PDA

View Full Version : Legal: Is my FAL kit full auto?

Joe Van Wie
January 06, 2001, 21:42
I noticed that my South African kit is still able to switch to full auto. it doesnt seem to be modified or disabled since it was disassembled. Do i need to disable it myself when i assemble it?

Jerrod
January 06, 2001, 21:49
when you install the new upper receiver it will have a semi-auto ejector block it will still only fire in semi-auto even if the selector is in FA.

kcsturm
January 06, 2001, 21:52
Yes, you'll find that the STG58 and R1 kits have a selector switch that go to all three positions. However, F/A is enabled by the presence of F/A ejector block in the upper receiver. Most Imbels come with a Semi-auto ejector block installed and are not cut for the safety sear.

Joe Van Wie
January 06, 2001, 21:55
Well thats no fun!! http://www.fnfal.com/forums/frown.gif

Rat A Tat
January 06, 2001, 22:08
Not to mention a simi auto receiver with a full auto ejector in it will not fire full auto. A full auto receiver has a extra cut in it to work with the FA block.

camoguy
January 07, 2001, 00:25
Not that that would stop people from taking a metal file to the right spot on the reciever to make it a selective fire weapon.Unless TSHTF all this is going to do is get you in a lot of trouble at the range.

------------------

Rat A Tat
January 07, 2001, 00:43
Well its more a job for a machinest. A file? I don't think you could get it done with one. As for the whole truble at the range bit. Lets just say kick someones ass the first day so you dont become someones bitch. Oh ya and stock up on smokes before you do. Not me I like freedom.

BD9398
January 07, 2001, 00:56
Wouldn't a semi-auto only selector switch count as a US part? That would help both on the parts count and with the paranoid range people as well.

On this group buy, they do come with the full-auto sear, correct? Or am I confusing this with the AR? So that would be still another US part, right?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Rat A Tat
January 07, 2001, 01:04
In a fal you have to parts to a FA sear. the sear, and a sear trip that can only fit in a FA receiver with a FA ejector block.

Sgt Rock
January 07, 2001, 01:16
The gun will not fire semi in the full-auto position. What happens is the hammer follows the carrier into battery and you now have a single shot rifle. You will then have to cycle the action ejecting a loaded round to cock the hammer so the gun will again fire 1 round with the hammer following the carrier into battery again. However it should be noted that most builders of this rifle weld the FA slot in the selector or replace the selector with a semi only selector. The cheapest method is to weld the FA slot in the selector and then if you happen to swing the selector into the FA notch you have another safe position.

camoguy
January 07, 2001, 01:22
No the selector switch does not count for the parts that you are looking for. Having a semi only selector just helps by making people think that your Fal is a semi and not an automatic. I think the auto sear is called the safety sear with the Fal. Your kit might come with it but it doesn't matter it can't fit in your rifle unless you have these 3 things and you won't. 1. a selective fire lower(you may have). 2. a selective fire/full auto ejector block (you can get)installed in a 3. sear cut upper reciever(very rare or na illegally modification). And with all that you will have an automatic...5 years a fed prison. And that is what I told a friend that
did take a file and a dremel and "modified" a DSA upper to fit #3(I didn't think it would work either but I was proven wrong).Needless to say not my friend anymore(anyone that stupid could get you killed at the range). Listen the Fal is not like an ar15 once it is made a selective weapon you can ALWAYS tell it has been modified by opening it up. So don't worry about your kit having a sear...just don't get that funny gleam in your eye looking at it.

------------------

camoguy
January 07, 2001, 01:26
By sear I mean sear trip ,the funny l shaped thing with the spring in the middle.

------------------

BD9398
January 07, 2001, 01:45
Hmm, well, I guess it'll all make sense when I get the kit huh? Let's go, Jen!! http://www.fnfal.com/forums/smile.gif

Thanks for all the help!

Bill

Littlejohn
January 07, 2001, 10:06
There's a lot more to an auto-FAL than just sear cuts and a change lever - hammer, trigger return plunger, safety sear, bolt carrier, lower receiver cuts, ejector block; are all part of it... http://www.fnfal.com/forums/biggrin.gif

------------------
"The thicker the hay, the easier mowed." Alaric - 408 AD

BD9398
January 07, 2001, 11:59
I know I'm being overly paranoid about this, but doesn't the ATF consider ONE full-auto part illegal to own without a class III license and stamp?

I'm pretty sure that's the way it is with the AR. Say if you have a hammer out of an M16 that hasn't been modified, you could still get busted for it. Why not the same thing for the FAL? Different laws for imports? Or is it just a design issue?

Bill

kcsturm
January 07, 2001, 12:43
Yup, you're being overly paranoid. http://www.fnfal.com/forums/biggrin.gif

The ATF does not consider the ownership of the safety sear or even a F/A selector or lower receiver w/ 3-positions as constructive possession as they do w/ AR-15/M16s.

kev
January 07, 2001, 15:17
There are a lot of drop-in autosears for the AR15 floating around since they were legal to buy and sell for many years. The autosear requires M16 parts to operate, but the receiver is not modified in any way. That's why MG parts are a problem with the AR15. Same thing with the M1 Carbine. All you need is your semi rifle and the parts drop in, so ATF is really restrictive on the possession of parts. As long as your FAL receiver is not cut for the safety sear, you can have a truckload of them and not have a problem. No drop-ins were ever sold for the FAL. I would think you'd be subject to possible prosecution if you had one of the grandfathered sear cut FALs and a kit with all the internals. So far, ATF has not pushed this point unless the semi ejector block has been tampered with.