PDA

View Full Version : What fixed blade do you carry in the woods?

OREGON FAL'ER
October 15, 2007, 02:40
I did carry a SOG seal 2000 but I don't like the 7" blade cause its harder to control than something smaller and I don't like the serrations where they are. so I listed it for sale and I'd like to hear what all you folks are using and why you like it.

firefuzz
October 15, 2007, 06:33
My belt knife is now a Benchmade Nimravus, I own others but this is the one I carry anytime I'm out in the woods or fishing etc. Very light and easy to manipulate, sharper than hell right out of the box.

If I'm going for a longer, overnight(s) hike or something similiar I've also got a Cold Steel LTC kukri on my belt or pack in place of an hand axe or hatchet.

Always have a CRKT small M13, or other smaller folder in my pocket too. I DON"T want to be without a knife.

Rob

MAINER
October 15, 2007, 09:23
"B" at 5"

http://www.randallknives.com/catalog.php?action=modeldetail&id=41

MACV
October 15, 2007, 11:07
SOG SEAL 2K or a Benchmade Fecus. Both with 7 inch blades. A K-Bar works just as well.

Powderfinger
October 15, 2007, 11:53
Cold Steel Master Hunter (Carbon V)-when a 4 1/2" blade is enough.
Lotta bang for the buck.

Jailguard
October 15, 2007, 12:49
An old black jack 1-7 with stacked leather handle

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7931

OREGON FAL'ER
October 15, 2007, 23:06
Originally posted by MAINER
"B" at 5"

http://www.randallknives.com/catalog.php?action=modeldetail&id=41

I hear there is quite a wait for those Randall's (4 years). I've never met someone who thought it wasn't worth the wait though. Does it get used much or do you really baby it?

Stoney
October 15, 2007, 23:37
The one and only K-bar

MAINER
October 16, 2007, 08:35
Originally posted by OREGON FAL'ER

I hear there is quite a wait for those Randall's (4 years). I've never met someone who thought it wasn't worth the wait though. Does it get used much or do you really baby it?

Ok, I'll own up. It's hardly ever used. :rolleyes:
Always seem to have a back up knife around for the rough stuff! I can attest to the Randall being an excellent "steak knife" however! :biggrin:

The Model 14 is treated much the same!! I save the Randalls for only the "most serious" cutting jobs and I don't have a clue what that would be. :rolleyes:

firefuzz
October 16, 2007, 08:52
Originally posted by Jailguard
An old black jack 1-7 with stacked leather handle

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7931

I've got a sub-hilt model of this knife and it's my favorite blade. It's heavier than I want for day to day carry and, in my mind at least, better designed as a fighting knife.

I will say if I could only have the one knife, God forbid!!!, this would be the one I would keep.

Rob

OREGON FAL'ER
October 16, 2007, 11:39

Always seem to have a back up knife around for the rough stuff! I can attest to the Randall being an excellent "steak knife" however! :biggrin:

Yeah I figured. I've met a bunch of people who have them and that seems to be how it works. I think they are waiting for a real survival type situation to use them.

brunop
October 16, 2007, 11:55
Hey, I know!! Nate (you smore whore), why don't you buy a Randall, come to the FAL shoot next summer, leave all your gear with me (except for the Randall), and walk off into the woods (like last time - only longer). I guarantee that that Randall will be your favorite all-time knife in about 12 hours. Maybe less. And it will be because you actually used it.

Jes tryin' to hep a brutha out.

brunop
October 16, 2007, 12:15
OK, now I'm serious. This guy is in Portland, and I guarantee he's been at a gunshow or two that you've attended. Check out his awards here:

http://www.alanwarrenknives.com/awards.html

I've seen him flex a blade 45* without bending it. And I couldn't believe how reasonable his prices are. I bought one for about $350, and I expect to hand it down to my son, and him to his son.

MAINER
October 16, 2007, 18:43
For OREGON FAL'ER:

I actually do have and use a Randall. It's probably a bit over 50 years old now. I've had it since 1960 and it was used when I got it. Just dumb luck as I didn't know what a Randall was, only that I liked it. It looks like their model 7 and has a 4 3/4" blade. Supposedly they made them in 4 1/2" and 5", but they were made freehand at the time so it could be a bit long or short.

Not pretty anymore, but nice and very sharp! Not pampered, but cared for and used only by me. :redface: Friends know not to ask anymore. :D

If you don't have one, I highly recommend them. They are pricey now, for sure and it is very, very hard to put the first mark on em. :wink:

btw: Randall might point you to a retailer in your area if interested.

Lately I've been interested in RATS and TAKS from Ontario. They come in 3", 5", 7", and RTAK at 9". Two different types of steel, 1095 and D2. Thinking a RAT 5 might save some scratches on the Randall and I really need just one more knife! :biggrin:

Para Driver
October 16, 2007, 19:04
I have an older Gerber for 20+ years.. about a 5" blade, I'll have to post a pic.. it's been on 3 safaris, and it's good for a couple more..

Falcon
October 16, 2007, 19:12
I've used a Randall "Special #1 Fighter" (Model #16 SP#1) w/ Johnson roughback sheath in the woods for many years along with a wyoming knife. Sometimes my Puma Hunters Pal or White Hunter and just recently a Cutco #1765.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Falcon007/Deer/99Buckblotout.jpg

OREGON FAL'ER
October 16, 2007, 19:55
Originally posted by brunop
Hey, I know!! Nate (you smore whore), why don't you buy a Randall, come to the FAL shoot next summer, leave all your gear with me (except for the Randall), and walk off into the woods (like last time - only longer). I guarantee that that Randall will be your favorite all-time knife in about 12 hours. Maybe less. And it will be because you actually used it.

Jes tryin' to hep a brutha out.
If'n I was to walk off into the woods with only 1 tool it wouldn't be a knife. I'd take either my hawk or my Gransfors axe, but I know my gear would be safe with you.

for at least 2 minutes:)

OREGON FAL'ER
October 16, 2007, 20:05
Lately I've been interested in RATS and TAKS from Ontario. They come in 3", 5", 7", and RTAK at 9". Two different types of steel, 1095 and D2. Thinking a RAT 5 might save some scratches on the Randall and I really need just one more knife! :biggrin:
Truth be told I don't think I sould get a knife that good just yet cause I tend to oversharpen and kinda screw up the blade. I'm gonna get something utility grade at first like my SOG Seal knives were, make all my mistakes and then possibly move on to something better. I did just order a Ontario RAT 5, RAT 3 and a Benchmade Nimravus. Oh and custom knives are not in the budget right now.

I still want to know what everyone's using though so keep it coming.

slikrickabn
October 16, 2007, 21:55
Blackjack 1-7 with black micarta handle. Also, sometimes, a Gerber coffin handled bowie. carried a Gerber Mk II for years, but have retired it.

Rick

firefuzz
October 16, 2007, 21:59

Just one more? Heck, I've got a least a half a dozen I'm wanting to buy right now.

Rob

MAINER
October 17, 2007, 09:19
Originally posted by firefuzz

Just one more? Heck, I've got a least a half a dozen I'm wanting to buy right now.

Rob

Exactly!! :biggrin: " I (always) need just one more knife"

Usually have a Cold Steel Trailmaster handy. Kind of a truck knife. Lately a Becker BK7 for field testing.

A "Gransfor's axe? :bow:

OREGON FAL'ER
October 17, 2007, 11:04

Usually have a Cold Steel Trailmaster handy. Kind of a truck knife. Lately a Becker BK7 for field testing.

A "Gransfor's axe? :bow:
Give us the update on the Becker knife when you get a chance. Thats one I've been considering. They're hard to find right now though.

firefuzz
October 17, 2007, 11:31

Give us the update on the Becker knife when you get a chance. Thats one I've been considering. They're hard to find right now though.

Haven't they stopped production on those? Wanted one meself but never got around to getting one.

Rob

GOVT1911
October 17, 2007, 13:43
I've carried a Cold Steel SRK since around 1992. Not the same one, I've had 2 stolen and lost on on a jump (glad it didn't hit someone on the drop zone!!)
It's small enough to choke up on a bit and get fine work done and still large enough to do some chopping. Takes and holds an edge well and is cheap enough that I have one in each BOB stored in all my vehicles as well as on my webgear.

firefuzz
October 17, 2007, 18:16
Has anyone tried or played with one of the Glock knives? I keep hearing what a great knife they are for the price but have never touched one.

Rob

MAINER
October 17, 2007, 18:47
Info on Becker Bk 7: From what I know, (not a lot), Becker is the designer and had his designs produced by Camillus. Camillus has gone belly up, but Mr. Becker owns the design and will have it produced by another maker at some time.

I like the knife. Good size, not too heavy. So far it keeps an edge pretty well and that's a good thing because its not easily sharpened with a small stone such as you would carry in the field.
Handle is comfortable and works well for chopping. Not sure how handle would work for thrusting, especially when wet or muddy. Not much there to keep your hand from sliding onto the blade. Happily, I don't need to worry about that stuff these days.
The sheath really, really sucks IMHO. Constructed of medium weight canvas it's loose and floppy and it's NOISEY! Basicly a canvas pocket with a plastic liner and the blade klunks about in it. It would probly be fine tied to a pack. There is a company that makes a krydex? sheath for it but it sells for $38 and the knife wasn't much more than that.
Did read that they are in demand and if you find one, hang on to it.

I'd like your opinion on the RATS sometime! :D

MAINER
October 17, 2007, 19:04
Firefuzz, I've seen the Glock knives and they are nice. The price is very good and I think they're a bargan for that type of blade which is a bayonet, fighting knife, dagger class.

OREGON FAL'ER
October 17, 2007, 19:38
I just read somewhere that Mr. Becker just signed on with some company to produce his knives again, though I don't remember which company. The article had pictures of becker shaking hands with the guy who's gonna start doing them for him. You can get them on ebay but the cost I think may be too high.

Rik
October 17, 2007, 22:48
hatchet
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/produkter/new_prod/p_vildmarksyxa.html
http://www.sagecreekoutfitters.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/wildlifegb1.jpg

knife
http://www.equipped.com/rsk_mk3.htm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/tx_dutchman/gear/DSC02393.jpg

OREGON FAL'ER
October 18, 2007, 01:01
Originally posted by Rik
hatchet
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/produkter/new_prod/p_vildmarksyxa.html
http://www.sagecreekoutfitters.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/wildlifegb1.jpg

knife
http://www.equipped.com/rsk_mk3.htm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/tx_dutchman/gear/DSC02393.jpg
Your Gransfors Bruks was made by Mattias Matson, word in the ghetto is that if that Hatchet ever breaks, a member of his family will fix it for you. 20 yr guaranty on those. I have the Scandinavian forest axe.

RG Coburn
October 18, 2007, 18:38
I tend to carry either my Becker Campanion or my Ontario RAT7.Both nice blades. The old Kabar is a great knife,too,but I like a bit more heft in the blade.
Sure hope Ethan Becker gets his line going again.Wished I'd have bought a Becker Brute when I could.

MACV
October 19, 2007, 10:18
I feel safe in the woods with my SB fighting knife.

http://www.excaliburbrothers.com/site/697427/product/21-0256SZ

MAINER
October 19, 2007, 11:31
:rofl:

:bow:

doktor_ecchs
October 19, 2007, 13:21
My dead uncle's Viet Nam era Kabar... :skull:

as ever,
Dr. X :fal:

flint_knapper
October 26, 2007, 18:16
A precise deerslayer ltd. nothing fancy, made in japan 440 stainless-
just real functional. Last time out my wife cleaned/gutted 2 small bucks
with it.

:fal:

Hot Diggity
October 27, 2007, 13:43
Dang, you boys carry some big cutlery!

I carried a Russell Canadian Belt Knife with a 4" blade for years, but found even that to be more blade than I really needed. I swapped to a Finnish Puukko with a razor sharp 2 1/2" blade a couple years ago and I can whip the breast filets out of a crow in a snap. Interestingly, both these knives have just the tips of their grips sticking above the sheath, and have always been carried with their sheaths tucked into a pants pocket. The Russell slid into my right front pocket, and the Puukko gets bottoned around a side pocket flap on my overalls.

That's what I "carry." The larger hardware is always in the truck if something really needs cutting, or chopping.

HD

Zen Master
October 27, 2007, 16:58
I'll vouch for the Glock knife-
The blade is thick and not very wide, and due to this and the alloy from which it's made, you'll probably never be able to shave with one, but...

They are tough as hell, super corrosion resistant, the sheath lockup is simple and tight, and the root saw on the back of the blade is one of the best I've ever seen on any knife.

It's also much lighter than say, an M7 bayonet, which is about the same size.

I've used my glock as a dive knife (saltwater), crowbar, tentpeg, and it has survived thousands of throws.

Get one.

And guys, I hate to blow the lid off of a great knife deal (mostly because I haven't ordered mine yet) but SMoky Mountain Knife Works has Cetme Bayonets for 4.99 each!!! Scabbards included.

All the Cetme bayonets I have handled in the past have been really excellent quality.

I plan on ordering at least ten- for the bug-out bags, the bug-in bags, the SHTF cabin, and as gifts for my brown and black belt students.

Gobble 'em up, but save some for me!

StarPD
October 30, 2007, 12:21
My Randall #14 in stainless is still unused. I can't stand the thought of ruining its beautiful appearance. :(

My Randall 6" #1 is a different story. It's stainless with a black Rucarta handle. I take it with me in the field religiously. It's around 20 years old or more. My buddy chipped it trying to dress a rabbit on a rock when he was drunk. I butchered the blade trying to fix it. I finally sent it back to Randall. They completely refurbished it to where it looks brand new. I suspect they might have actuallly replaced it, as it doesn't look any shorter or with less blade height or thickness. Cost me $50 for that.

I've used it for field dressing game, chopping trees, brush, branches, and firewood. It skins game like a skinner, and slices through muscle and gristle like they are butter, and chops through bone like it was dry balsa wood. I've used a lot of knives in my day, but I swear by Randall. VERY expensive, and a LONG wait if you order one through Randall, but worth the money and the wait many times over. As noted above, there are a few Randall dealers that have some models in stock.

For all purpose use, I recommend the #1, preferably in stainless (it's actually harder than the carbon steel blade). For heavier use, the # 14 "Attack" will do just about anything. The Model 18 "Attack and Survival" with 7-1/2" blade, while a little big, is another good choice if you wrap the handle in some sort of cord. Those saw teeth on the top of the blade will cut through just about anything. They look wicked too. :)

jaflowers
October 31, 2007, 00:24
depends on the woods outing. If I'm hunting I take the Emerson Commander and the Cold Steel Outdoorsman. If I'm camping it's the Commander and the Gerber BMF. If it's just a hike in the woods for a day it's the Commander and maybe the Cold Steel Magnum Tanto XII. They are all great knives, hard to pick just one to take with me.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/jaflowers/knives.jpg

StarPD
October 31, 2007, 09:25
Jaflowers, I see that you have a Microtech UT6. I have one too, the same as yours with the black blade except that mine has the combo edge. It's my EDC, made in 2001 when they used Boron Carbide for the black blade coating. Despite being used for just about everything a knife is, the blade hasn't a scratch. It's never been sharpened either, although it's starting to need a touch up now.

I carry mine in a horizonatal belt pouch, and have gone through 3 of them now. Current pouch is almost shot, so I have to replace it again.

It's a lot of fun watching the reaction when I open and close it. Most people's eyes bug out, and some people actually jump when that blade goes "THWACK!". You should see the look I get when I use it to clean my fingernails. :)

I also have a HALO III and a SOCOM, both with black combo edges too, and my "beater" is a Benchmade "Stryker", designed by Elishewicz, also with black blade and combo edge. The Stryker is the one I use as a loaner when someone wants to borrow one of my knives.

They all complement my remaining two Randalls.

jaflowers
October 31, 2007, 20:25
I like the Microtech but it isn't near as tough as the Emerson so I use it as a "dress up" knife when I want something smaller to carry when going out. It had problems shortly after I bought it and had to get re-furbished at the factory, works great now though. To be honest, if I could get my money or close to it out of it I'd sell it. A cool novelty that wore off quickly.

co.500sw
November 05, 2007, 15:21
I'm amazed to see all of the talk about Randall's, $,$$$! I've got 2 but I don' t carry them much any more. I usually carry my Knives of Alaska Military combo.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/AlaskaKnives/ComboSets.asp

It will shave AND split the pelvis of an elk. I feel bad beating on the back of my Randall's with a stick. (although I butcher with them, and they keep an edge quite well) The Brown Bear knife from KOA means I don't need a saw.

ALL FAL
November 28, 2007, 21:19
I always carry my Benchmade 9130 auto, but if I plan on extended camping etc, then it is the HI. Khukuri, 17" Chiruwa AngKola, razor sharp and over 2lbs of diferentially hardened 1085 hand forged highcarbon steel. with this knife, I don't need to bring a razor or an AXE. I will pass it down to someone, once you have used one, You have to own one or a dozen.:bow:http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=739

OREGON FAL'ER
November 29, 2007, 00:13
I've gotten out to the woods a couple or three times since I have started this post and my opinions on what I like keep changing. I've added a Mora knife which, for the price is real hard to beat, That being a pretty small fixed blade stays in my pack full time. My Gransfors axe is big and cumbersome for extended carry so I've gone back to my cold steel Trail hawk for chopping, which by the way I really freakin' like. I still like that ontario RAT 5 for slicing and general cutting. I've added a RAT 3 to the mix, first impression is that it is maybe too small to be a main knife but great for backup or just carving. I'm gonna have to take a hard look at what I take cause my pack is like 40 or more pounds not counting FAL and ammo . I can't take everything and its tough cause i'm kind of a gear slut.

sportsnut
December 04, 2007, 10:44
I can't take everything and its tough cause i'm kind of a gear slut. [/B]

Smore whore, ammo slut, gear slut. Your just a plain ol'e slut.:uhoh: :rofl:

You know i mean that in the nicest way......

zspeed130
December 05, 2007, 19:26
Moras are great especially for the $, I own 2. And almost always have one in my pack!

My favorite knives or the money are my Bark River Knife and Tool knives. I have 4. The games keeper is a beefy 4.5" and my woodland is just under3 (blade length) I can do almost anything with these two knives. For slightly smaller jobs and convenience I prefer My mini Canadian and I also have a Micro Canadian just for fun. I carry my Mini Canadian often just out and about because a fixed blade is just so much more versatile than a folder.

I would recommend you guys check them out! I to like the RAT. I had a D2 RAT3 I loved and I find knives of this size do just about everything without being unwieldly. The barkies are especially sheeple friendly if it is a concern

Z

buddiiee
December 06, 2007, 00:25

L1A1rocker
December 06, 2007, 00:38
I did carry a SOG seal 2000 but I don't like the 7" blade cause its harder to control than something smaller and I don't like the serrations where they are. so I listed it for sale and I'd like to hear what all you folks are using and why you like it.

Buckmaster!

brunop
December 06, 2007, 01:55
The slut isn't a Total Slut - he let me have a shot at a K-31 he was looking at in marketplace not too long ago.

But he is definitely a slut.

:love:

goon
December 10, 2007, 13:49
I carry a becker BK7 I got a few years back. Already had a lot of wear on it when the company went out of business so collector value is nonexistent. Good thing too because it's a great knife. I carry mine in a custom kydex sheath on my right kidney with the sheath under the belt. Works great for a "calvary" type draw and keeps the knife close to my body, up high, and out of the way. It's actually pretty comfortable too.
But it is a bit large for some uses. If I had it to do over I'd buy a slightly smaller sized knife - maybe around a 5" blade.
Sometimes I also carry my Ontario pilot survival knife. Like the becker, it has some use on it but it's still a good little cutter. IIRC they go for about $25 so one of them might be a good standby while you are looking for your dream knife.
I still also have a Glock field knife. I got two of them awhile back for about $20 each. Wound up selling one at a yard sale and keeping the other one. I don't use it much but it is a decent knife now that It has been sharpened and had the edge reshaped a little. Its pretty thick too and can take some light prying without worrying too much. It probably won't break but if it does I'm only out $20.

And I'm never without a leatherman.

STGThndr
December 10, 2007, 15:29
Lately Ive been carrying a damascus 3.5 in drop point skinner made by a local guy here in Colorado. I bought it from him cause Ive known him for years and he was once an instructor when I was in "cop school". I also keep a khuk and a Buck 120 (Vietnam era) handy in the trunk. The damascus is disappointing in that it requires carrying a small stone to keep the edge honed. The steel seems pretty soft. Someday I hope to find a carbon 5 replacement for my lost and lamented C5 Master Hunter, which about did it all. Got one for sale??

indy_Muaddib
December 10, 2007, 17:32
Buck Nighthawk 650

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/buck_650od.jpg

crcksht
December 11, 2007, 00:53
Blackjack "Simba", approximately 12 inches of blade and double-edged in stainless. Axes and machetes don't even come close to this bad boy.

http://blackjack.0catch.com/pages/simba.htm

Deltaten
December 11, 2007, 21:22
Blackjack is from Effingham?

I bin ta Effingham...in fact four of us were in Effingaham for breakfast last year on the way to FF'07.
"Can we get some G'D eggs ta go w/that F'ing ham?"
The locals at the Denny's didn't sport such a sense of humor :D

Ya know, I looked at them back in thier day. Had a thang for DE blades. Just seemed to be a bit much for cruising the woods and fields of Berks Co.., PA ;)

Paul

StarPD
December 12, 2007, 11:03
Deltaten,
I like your sig line about evil.
Too bad so many just don't get it.

crcksht
December 12, 2007, 12:41
Delta,

The Simba might be a bit much for cruising the woods behind your house, but its a wonderful camp tool for the backcountry and much lighter than a hand-axe or machete.

Brass Rat
December 16, 2007, 20:23
I carry a Ka-Bar for choppin, etc but I have the top edge filed off. The double edge is great for fighting but damn dangerous on a tool.

My 30+ year old Buck 110 get used in the field more than any other knife I own.

spatin
December 17, 2007, 01:28
Ahh, youz guys. Everyone wants to show how much they spent on their fancy ass knives. I can do just fine with my Buck 119. It has skinned and field dressed elk and deer, and cut them up at camp for long term storage as well. Gets and holds a very good edge and I can't imagine any knife, no matter what it costs, doing any better than my $59 Buck. Maybe a belt axe as a compliment to the Buck, maybe the Buck axe if they still make it. ....
Sidney

allobo
December 17, 2007, 16:48
I'm real fond on the Ontario RAT-7 and the good old K-Bar both in 1095 steel.
Always have a Schrade or Case trapper slippie in the pocket though.

mhg
December 17, 2007, 23:00
Ruana

Matt

k7kit
December 21, 2007, 02:17
Was just trying to think what I took in the field on the last elk hunt, a Kershaw 1550 in the pocket, and a Kershaw 1030 on the fanney pack belt. In the knife/sharpening box in the tent was a 25 year old Buck 124 which I have not packet around for years and a Buck 692, the knife I loan out.

StarPD
December 21, 2007, 10:10
Funny how many of us have "loaner" knives for our friends who don't even own one good knife.

k7kit
December 22, 2007, 21:42
Yes, I agree either they did not bring a decent knife and/or you get tired of them trying to use a knife so dull it is only dangerous to themselves! It is usually; here use this ... "wow, this thing is sharp".

Les
Bend,OR

jugrunner
December 23, 2007, 14:54
Old school I guess ... Air Force survival knife ... Ontario mfg. I think ... Good carbon steel that I honed with a jewelers file and it's scary sharp !! ... holds an edge well and very easy to touch up ... doubles as a hammer ... sawback (useless) ... stone attached so I can actually sharpen it in the field ... I never "forgot" my stone ...

$30/$40 ... can't beat the price !! ... can't beat the knife IMHO ...

jugrunner
December 23, 2007, 15:01

I save the Randalls for only the "most serious" cutting jobs and I don't have a clue what that would be. :rolleyes:

There's just a certain sense of satisfaction in owning the "Best" of something that nothing else comes close too ...

StarPD
December 23, 2007, 22:06
I think one has to actually use the finest of things, whether cars, motorcycles, guns, or knives to appreciate real quality.

dbl-haul
December 24, 2007, 01:42
model 11 Randall Alaskan Skinner. Have been a fan of Randall knives since the 80's. This model 11 is new and has not cut any wild game yet.
I have owned a model 14 and I am going to order another soon. Fifty dollars down and a 58 month wait.:eek:

macvsog
December 24, 2007, 12:09
A Gerber BMF.

Colt
December 24, 2007, 22:12
my normal woods knife is my Knifekits.com home built. It's not the prettiest, but it fits my hand well, and the AUS8 seems to hold an edge very well.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w19/Colt45guy/muzzle005-1.jpg

http://knifekits.com/store/s-pages/kk_store_1mainframe.htm?kk_products_fixedkits_main .htm~smain

(Mine is the Delta 5 Modern Bowie)

For deployments or when I'm spending more than a day or 2 out, it's the Chris Reeve MkVI because the hollow handle keeps all my McGyver stuff handy.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w19/Colt45guy/blackhawkairborne004.jpg

DUX0726
January 13, 2008, 15:57
This has been an interesting read. I, personally, have never seen knives to be anything more than a cheap, disposable tool. If it's sharp, and cuts and doesn't break, it's a "good knife" to me (A good sharp mil-surplus AFSK comes to mind since that is what I carry when hunting). How do you guys justify spending more than 30-40 bucks on a knife? Why not invest that extra money in a firearm or better yet, ammo? I guess I just don't get it. Could someone enlighten me?

http://www.bestglide.com/product_images/Ts1000_lg.jpg

Why is this not good enough?

StarPD
January 13, 2008, 18:33
A Yugo will take you where you want to go, but don't ask a knowledgable BMW oner if he'd settle for one instead of his M5.

I guess one has to actually own and use a fine knife to fully appreciate it. Randalls for example, made their reputation strictly by word of mouth for many years, wherein servicemen used them in grueling conditions for some of the worst abuse imaginable. Their knives, while now the darlings of collectors and even some poseurs, are still made by hand the same way, and of the same materials, as they were for lo these many decades. They are acknowledged to be among the finest tools of their kind available. That's why the wait for one is four years.

But it all boils down to choice. While there are some good inexpensive knives on the market, there's just something about owning and using the best. It's why Rolex, Mercedes, Armani, Johnston-Murphy, and other premium brands are in demand, admittedly often by wannabes, but even then for the reason that RKIs have established them as desirable for their quality, even superiority.

Me? I don't own any of the above brands, but I do have two Randalls. After beating the life out of one of them, and having it still look and perform like brand new after 20 years, I know why it's worth the money and long wait to get one. Luckily for us, there is a long list of knifemakers and their products range from the sublime to the ridiculous. As I always say then, "Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer cherce".

STGThndr
January 13, 2008, 18:54
DUX0726 writes:

I, personally, have never seen knives to be anything more than a cheap, disposable tool. If it's sharp, and cuts and doesn't break....

Each of us develops taste and preference thru our natural inclinations and experiences. Many many reasons for obtaining the best we can get have been given in this thread. For some, truly, it is a matter of pride of ownership, enjoyment of a higher class of weapon or tool simply for it's own sake. For some it's a matter of years of trial and testing of various blades- something we do because we can afford to, and have had reason to regret past cheaper solutions. Speaking for myself, I started out with a cheapie stainless bowie style in the 1960s, then graduated to the Kabar military, Bucks, then a variety of other unsatisfactory solutions. I finally got hold of a Cold Steel bowie and a Master hunter when they first became available. All of the rest went by the board.. the Carbon 5 steel was so superior in edge holding, strength and the ability to TAKE a razor edge and keep it under adversity. And no not stainless or VG1, they are the late, lamented and unsurpassed Carbon Five, now alas unavailable. The cost of these was high compared to others I had owned but the quality in a production knife is unsurpassed IMO and experience. I have a hand made custom damascus but even it doesnt meet the quality of these knives. This is my experience, I dont work for Cold Steel, and I think they are idiots for not using the Carbon Five anymore. These are blades I have staked my personal ass on and they have always performed absolutely.
Live and learn..... cheaper will get you by for sure but there is no substitute for quality in any use... be it life and death or day to day...... no substitute for good steel stock, good tempering and heat treating. This from a guy who has collected and used everything from seriously handmade el cheapo to the best available, and not meant to put down the Kabars and such like. I was certainly happy to lay down my trusty Bucks when the Cold steel products became available- night and day difference. I will never, by the grace of GOD willingly choose to use any stainless blade again- and will likely never replace my Carbon 5 blades. Your mileage may very well vary and who knows what may become available in future, but for my needs and trust there is nothing I like better. A pity Cold Steel cheapened their product!

jugrunner
January 13, 2008, 18:56
Originally posted by jugrunner
Old school I guess ... Air Force survival knife ... Ontario mfg. I think ... Good carbon steel that I honed with a jewelers file and it's scary sharp !! ... holds an edge well and very easy to touch up ... doubles as a hammer ... sawback (useless) ... stone attached so I can actually sharpen it in the field ... I never "forgot" my stone ...

$30/$40 ... can't beat the price !! ... can't beat the knife IMHO ...

DUX0726 ... it's good enough for me !!

DUX0726
January 13, 2008, 19:01
I guess I just don't see a knife as the kind of primary tool that warrants "the best." The way that I would frame the above BMW analogy would be: A rifle is the BMW, the knife is the "floor mat" of the BMW. That being the case, who cares if your floor mats are expensive? They are there to absorb abuse and be replaced often; so long as they match, color-wise, nobody will be able to tell the difference, and if they do, they will be in the minority and "nitpicking" anyway.

I've had my mil-surplus AFSK for 10 years and it's served me well; still going strong; and only cost me 20 bucks! I can replace it for 35 if need-be and get another 10+ years out of it more than likely; beats waiting 4 years and spending hundreds of dollars; same end-result anyway (and at a 10th the price and wait).

Ok, carry on I guess, but this still doesn't make much sense to me.

StarPD
January 13, 2008, 21:33
Not a good analogy, DUX. My '94 Infiniti Q45t had very expensive wool carpeting floor mats. It was 14 years old when I traded it, and they looked almost new, despite being wet many times and having plently of dirt tracked on them. I even spilled a chocolate malt on the drivers mat once. It cleaned up like it never happened. Now, my '05 Q45 has the same kind of premium wool carpet floor mats. At 3 years old, they look like brand new. The floor mats in my (10 new) Corvettes wouldn't come close.

Besides, a knife is not part of a rifle, but a stand alone tool. Perhaps you've never owned a premium knife, or car for that matter. Maybe, as I've said, one has to actually own and use a top grade knife hard for a long time to appreciate just how good they are. I've had and used quite a few knives in my days, and none compare with my 6" Randall #1 with a black Rucarta handle. Ask any Chris Reeve owner how he likes it, or someone who owns and uses a Cooper, Morseth, or other fine knife.

When it comes to knives, you DO get what you pay for.

DUX0726
January 13, 2008, 22:35
Never owned anything more expensive than an Acura. I sold it, got a Honda, and had the same car at a 1/3 savings. ;)

It's fine man, do what you want. It's just not my cup of tea. A knife is stone-age tool, not a car or a gun or a computer to me. If you want to spend your money that way, well, Que Sura, Sura!

P.S. You have 10 Corvettes? Forgive the jab, but you can clearly see that this alone eliminates you from being the kind of person that can give sound advise to "the average Joe." There is a near physical wall of financial reality that separates you into a niche category of consumers that can obviously afford to do ridiculous things; for the other 99%, we must live by the ways of pragmatic sanity.

StarPD
January 13, 2008, 23:00
You're right about the Acura. It's no more than a tarted up overpriced Honda. How people as smart as Honda thought they could produce a true luxury car with front wheel drive and a V6 in competition with Lexus and Infiniti's rear wheel drive V8 powered full sized cars is beyond me. In the case of your Acura, you WERE smart to replace it with the same thing for less money.

As for knives, I agree, and have already stated that one must satisfy their own needs and tastes. My personal experience tells me I'm justified in spending more for a premium knife, yours may be different.

Once again, "Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer cherce".:)

spatin
January 13, 2008, 23:09
Good thread and good conversation.

I used to buy cheap knives, and they worked and did what they were supposed to do.

Then I got my first Buck Knife many years ago. It was a great improvement over the blades I already had. The Buck and the other cheap knives all cut, but the Buck stayed sharper longer, and had a thicker backbone and a full tang to the end of the handle, so it worked "better" and was more controllable.

Then I got a set of Chicago cutlery (when they made pretty decent knives) and found the same to be true in the kitchen.

Good blades are ok. Excellent blades are a joy to work with.

It is kind of a Mercedes-Benz thing, I guess. Chevy is ok too.

I still like my Buck #119. Had it >20 years and it still looks like new and cuts like the day I got it.

And now I'm taking a hard look at some of the Cold Steel products. I kinda like the looks of that Tanto. Anyone here have one of those?

Sidney

Muggzy
January 14, 2008, 11:00
Spatin,

I have two Tanto Style blade, knives. They are S&W's. While I like the idea of the Tanto style I found they are a super pain in the hand to sharpen.

these S&W knives you can pick up for about $30-$35 each

nylon sheathe with a honing stone

dakdak
January 14, 2008, 14:00
Can anyone tell me if they have had experience with the Applegate-Fairbairn
Boker produced knife ? It is currently made of stainless steel.

Also, has anyone paid the 500. or so to purchase a new Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie in San-Mai steel ? If you have, please tell me if you think it is worth 500.

Thanks in advance.

StarPD
January 14, 2008, 15:59
I don't have one, but for a multi-purpose fighting knife, the Applegate-Fairbairn is reputed to be a pretty good one. Boker has a pretty good rep too, so I think if that's the type of knife you want, it might be a pretty good choice.

Here is a reviews, made by a severe critic:
http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/applegate_boker.html

Remember, he's evaluating it as a hunting knife, not a fighting knife.
I've read his other reviews. I think he wants a knife that is short, light and strong that will chop wood like an axe, slice through a 3" hemp rope with one stroke, penetrate hardwood 2" deep, sharpen with 4 strokes of a stone, hold an edge for a year without touchup, never rust, and cost under $50.

Guy's almost as picky as me. :eek:

DUX0726
January 14, 2008, 17:49
StarPD, you were so civil and cool in response to my question (and jab) that you've made a believer out of me. Looking to try out a "quality knife." What would you recommend on a 100 dollar budget (got to start somewhere right).

Brett
January 14, 2008, 22:00
I know BMW's but I don't know much about knives. I had an '85 M6 and I remember the car better than the woman. As for knives I like tha carbon V cold steel recon tanto. All I know is I can stick it through 1000 pages of phone book, though I haven't tried other knives so I don't know how this rates.

StarPD
January 14, 2008, 22:01
Well DUX, $100 won't buy you a premium knife, but with a little careful shopping, you can get a "good" one.

SOG knives are reputed to be pretty good, here are a few"
http://www.agrussell.com/knives/tactical/sog_gov_tac_614_fixed_blade_w_black_tini_coating.h tml
http://www.agrussell.com/knives/tactical/sog_tech_bowie.html
Note that they are AUS 8 steel, hardened to around 57-59 Rc.

For more money, here's a Gerber that's 154CM, an excellent blade steel, hardened to 59-61 Rc:
http://www.agrussell.com/knives/tactical/gerber_silver_trident_single_serrated_blade.html

Go to one of the better knife forums, You can find some good feedback on really good knives on them. Here's a few links:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=669
http://knifeforums.com/forums/fusionbb.php?

HTH.

FortunateSon
January 15, 2008, 13:55

A "Gransfor's axe? :bow: I've been working on my knives and have a pile down by the recliner in the living room, much to my wifes chagrin. omething like 40 I've accumulated over the years. 10 of those are Cold Steels and I find that when it comess to keeping an edge and USING them when I'm hunting or in the woods, they get brought the most. My Striders are a close second. The Trailmaster and Master Hunters do it for me.

RT
January 15, 2008, 15:37
i have 1 of these, a Top's Bush Ranger. here is a stock photo.~R---ps i have about 6 blades that cost over $150.00 each

FortunateSon
January 15, 2008, 17:29
RT, REALLY liked the looks on the TOPS stuff and bought 2. BOTH blades broke on me.

RT
January 16, 2008, 01:46
Originally posted by FortunateSon
RT, REALLY liked the looks on the TOPS stuff and bought 2. BOTH blades broke on me. FS what did Tops do about the broken blades? please tell me that they are a stand up knife co? ~Richard

FortunateSon
January 16, 2008, 14:59
It's been several years - I bought RIGHT after the company started. Things may be different now.

Deltaten
January 16, 2008, 19:48
WOW! FS broke not one; but TWP TOPS knives!
THey have a lifetime warranty...no exclusions!

I normally only carry the fixed blade when I'm at one of our camp/shoot weekends. It's always my TOPS "Dawn Warrior" I little bigger than RT's , tho ;)
I like that one RT...been looking at 'em since they came out. Din't have that one when I got mine.

While I can appreciate fine steel and graceful lines; I am loate to spend the kind of money that the customs bring. The TOPS was bad enuff! :)

Paul

FortunateSon
January 16, 2008, 20:26
Originally posted by Deltaten
WOW! FS broke not one; but TWP TOPS knives!
THey have a lifetime warranty...no exclusions!

Paul REALLY? I still have one of the broken knives! Never bothered to contact them. Let's see what that warrantee is worth...

RT
January 16, 2008, 22:47
FS how did you break the knife?~Richard

FortunateSon
January 16, 2008, 22:58
Trying to break apart an elk joint. PM returneed.