PDA

View Full Version : Flash Hiders: removing a C1A1 flash suppressor

GregoryJ15
December 24, 2000, 15:53
Got a TAPCO STG like muzzle brake for my C1A1 to up my US parts count. But can't get the nice long version flash suppressor off. Are the threads going the same direction on the C1 as the R1?

Rick J
December 24, 2000, 19:18
Originally posted by GregoryJ15:
Got a TAPCO STG like muzzle brake for my C1A1 to up my US parts count. But can't get the nice long version flash suppressor off. Are the threads going the same direction on the C1 as the R1?

Wow, I'm waiting on this answer too, I just picked up my first FAL, I've ordered a Tapco brake too, I'm curious if its screwed and welded, or just welded? And if its just welded, is it a driven fit? ;-)

GregoryJ15
December 25, 2000, 00:58
I've used a couple of these already on various R1 configurations. They are set up for the standard metric gun with threaded muzzle. To remove the evil feature character of the threads, you'd silver solder the brake on. The good thing about this particular brake is the soldered area is along way from the thread. The other choice is the blind pin method, which I prefer, because its easier to reverse if you absolutely have to. The trick is to drill a hole in the brake to that it aligns with the barrel's cut out for the flash suppressor locking washer. My problem is that the C1 is English not metric, therefore, the uncertainly about which way the thing turns off.

duey
December 25, 2000, 01:31
It is possible to put screw the tapco on a inch threaded muzzle (then perm attach) I re-tapped the DSA fake long brake with a 9/16 x 24 tap and put on an L1A1. Got a fake f/h but maintained L1A1 profile. Got the tap from Dyna systems for 18 bucks. Maybe the tapco could be re tapped for inch muzzle, then pinned/ss.

GregoryJ15
December 25, 2000, 02:00
duey
That's the general Idea. I want to screw the TAPCO brake on and blind pin it, by drilling a pilot hole in the brake so that it will line up with the existing cut in the barrel. My problem is I can't get the long inch gun flash hidder off. It came with the C1 barrel. Wasn't sure which way it is threaded. So I was asking if it is different than the standard metric gun thread direction.

duey
December 25, 2000, 04:13
Roger that. The L1A1/inch type has right hand thread muzzle. right tight..left loose. At 6 oclock the FH is factory pinned to the barrel with a disk like pin. Some of the experts here could better explain. Anyway, I learned this when I tried to unscrew the fh from a brit L1a1 barrel.(kit I got from Enterprise about 7 years ago) I busted the disk but the fh unscrewed with no damage to barrel threads or fh. Not sure how to remove this pin tho. Hope I got closer this time. v/r

[This message has been edited by duey (edited December 25, 2000).]

Sgt Rock
December 27, 2000, 01:34
Your on the mark Duey. The locking disk has a pin going through it. Remove pin and disk comes out. Then unscrew FH.

[This message has been edited by SGT ROCK (edited December 27, 2000).]

W.E.G.
September 09, 2001, 13:31
moved to FAQ

bykerhd
September 09, 2001, 13:54
Might want to check the crown and the rest of that hidden muzzle end over when you get that brake off.
My Century L1A1 barrel was damaged at the muzzle. Actually had a slight constriction into the bore from something. Overtightened or something. Easier to fix before you install the new muzzle thing.
Good luck with your project.