PDA

View Full Version : Technical: Trigger Pull- can it be improved?

Toxey
December 17, 2000, 23:24
Do all FAL rifles have such a heavy trigger pull?
Can there be anything done to lighten it up a bit?

EMDII
December 18, 2000, 08:47
Do a file search on trigger pull. Also, check out the FAQ and gunsmith sections. Make sure your settings show more than today's stuff (upper RH corner of display).

Generally, trigger pulls can be best adjusted by stoning the engagement surfaces. This is a military spec 50's vintage rifle, intended to remain safe in the hands of the lowest common denominator. He's in the middle of a firefight, his squaddies are beside him in the dirt, and they're all nervous. Deliberate action is a good safe design.

Clipping springs I do NOT recommend. The reset of the FAL sear and trigger springs depends proper spring tension. Tread lightly before you modify.
http://www.fnfal.com/forums/wink.gif

------------------
1*.....Train Like You Fight: Second Place is NOT an Option.

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II

stimpsonjcat
December 18, 2000, 10:02
Originally posted by EMDII:

Clipping springs I do NOT recommend. The reset of the FAL sear and trigger springs depends proper spring tension. Tread lightly before you modify.
http://www.fnfal.com/forums/wink.gif

Which is to say...if you don't have enough spring tension...the trigger will not reset in semiautomatic mode. I can assure you this a fairly thin line between Go and NO GO as my recent R1 build had this problem.

Be careful, No way will I trade reliable functionality for a slightly 'better' trigger pull. At the range I fiddle with my gas settings, in a SHTF scenario...you can bet it would immediately go 2 to 3 clicks under any setting I have ever had fail to feeds on. Hell, for that matter, turn it all on...who cares who you throw brass on?

peace!

Super B
December 18, 2000, 23:19
When I replaced my Steyr trigger, sear, and hammer with Hesse, the pull was much improved. They just dropped right in.

Super B

Enquiring Minds
December 19, 2000, 06:25
As Super B says, practice your smithing on the foreign parts, especially if you're planning on replacing them anyway with US-made to increase your "parts count". Post whatever you discover.

I'm thinking about getting some stones from Brownell's and "tweaking" some Steyr surfaces... lots of subtle nuances I'll have to learn... what works great on dry fire may get dicey after 200 rounds of "wear-in"... oh well, with US furniture I can legally run cheap foreign triggers and sears.

BTW, I'm not looking to "lighten" the pull, but to make it more "crisp", less "spongy".