PDA

View Full Version : Furniture: Australian wood info

NZ L1A1 Collector
February 23, 2001, 05:30
Australian furniture is primarily made using Australian Coachwood although in some later production example Beech was used. The following information I have transposed from the Armourers Instructions for your viewing pleasure.

Now don’t go asking me what the recipe is for the creosote / linseed oil mix as I don’t know, but that is why the furniture smells so familiar………. Creosote and linseed http://www.fnfal.com/forums/smile.gif

Here you go:-

Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Instructions WPN A 133, Iss 1, Jul 94

Wooden Furniture

5. Cleaning. ……….

a. Where the application of glue is required, traces of oil or grease should be removed by the liberal application of acetone or equivalent solvent.

b. Where acetone is not available, spray oven cleaner on the wood. After 10 minutes, wash it off with hot water and a fibre brush or rough paper towel. No more than three applications should be required.

Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Instructions WPN A 131-2, Iss 6, Sep 91

Finish on all Pistol, SMG, Rifles, MG and Grenade Launchers

a. Wooden components
Apply raw linseed oil by swabbing and brushing, remove excess and allow to dry.

Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Instructions WPN D 253, Iss 8, May 92

Furniture

70. All furniture is to have an overall smooth finish and be free from cracks, splitting, splintering or rotting. All furniture is to have a liberal application of raw linseed oil applied on a regular basis.

Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Instructions WPN D 254, Iss 7, Nov 92

TABLE 10 – FURNITURE

1. ALL; Ensure that

e. Acceptable furniture is re-treated with creosote and linseed oil.

I hope this helps http://www.fnfal.com/forums/smile.gif

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: EMDII ]

NZ L1A1 Collector
February 23, 2001, 23:36
btt

------------------
Kevin Adams
Rifle, 7.62 mm, L1A1 Collector & Researcher.
NEW ZEALAND

awp101
July 26, 2001, 16:27
BTT because all of us "woodie newbies" are gonna needs it!

boblunger
July 26, 2001, 18:43
Ha ha.. No more that 3 applications!! I bet I've done one set 20 times and after it sets, it's oily again...Thanks for the always wonderful info NZ L1A1

TazmanFL
July 26, 2001, 21:37
Good evening Kevin, In my opinion you are THE EXPERT of the Falfiles. I have a question regarding the wood finishing. Insofar as what is proper and correct,if the average shooter would like a finish that will give a better wear and tear is Tung oil ok to apply to a piece of wood that at one time had Linseed oil on it? RTF

LVACGAR
July 26, 2001, 21:57
I'm definately not Kevin, or any expert. I have refinished a lot of surplus wood though, and if you strip the previous oil as Kevin mentioned, you should have no problems with tung oil.