yourself using "headspace AND gauge" as your search fit. You'll probably get a few hits.

I think Forster's are closer to USGI than Clymer's (civil .308) but I am NOT a smith.

droog
May 26, 2002, 11:51
Thans again Ted I appreciate the help.:D :D

gunsmith_tony
May 30, 2002, 16:16
Whether your initially setting headspace on a rifle your assembling, or (and especially) just checking headspace on a pre-assembled rifle, it's always a good idea to have both a "GO" and a "NO-GO" guage. And it doesn't really matter that much whether they be Clymer or Forster. Unless of course your building a Nat'l Match.
2-guage sets are inexpensive. Besides, at least where FAL's are concirned, you won't have to invest in a chaimbering reamer.

Tony :)

JR in the NW
December 16, 2003, 01:22
Is there an advantage to having a 1 or two piece firing pin?

EMDII
December 20, 2003, 21:18
Originally posted by droog
Thans again Ted I appreciate the help.:D :D

Check out the 'Gunsmithing FAQs' thread that we created. there is a rather substantial list after you select "headspace"

Seek, and Ye Shall Find (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92265)

Falfegnügen
July 25, 2004, 00:08
Guys, be careful with "inch" bolt/carriers. All Indian 1A-SL bolt/carriers are "single" cam. All others are "double" cam. So if you have a "sand cut" L1A1 Style bolt or carrier, I would look it over good to make sure what you've got.

I would never mix either an Indian bolt or carrier with any other FAL bolt carrier. It may not blow the rifle, but it definitely ain't gonna work right. Considering that this is what keeps the bolt locked, I'd be very careful...