PDA

View Full Version : WECSOG: from a kit.....where do I start?

2 Dogs
November 17, 2000, 23:18
I have decided I want to build from a kit, my brother and I have been thinking about it for a while. Who has the best set up and what parts do I need outside of the kit. Have access to a machine shop, but hate to get that drastic.

Has anyone put together kits that had any kind of accuracy? I have had good luck with AR's, but I know this is a different ball game. If you have a kit to sell, or reccomend one let me know.

Randy

PS- I have already owned a Century sporter shot about an 8" group at 50 yards, got rid of it.

AR-45ACP
November 17, 2000, 23:23
For a really nice looking STG kit take a look on Ebay the guys handle is Rexor1.
Jay

Mike in GA
November 17, 2000, 23:29
Congrats on the decision to "roll yer own"! This gun will always be more special than one you buy new out of the box!

My recommendation - a US made grip from Dan @ VOW! Not only are they ( by they I mean over SEVEN different grips!)the best on the market - They count as a US part, and they are SURE to improve accuracy and ergonomics!

A BONUS is that Dan kicks 20% of the purchase price back to the FalFiles to keep the boat afloat - SO do yourself a favor AND feed the kitty - Get a Grip from Dan!

Mike

2 Dogs
November 17, 2000, 23:32
How can I get in contact with Dan?

Looks like that ebay stuff is new. Already 11 bids. Might take a shot at that one as well. Thanks.

Randy

[This message has been edited by 2 Dogs (edited November 17, 2000).]

kfranz
November 17, 2000, 23:48
Casey Elliot receiver wrench (got mine today), upper receiver of your choice, and 6 (if no muzzle brake) or 7 (with muzzle brake) US made parts. A number of vendors sell receivers and US parts, a search of the general discussion and gunsmithing boards would be a good source for those. Don't forget www.arizonaresponsesystems.com (http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com) for your shareware workbook or video.

Good luck...

twodog
November 18, 2000, 10:18
2 Dogs,
Hey cousin, what tribe you in?
twodog (Cherokee)

2 Dogs
November 18, 2000, 15:57
Hey, sorry about running over your name....are you on glocktalk with the same name too?

Actually got the name from some biker buddies kidding me about my ancestry.

Osage, my grandmother is full blood. 84 years old and still lives alone and refuses any help, even mows her own grass.

Randy

twodog
November 18, 2000, 19:09
2 Dogs,
No problem, nice to see someone else get ribbed about their Indian ancestory.
Nope I don't visit the glock forum, probably another Injun.
Grandfather was full blood and my Dad, 1/2 Cherokee lived to be 100.
Is your Grandmother in NE Oklahoma? I am originally from Tulsa.
I'm currently building a R1 kit from Fed Arms. I'm waiting on the receiver from them also. I just finished a izzy/R1 frankenfal built on a R1 kit and Entreprise receiver. It looks and shoots great. Good luck with your project, you've found the right place to get any help you need.

2 Dogs
November 18, 2000, 19:33
My Grandmother is in Western Arkansas. She was originaly from Ocala, Florida.

Getting ready to take the kit gun plunge. Think I am going to go with the Belgian kit on this forum. Just afraid I won't get acceptable accuracy out of it. Been thinking about this for a while and decided I had to give it a shot. ALL ADVICE APPRECIATED!!!!

Randy

W.E.G.
November 18, 2000, 21:48
Originally posted by 2 Dogs:
...Just afraid I won't get acceptable accuracy...

Don't get too hot to trot about your accuracy expectations. The FAL is a swell battle gun. But many of the features that make it a swell battle gun make it take second-fiddle in the accuracy department.

Trigger: Very heavy. Usually around 7 pounds. Cannot reduce significantly without compromising safety or reliability. If interest in FAL's continues to develop, somebody like Mr. Jewell may do something for the FAL like he did for the AR. Until then, the trigger will remain an obstacle.

Barrel: Chrome bore, long leade, loose chamber. Very reliable and durable. Not ideal for accuracy.

Handguards: Free floating handguards are available. I really dislike the appearance. The good-looking handguards attach to the barrel via the gas block. Pressure on the handguards is transmitted to the barrel.

Sling swivel: Attaches to the barrel.

Bipod: Attaches to the barrel.

Ammunition: One variable you do control. It peeves me to hear people complain about accuracy, only to discover that they were shooting old mis-matched batches of surplus ball ammo.

Realistically, you can expect 2-3 moa from the best FAL's.

I'm glad you dumped your Century specimen. I hope somebody was able to use the parts. Most Century FAL's have significant problems. With correct repair, yours might have been made to shoot much better. I looked at a couple at a gun show today. The price was enticing. But by the time you waste your time testing, diagnosing, and repairing one of those rifles, you are in the same place as you would have been had you bought a better rifle from the start.

By starting with a kit, the sky is really the limit, and you won't feel bad about it. A new part here and there. A little professional work here and there. Eventually, you probably have a really swell rifle, and you have fun doing it.

If you really want top accuracy in something that looks like a battle rifle, my experience tells me that a tricked-out AR15 really is unbeatable (and expensive).

Load and be ready!

2 Dogs
November 18, 2000, 22:04
Thanks for the info, keep it coming....anybody have a favorite kit dealer?

I have a flat top DPMS with a 20" free floater bull SS and it is very accurate. Just built a PWA lower on a Colt flatop and haven't got it tricked out yet.

I just want a FN/STG that can hold a group at about 100 yards, and that Century was spitting rounds all over the place.

Randy