PDA

View Full Version : Home built Wilson Combat 1911

Aifwikir
October 07, 2001, 12:21
Just thought I'd show off a little. I built this over a 2 year period with the final purchase being the Wilson Stainless Steel receiver. It contains ALL Wilson Combat parts.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551676&a=11770398&p=54941336&Sequence=0

Thanks for lookin' ;)

:D
Aif

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Aifwikir ]

DFWBob
October 07, 2001, 12:50
Beautiful 1911. They are no doubt my favorite handgun.

Bob

LVACGAR
October 07, 2001, 13:45
Very sweet! I've been considering this for a while. With the availability of aftermarket parts it is possible to build your "dream gun" straight away. No need to buy a base gun and replace parts piecemeal.

How hard is the build? Is there a good reference to proper fit and function?

FALshot
October 07, 2001, 13:50
No doubt, it's a beautiful pistol, the classic lines of the 1911 are timeless!

Just out of pure curiosity, since it's all Wilson, did you built it yourself strictly for saving money on it, or perhaps to spread out the costs involved over time in purchasing such a high end pistol?

Would you mind telling us how much you have it in and some of the specific features other than what we can see visually?

Again, a beautiful top notch pistol.

Bill Woodward
FALshot
Portland, OR.

Aifwikir
October 07, 2001, 17:03
With the addition of the last parts, Wilson's Drop-in Barrel & Compitition Trigger, it has come to about $900.00 over the 2 years. I do need to have the slide re-blued (holster wear). I bought ONLY Wilson Combat parts for this 1911. The only real fitting I had to do was Slide to receiver and it didn't take that much fitting. I milled the slide for the Wilson Sights (Novak clones I beleive). This pistol copies the Wilson "Protector" (two-tone) model ($1895.00). Turned out to be about half price but I did all the fitting and finishing. It will never be a REAL Wilson Combat pistol because it's made from parts (not made by Wilson's shop) But it's still an excellent pistol.

:D
Aif

Master Blaster
October 07, 2001, 17:14
Very Nice! I was able to buy a Wilson Protector about two years ago and I love it. The pistol is capable of inch groups at 25 yds. Far better that I am capable of, with these middle aged eyes. I have had many other 1911 pistols but none that I like as well. My only complaint about the pistol was the Armor Tuff finish. I contacted Wilson about it and they re-finished the pistol in a satin, hard chrome at no cost. In fact, they gave me two magazines for keeping the gun longer than they said that they would. I am sold on their product line, that's for sure. Enjoy the pistol, AIF
Regards,
Jim

Steven
October 08, 2001, 11:10
That's a damn good idea.

red rider
October 09, 2001, 09:49
Great job, well done. I saved that picture, to remind me what I would like mine to look like someday.

1911's are another love of mine.

Two years is not that long for such a fine piece. I better get started right away. :D

Brian C.

riffraff
November 14, 2001, 22:39
I've got eight Wilson 1911 mags (both 7-rnd and 8-rnd). I've also got three old WWII-era G.I. mags. NONE of the Wilsons will hold open after the last round. ALL of the GI mags will. WTF? :(

Anyone know where I can buy some metal followers??

riffraff
November 14, 2001, 22:45
I've got eight Wilson 1911 mags (both 7-rnd and 8-rnd). I've also got three old WWII-era G.I. mags. NONE of the Wilsons will hold open after the last round. ALL of the GI mags will. WTF? :(

Anyone know where I can buy some metal followers??