PDA

View Full Version : Furniture: how to repair cracks in HG?

ByronF
September 08, 2000, 01:27
Hey fellers, how does one go about repairing cracked plastic handguards? I'll spray them with that bedliner stuff after the repair job, if that makes a difference. I don't have a set yet, but it seems that these cracks are fairly common. I could save some beans if I settle for cracks then fix them myself.

Thanks

Byron

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: gary.jeter ]

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: EMDII ]

Kevin
September 08, 2000, 02:05
Here goes:

Carefully drill small crack stopper hole and end of crack.

Gouge out very lightly and fill with gel type Acraglas from Brownells.

File down and then sand to match contour.

I would use some of the Black paint that is also available from Brownells.

I've done two R-1s and they came out perfect.

Good luck.

ByronF
September 08, 2000, 02:16
I see how that would stop the crack propagation, and fill in the stress relief hole, but what can be done to the rest of the crack? I'm thinking maybe lay some metal window screen on the backside, then cover with the Acraglass? Hmmm, now I'm buying Acraglass. Maybe I should just pay the extra money for uncracked handguards. Seems like it's getting awful expensive to save a few bucks.

Byron

FN74
September 08, 2000, 02:29
Byron,
I have fixed numerous cracked HGs with nothing more than a tube of superglue, a razor blade, and some sandpaper.

You first seperate the cracka bit, fill with superglue, place back together, let dry, scrape off excess with razor, the sand to contour.

They hold up well.

------------------
http://www.dixienet.org/images/animated/ani-csa-flags/new_3rdcsa_ani.gif DEO VINDICE!

ByronF
September 08, 2000, 02:40
Now we're talkin within my budget! I'd opt for the Acraglass if I already had some, but superglue is worth a try. I wonder if a thin smear of bondo on the backside would provide some structural support, superglue being brittle and all.

Hey Jarhead, I guess you've already figured out where I was headed with the handguards!

Thanks guys
Byron

artifacts
September 08, 2000, 05:35
B, If I was going to put some bondo on the back side, I believe I would put some screenwire first and then a thin layer of bondo. That should inprove the strength quite a bit. At least it works wonders at he body shop. artifacts.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: gary.jeter ]

Winchester
September 08, 2000, 09:39
I used JB Weld.Cut a small grove on the inside of the hand guard.Not all the way through but just deep enough for a good bond.I followed the crack and also put some groves across the crack.I then filled the area around the grove and the grove with JB Weld.I put it on very thick because it was on the inside and you will never see it from the outside.Looks like hell on the inside but it is strong and the handguards are solid.The JB Weld will run till it sets up so you have to be careful how you lay the handguard down.The handguards I fixed were cracked all the way throught for about 3 inches.This fixed them up so that I could use them at the range on my shooter FAL.I wouldn't do it this way if they were my only pair of handguards.But I have others so it was better than throwing this broken pair away. Like I said at the range on my shooter FAL nobody can tell. And it was a cheep fix for something I was going to throw out.

W.E.G.
July 30, 2001, 23:00
moved to the FAQ

Buk
July 31, 2001, 13:10
I have a set of R1 handguards with one of them cracked over half the length. I glued them well with epoxy and painted them. First time I shot them, they opened back up. Bummer! I picked up a piece of scrap 16 ga. sheet metal and cut a rib from it like the plastic integral one in the handguard that was busted, filed it to the contour of the inside on the handguard, drilled several small holes near the edge for the glue to grab and epoxied it into place, then filled the crack and repainted it. I've shot it quite a bit since then and no probs!

archy
July 31, 2001, 19:58
I used JB Weld.Cut a small grove on the inside of the hand guard.Not all the way through but just deep
enough for a good bond.I followed the crack and also put some groves across the crack.I then filled
the area around the grove and the grove with JB Weld...

You'll also find that the black, brown and white dyes sold by Brownell's for use with their acraglass works pretty well to colour JB Weld as well. Though the white won't come out as ivory-white, it can be used to lighten the shade of grey of the J-B Weld putty just as the Acraglass black can be used to get it to closely match the black synthetic furniture or the brown is used to match repairs on the wood stocks, foreends or pistol grips.

-archy-/-