PDA

View Full Version : Ident: StG58 and L1A1 differences

March 13, 2001, 16:07
Am thinking of buying an L1A1(metric) Imbel
have an STG58 and am wondering what the hell is the difference???
Thanks,
Robert

DK
March 13, 2001, 18:27
The difference is the L1A1 was designed to use "inch" pattern parts. If you use a metric Imbel receiver and an L1A1 kit (totally do-able by the way) you will be using the balance of inch parts. Buttstock is different, made of different material and has a pebblegrain finish. Same for the handgaurds. The pistol grip is solid and "squared" looking. The selector is different, and most think more ergonomic. The inch rifles use "sand cut" bolts/carriers, the carry handles are thicker, the rear sight is taller and it folds down. The front sight is also taller than the StG58. Basically, MOST of the L1A1 parts will be different.
If you use the metric upper, you can use metric mags only. If you use an "inch" cut Imbel, or inch cut US receiver, you could theoretically use BOTH inch AND metric mags in the same receiver.

DK

------------------
Historically Freedom is bought with steel, not gold...

AK8
January 27, 2003, 19:24
I just bought a Century L1A1. The dealer told me it was all metric. Is he full of it? Can metric parts fit on this reciever? He says the mags it takes are metric mags. He's got a pile of new mags down there for $25/piece. It's got the tall rear sight that folds down.

I had to have him send it back to Century because the bore was rotten. I'm getting a new one soon.

crowbait
January 27, 2003, 21:22
Sounds like a metric receiver on a inch kit. He is ripping you off the mags. Good mags should be $5, new in wrap or close to new
$10. How much does he want for the rifle itself? They wholesale
for around $399. Letting the dealer make a fair profit for the ability
to personally inspect the gun is fair. By the time you add in shipping and shop overhead I would guess anything under $500
is good and the further you get above $500 sours the deal.
Above $600 and your close to paying enough for one of Dan's
IAI built Imbels that are going to generally have nicer Bores and
Fewer "miles" on them. HTH, crowbait

EMDII
January 28, 2003, 14:37
Guys-

PLEASE go to THIS thread ("Eureka"!) here in FAQs FORUM (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60277) and select the ID and/or the Interchangeability links. Lots of good stuff there.

Short version:
- w/ the exception of the FC (Fire Control: HST) and buttstock, the parts mostly interchange.
- The entire lower can be fit to the opposite upper.
- Same for a barrel, although you may/may not need a breeching washer for any Imperial barrel.
- Imperial magazines will not fit true Metric receivers, but Metric magazines will rattle around in an Imperial receiver. Don't bet your @$$ on that combination, BTW.
- HST do not interchange, period. They will go along w/ your lower, and work fine, regardless of the upper.
- Sights do not interchange, but a Metric and Imperial backisight can be swapped. Expect a POI change when you do so.
- Israeli HG and foresight don't interchange well. YMMV, and the Israeli HG requires spacers.

Some other fitting is required for things like Charging Handles, yadayada. Read that Eureak thread, will ya? Bookmark it, too.
:wink:

AK8
January 28, 2003, 17:15
I paid $560 for it. That sounds a little more than the 10% my gunsmith charges me to order a gun. I think I'm going to not buy anything from this guy anymore if he's going to be all pissy about sending the gun back because of a crappy bore.

Thanks for the other info, Evil Moderator. This place is so big, I get lost looking for info.

AK8
January 28, 2003, 18:20
Stupid question just to clarify. Will the Argentine, chrome lined barrel being sold by CDNN work on my gun? Because I'm looking at this thing and it's $89 brand new. Hmmmmmmmm. Payday is tomorrow. :fal: ;)

AK8
January 29, 2003, 19:08
"Same for a barrel, although you may/may not need a breeching washer for any Imperial barrel."

Ok. I'm dumb. I can read.:p