PDA

View Full Version : Finishes: paint color text rollmark stamp lettering on rifle

JimR
July 24, 2000, 16:47
How do you get the nice text/logo white and red paint on the rifle? Like the letters at the selector switch, receiver logo, sight numbers, etc.

What paint?

What kind of (very small!) brush?

TIA

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: gary.jeter ]

gunplumber
July 24, 2000, 20:38
I use testers insignia white or gloss enamel whit (and red). Degease with acetone, alcohol, whatever. smear all over the letters. Let it dry a few hours. Take a very thin cloth (the nap of the cloth must not be thick enough to go into the letters) I use handkerchief, but Derek gets good results with blue (mostly lint free) shop towels. Then just whipe the flats, which leaves paint in the recesses. For the gas ring you want to be more careful as its difficult to remove from the corners. Can use a hair dryer to accelerate drying. If putting on a parkerized surface, don't wait for complete dry as the paint will slightly stain the park and leave a lighter halo - very faint, but annoying.

And in case anyone was wondering, one part gloss orange to 8 parts yellow match the HK rear sight drum.

------------------
T. Mark "Gunplumber" Graham
gunplumber@arizonaresponsesystems.com
Arizona Response Systems
5501 North 7th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85013
623-873-1410 http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

Noname
July 25, 2000, 06:04
I use Lacquer Sticks from Brownells- same clean up as GP post.

orca
July 26, 2000, 20:45
Mr Gunplumber...when you wipe, do use a dry cloth, or damp with thinner? Glad to see you still leading the blind, orca

Finnbear
July 28, 2000, 11:30
I use the touch up paint from Shucks auto parts store - brush on - wipe any excess with my finger - then I use a q tip with lacquer thinner wipe areas paint that was smeared into the surface outside the lettering and I use a hair dryer to speed up things and reinspect the area - clean up or touch up after.
it takes time and alot of trial and error.