PDA

View Full Version : Receivers: Israeli barrel threads

ErikAndersson
July 24, 2000, 16:14
do the israeli light barrels have the same threads as the israeli heavy barrels?does the light barrel rifle also include the bolt closing charging handle?Erik

ErikAndersson
July 26, 2000, 00:36
vvvvv

Noname
July 26, 2000, 22:47
Israeli lite barrels have metric form just like the heavies. Getting a forward assist cocking handle with a kit is kinda luck of the draw. With HB kits it seems I was hitting only about 50% of the time. Who has Israeli lite kits???

ErikAndersson
July 26, 2000, 23:05
i found some places with the HB kits also have light barrel israeli kits.some kits have barrels dated from 1971 through 1981,i've seen israelis with different take-down levers.vertical and horizonal.israeli is supposed to be vertical but recessed or shortened.what is the thread count?i have an israeli receiver ,checked it with an old heavy barrel,the threads match fine.is the the slot for the charging handle machined larger for the bolt-closing handle?or are they interchangable?will it fit an imbel slot without mods?Thanks

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik

Noname
July 27, 2000, 03:58
Metric barrels are 25mm x 1.5 --- run a 1in.x16 die over threads to screw into "normal" receivers--- The foward assist cocking handle is standard FN size and will fit any receiver---The bolt carrier has part of the rails milled out and this is what FA engages when you push the knob in.

mxmillion
July 29, 2000, 00:15
I am new here. If you can tell me what is going on with the heavy barrel not fitting my DSA receiver which is supposed to be metric. I see that you mention using a 1in.x16 die to fix the problem???

mxmillion
July 29, 2000, 00:17
I am new here. If you can tell me what is going on with the heavy barrel not fitting my DSA receiver which is supposed to be metric. I see that you mention using a 1in.x16 die to fix the problem???

ErikAndersson
July 29, 2000, 00:35
"metric" receivers are called metric due to machine set-ups used to make them in the 1950s,before CNC.inch are the british/commonwelth version.it is not a reference to the threads.the israelis used different machining and assembly with threads that are different pitch and taper.all receivers EXCEPT israeli have one inch by 16 threads per inch.thus if you have an israeli barrel,heavy or light you should run a 1x16tpi die over them.light and heavy barrels from other countries should fit your receiver.

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik

[This message has been edited by ErikAndersson (edited July 29, 2000).]

edp
July 29, 2000, 00:52
ErikAndersson has it right however I'd like to clarify.

"Inch" and "Metric" FAL receivers actually
both use inch/standard threads.

most of the parts which attach to
"inch" and "metric" receivers will interchange between the two [carriers, barrels, lowers, mag catch. charging handles
and mags are slightly different dimentions.

they should really be called "Commonwealth Patern" and "Belgian Pattern" receivers.

the monkey wrench in this is Izzy barrel threads. for some reason they chose to make
them 25x1.5mm [haven't measured, I'll take Noname's word for it]. other Izzy receiver dimentions are same as Belgian pattern.

as many have mentioned, a 1"x16 TPI die
will fix up an Izzy barrel so that it will
work on a Commonwealth or Belgian pattern receiver.

ErikAndersson
July 29, 2000, 02:02
the israelis chose their threads for easier assembly .earlier receivers and barrels didn't always time the same.the commonwelth ones chose different thicknesses of breeching washers to allow tolerence in receiver face and barrel shoulder.the threads on israelis is also tappered ,very loose for 2/3s of the way up.the face of the israeli is also specially machined.the israelis used completely diferent tools for assembly.the israeli method is suposed to be easier and faster with trial and error fittng of barrels and receivers.one other difference i've noticed is the changing handle slot is enlarged for about 5 centimetres in front.not the slot for the slide but the hole for the piece that catches the carrier.

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik

[This message has been edited by ErikAndersson (edited July 29, 2000).]

Noname
July 29, 2000, 15:30
MSC has 1in.x16 dies for 27.00----1-800-645-7270

derek huffman, azexarms
July 29, 2000, 19:28
ack! forty some dollars? I'll rethread your bbl for 10 bucks you pay shipping both ways, geez, its a 1 minute job fer cripes sake. D.

ErikAndersson
July 30, 2000, 02:46
i have an ISRAELI RECEIVER and wanted know which barrels would fit it.does anyone have the die to change the thread on belgian barrels to israeli thread?

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik