PDA

View Full Version : Flash Hiders & Muzzle Brakes: installation- blind pins, threads, set-screw & welding

Byron
July 24, 2000, 11:19
Hey fellas,

I'd like to add a MB to by rifle, but don't want to bother with rethreading. I see DSA ($25) and Entreprise($50) both sell a slip on unit. Can you guess which way I'm leaning? Do I HAVE to drill divets in the barrel to keep it from shooting off?

Thanks
Byron

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: EMDII ]

richg68
July 24, 2000, 13:12
It will sit better if you dimple the barrel. I saw an earlier post on the old board which mentioned a product from Lock Tight that is supposed to work well. I think it was called sleeve retainer or something. Anyway you do need to use lock tight on the set screws and there is a little bit of play between the barrel and brake(at least on my 18" Argy barrel). I used some a piece of tape wrapped once around the barrel and dimpled the barrel for the set screws. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet though.

Dano
July 24, 2000, 13:27
You're right. Its Loctite "Sleeve Retainer". You can pick it up at your local AutoZone.

Roughrider
July 24, 2000, 13:52
Just a note on the green loctite sleeve retainer. It starts breaking down about 350 degrees F. Don't want to get the barrel too hot.

Roughrider
July 26, 2000, 21:40
Checked my data on Loctite. Went to Loctite.com

There are at least a couple of higher temp formulas. Threadlocker 272 and sleeveretainer 620 both are listed as working at temps up to 450 degrees F. Sleeve retainer fills better on loose threads and is listed as staying strong at the higher temp for long periods.

Last time I bought some I think it was something like $26 for the small bottle.

Dirtfarmer
July 22, 2001, 22:45
Interesting, I thought i was the only one wondering about this,
heres a link to the letter described: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter40.txt
Synchronicity..., I even just (JUST!) expressed my doubts about this method (blind pinnning) in a response to someone who didn't know the 17 applicable parts.

Goodwill ,
-Dirtfarmer

Derby FALs
July 24, 2001, 15:21
For a barrel with no threads try drilling threaded MB out .001 smaller (11/16?) than the barrel diameter and heating it up. Clean barrel end and put some on silver solder paste. Slip MB on the end and give it a good whack with a mallet and voila!

ByronF
July 24, 2001, 15:36
JUST A MINUTE THERE! Now, there might be room in this town for two Teds, and there are probably a boatload of Bills. But I might have to rassle ya for 'Byron'.

"BYRON?!? BYRON?!? IS THAT ME? OR IS THAT YOU?"