PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Catch: is there an ambidextrous mag release for L1A1?

Bruce J
August 01, 2000, 00:05
I'm too ADHD to do my own research in my 5 pound FAL book/bible.

I recall hearing that there was an upgrade to the L1A1's mag release lever. Was I imagining that or is there a larger, more ambidextrous type of mag release lever?

------------------
Bruce J
Kansas City
800-962-0487 ext 5614

ErikAndersson
August 01, 2000, 00:21
the L1A1 mag release lever is larger than the other FALs.it goes across the whole receiver to make easier to operate.the one your'e looking for is made for the "inch pattern"rifles.it will fit all of them,you need the lever/catch,and the screw that goes to the inch pattern rifle,it is longer and the screw head protrudes to support the other side of the lever.i think the spring looks longer though these maybe interchangable,and you can use the original spring.

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik

Bruce J
August 01, 2000, 00:45
Erik - I'm familiar with both the metric an inch.

I wan eondering if there were different models of the mag release for the inch.

------------------
Bruce J
Kansas City
800-962-0487 ext 5614

ErikAndersson
August 01, 2000, 02:31
there are only slight differences that i know of from british to canadian to aussie and odd indian.they may have made other trial ones but i don't think they would be easy to find.a lot of folks put the L1A1 mag release on metric rifles for this purpose,i'm not sure of a larger one.i have heard of something like this for artic use but i can't remember who made it,maybe canada.

------------------
Cut the blue wire! Erik

[This message has been edited by ErikAndersson (edited August 01, 2000).]

EMDII
August 01, 2000, 06:57
I'm a lefty, and use my left index finger, from the trigger, to release an expended magazine. Safe! I put the Inch-pattern on both my FALO-C (metric) and my Entreprise Type 1.

A RH shooter uses his left hand to grasp the magazine and hit the release w/ the inside of the thumb. Practice!

Much better than the standard metric magazine release.

------------------
1*...........Train Like You Fight: Second Place is NOT an Option.

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II

[This message has been edited by EMDII (edited August 01, 2000).]

Brian in MN
August 01, 2000, 08:16
"A RH shooter uses his left hand to grasp the magazine and hit the release w/ the inside of the thumb. Practice!"

I'm right handed. I normally use my trigger finger on the metric release. I find that the metric release moves with less force.

Gimmie my metric mag release & bolt hold open. The Brits got the selector right, though.

[This message has been edited by Brian in MN (edited August 01, 2000).]

Kevin K
August 01, 2000, 10:14
I have the inch release and selector and installed the bolt hold open. The best of all worlds http://www.fnfal.com/forums/smile.gif

NZ L1A1 Collector
August 01, 2000, 21:38
There is only one style of L1A1 Magazine catch, although there are some minor manufacturing differences between Aust, Can, UK made parts. All are designed to be activated using the thumb of the left hand.

------------------
Kevin Adams
Rifle, 7.62 mm, L1A1 Collector & Researcher.
NEW ZEALAND