PDA

View Full Version : SUIT: Zero? Near Zero? Techniques and procedures

Madmachinist
February 22, 2001, 19:19
Got a Trilux (SUIT) today. put it on my 50.41 Looks cool. Got a question on what range were these things zeroed for? I assume it would possibly be in the 300 meter range since your average engagement distance does not normally exceed 300M.any help would be greatly appreciated. Anybody considered putting a click adj. screw on the elevation so you could have several zeros? THANKS

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: EMDII ]

EMDII
February 23, 2001, 06:42
Do you have an Israeli or a British SUIT?

The Israelis calibrate at 250m and 400m, the British at 300m and 500m.

Set the range selector lever to the rear. Zero at the selected range. If you're shorter (say 100m) remember you're a bit offset to the left on your objective, so POA should be a bit left of POI at an intermediate range.

Remember to unlock the elevation adjustment, and re-lock it following zero.

INFO:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/coffee/trilux.htm

http://www.fnfal.com/forums/wink.gif

As to several zeros: the 147gr ball round will, when zeroed, be +/- 3" of POA out to 300m, when properly zeroed. You don't really need multiples, unless you shoot lots of different ammo. I 'index' for 147gr and 168gr.

------------------
1*.....Train Like You Fight: Second Place is NOT an Option.

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II

[This message has been edited by EMDII (edited February 23, 2001).]

stimpsonjcat
February 23, 2001, 10:06
Hey Ted...wouldn't POI be just to the right of POA at a shorter distance?

I thought the SUIT hung off the left side of the central axis of the weapon?

/me draws a funny looking picture that makes my office mates nervous

peace!

EMDII
February 23, 2001, 11:18
Dooh!

See correction. Got my drawing upside down!

OK, let's see: Control Rods go IN to reduce power, right?

http://www.fnfal.com/forums/wink.gif

------------------
1*.....Train Like You Fight: Second Place is NOT an Option.

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II

EMDII
October 05, 2002, 08:35
NEAR ZERO Technique

The principle is straight-forward. It presumes you have already mechanically zeroed, and then have field-fired the weapon to confirm BZO of the iron sights.

- A boresighting chart is mounted 15 meters (16.4 yards) from the front of the rifle.
- Align the iron sights onto a defined aiming point. The iron backsight MUST be set at 200.
- The SUIT is offset to the left:
-- Select the AFT position on the range selector lever (300) fir the SUIT.
-- The very lower tip of the reticle should be aligned to a point 27.3 mm (1-1/8") LEFT and 31.7 mm (1-1/4") UP from the iron aiming point.

VOILA! Now, go confirm the boresight at the range. Note: SUIT will have some VERY slight L-to-R motion as it goes further downrange. Essentially, the parallax goes to zero at infinity.

If, when field-checking, the POI using the SUIT moves LEFT as you go downrange, just use a few clicks R to correct. The SUIT adjustment is one click (notch on the adjustment collar) moves POI 4" at 100 meters. Pretty big adjustment, but this is a DM (designated marksman) rifle scope, not a precision counter-sniper device.

So, everybody get out an 8.5x11 inch sheet of paper, make your aiming marks as indicated, and get those pesky SUITs zeroed!

Bearwhositshere
October 05, 2002, 22:46
OOOOOH! Now it becomes crystal clear! Thanks Ted!:D