PDA

View Full Version : New Century M70AB2 Underfolder questions

Gunny71
August 18, 2007, 16:00
I just bought a "new" Yugo Underfolder at a pawn shop. It was an impulse buy, I really only stopped in to look. :biggrin:
The main reaons I bought it was that it felt heavy as heck and the trigger felt really good, and it looked awesome! The only AK's I have had any experience with were a CIA WASR and a MADDI. This Yugo blows them both away in all areas. I havent shot it yet, but the trigger feels notthing at all like the other two. It is long, but very crisp. I don't think slap will be an issue at all, altho I havent shot it yet. The sights are straight, no cant.

My questions are:
Who made this Rifle? It has Century International Arms and D.C.Industries stamped on it? From the little I have googled this, I beleive that DCI built the receiver and CIA supplied the kit and built it? Is that correct? Also, It must have been bought originally from S.O.G, there was a slip of paper in the box from Jerry and the S.O.G. Warehouse Prep Team. If century built it then they have come along way. The Bore lookes pristine.

Next question, the muzzle brake is loose. I can press in the plunger and get it to go a little more than halfway around by hand before it gets tight. I cant see any way to get it around the rest of the way without putting a big ass pair of channel locks or a small pipe wrench on it. Is this normal, should it be arsehole tight? I am afraid to shoot it with it loose.

This rifle looks and feels incredible. I can not wait to shoot it. Its raining out now, so I can only offer a couple of inside pics.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/Gunny71/ak001.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/Gunny71/ak002.jpg

:biggrin:

1stSSPZ
August 18, 2007, 16:28
You are correct in all your assumptions about your AK's pedigree. I have also had several AKs and my (woodie) Yugo underfolder is much better than the others. Don't worry about the flashider, mines the same way and after 800 rounds, its still there. Enjoy!

FAL GRUNT
August 18, 2007, 18:54
The wobble of the slant brake is pretty normal. The only way to fix it is to put it in a vice and slowly file the face down until it will turn completly and lock tight agianst the front site base.

I did this on a build for a buddy and it DEFINETLY improved the "value" and look of the rifle.

-myers

gunner30
August 18, 2007, 22:12
Got one last year(wood furniture though) very robust,good AK quality reliabilty etc. No regrets about this one at all. This would definitly be my go to gun if SHTF

Timber Wolf
August 19, 2007, 19:49
One of my two Yugo underfolders had the severely loose flash hider, the other was fine. I tried a couple of flash hiders I had on hand until I found one that tightened up reasonably close. These rifles are a real value for a folder in today's market and seem to be better built then most AKs. I really enjoy mine.

Gunny71
August 20, 2007, 12:54
I used a file as mentioned and got it to time corectly, thanks. Haven't been able to shoot it yet, but cant wait. The folder locks up tight in both positions and feels really good on my shoulder. The rifle points really well.

FAL GRUNT
August 20, 2007, 19:21
Glad to hear it.

-myers

ALL FAL
August 20, 2007, 20:12
Hey Gunny, what did ya pay, as I looked at one just like it at a pawn shop today. They had 485.00 with 2 30rd mags, like new?? If ya dont mind me askin?? Thanks.

Gunny71
August 20, 2007, 21:20
Thats a little cheaper than I got mine for. I got the same deal for 499.00.

I hope it shoots as good as it feels.

:fal:

ALL FAL
August 21, 2007, 12:33
Thanks Gunny, I may get this one .

tim503
August 21, 2007, 17:10
Mine is at least twice as accurate as any other 7.62x39 AK I've ever owned or shot. It'll do 2" groups at 100 yards, and slightly less if I do my part. The best of the others I've shot in that caliber would be the polish ones (the ones I've shot anyway), which did roughly 4" at 100 yards. Most of the others I've shot have been more like 5-6" at that range.

Now, I've shot a couple of 5.45x39 AK's that do 2" groups, and I've heard that's not unusual for those, but 2" for a 7.62x39 is exceptional. I'm gonna guess the Yugo's do better than others because of the stouter trunion, etc. More beef means less flex when firing. Or so I would think. YMMV

I hope yours turns out to be as accurate as mine!!! :)

(edited to add: the groups were 5 shots)

Brian in MN
August 22, 2007, 08:13
Originally posted by tim503
Mine is at least twice as accurate as any other 7.62x39 AK I've ever owned or shot. It'll do 2" groups at 100 yards, and slightly less if I do my part. The best of the others I've shot in that caliber would be the polish ones (the ones I've shot anyway), which did roughly 4" at 100 yards. Most of the others I've shot have been more like 5-6" at that range.

Now, I've shot a couple of 5.45x39 AK's that do 2" groups, and I've heard that's not unusual for those, but 2" for a 7.62x39 is exceptional. I'm gonna guess the Yugo's do better than others because of the stouter trunion, etc. More beef means less flex when firing. Or so I would think. YMMV

I hope yours turns out to be as accurate as mine!!! :)

(edited to add: the groups were 5 shots)

I don't think so. IMHO you just got lucky. I have a couple preban Yugos that will only do the typical 6 inches. It is possible that your US barrel is actually better than the real deal.

tim503
August 22, 2007, 09:17
I don't have a US barrel. It's the original, and it's my build.

Either way, I definitely got a good one. :cool:

Gunny71
August 22, 2007, 16:09
I can not seem to tell what US parts are on this rifle. I would like to put wood handgrips on it, but I know that the current HG are part of my compliance count. From what I can tell the PG and HG counts as three, and I suppose barrel and receiver count as two,but I can not find any markings of any kind on the HTS or muzzle brake in order to determine what else is US made. Since it has a muzzle device it needs six US parts correct?

Timber Wolf
August 25, 2007, 06:08
Originally posted by Gunny71
I can not seem to tell what US parts are on this rifle. I would like to put wood handgrips on it, but I know that the current HG are part of my compliance count. From what I can tell the PG and HG counts as three, and I suppose barrel and receiver count as two,but I can not find any markings of any kind on the HTS or muzzle brake in order to determine what else is US made. Since it has a muzzle device it needs six US parts correct?

I believe six is correct but the hand guard and grip only count one each (top and bottom handguard = one part for counting). On my synthetic stocked Yugo I would say the receiver, barrel, handguards, and HTS are the US parts. My grip looks used and appears unmarked as does the flash hider. The piston is also a fairly common US part. So, who knows, Century appearantly won't say so just do what you think is right and lets you sleep at night.

Gunny71
August 25, 2007, 14:40
RGR, will do.
Is your HTS marked?

Thanks

rubicon923
August 25, 2007, 22:04
Your Yugo was built by Century on a 1.5 mm thick DCI receiver. Most AKs have 1.0 mm thick receivers. I think the barrel is also heavier. Hence, the beefier feel. DCI receivers are supposed to be one of the best US made receivers. The barrel is a new Green Mountain US made barrel.

Most of these rifles have the Tapco G2 trigger. Although, one of mine came with the Century trigger. Look closely at the trigger and see if it has a "C" or a "G2" on it. The Century trigger has really long travel. I wondered if the hammer would fall before I ran out of trigger travel. I changed my Century trigger to a G2 (single hook) trigger group, which I like much better.

My slant muzzle brakes are also loose. As others have said, nothing to worry about. The plunger keeps the brake in proper orientation.

Did you get any Yugo BHO mags with your rifle? Some people like them and some don't, but they have become difficult to get in good condition lately.

Lots of people are surprised by how nice a job Century did on these rifles.

tim503
August 25, 2007, 22:12
IIRC, the piston on the yugos is a different length from the standard AK piston. Someone correct me on that if I'm not thinking correctly. I know for sure that the hand guards are different than standard AK stuff (longer). At any rate, the US compliance parts I used were: 1) receiver; 2) hammer; 3) trigger; 4) sear; 5) pistol grip; 6) muzzle brake. - Since your century has polymer hand guards, I'd be willing to bet that they are US made (they don't look like any euro stuff I ever saw). I have no idea if Century used original barrels or US ones, so if yours isn't marked and you can't find out for sure somehow, I wouldn't count it as a compliance part. - My US grip is marked on the top of the grip where it meets the receiver so that you can't see the US marking unless you take the grip off... so you might want to take yours off and look for that. If it's not marked, that doesn't mean it's definitely not US (it seems that century doesn't mark their US parts too well, if at all), but if the grip looks beat up, it's probably original.

The century guns were all made from demilled parts kits, meaning that when they were imported their original receivers were cut up. That would mean that the receiver on the century guns is a US made part, so you can probably safely count that. Look closely at it and see if there's anything written about importation. If not, it's US. - Also, on the subject of the demilled kits, the ones that came in before the latest rule change (which was a lot of them) all came with the original barrel intact, so they could easily have been used by Century. On the other hand, some of those original barrels were sewer pipes inside from corrosive ammo and no chrome lining, so there's a chance that Century might have replaced them. I can't imagine them replacing something they didn't have to replace though. You might want to look inside your barrel and see if it's dark or shows any signs of pitting in there. That would indicate that it's probably an original Yugo one. If it's perfect, it's more likely (but not certain by any means) to be US made. - Also, another thought... on the kits that came in after the rule change, the barrels were cut up just like the receivers, so if yours was made from a later kit, the barrel _would_ be a US part. Again, unless it's marked or has some other way to be identified as US made, there's no way of knowing other than guessing based on it's internal condition.

If you're gonna put wood hand guards on it, Ironwood Designs has nice US made stuff. I've got one of his hand guards on a different rifle I have, and it's really well made. http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/
One thing's for sure... it won't hurt your parts count to put those on your rifle. - His stuff is unfinished, but you can do a search here and elsewhere (including his website) to find really easy methods of finishing them to be really good looking. The Rit dye "staining" method is really easy. :)

Let us know how your rifle shoots when you get time to take it out and try it. :)

tim503
August 25, 2007, 22:20
- When I posted above, I didn't see rubicon923's post about them using green mountain barrels. I wonder if they did that on all of them, or only on the later ones after the original barrels started being demilled for importation?

- edited to add - The reason I wonder, is that pulling the sight towers and gas blocks, etc, off the original barrels and putting them on the new ones would run their cost up considerably. I can't imagine them doing that if they weren't forced to.

newfalguy101
August 25, 2007, 23:18
I havent seen this addressed above yet

Century built the gun, SOG bought it from Century and sold it to, probably the shop you bought it from.

Hot Diggity
August 26, 2007, 00:26
Gunny,

You didn't specify which direction you were turning the brake when it got tight after 1/2 turn. Did you try turning it the other way? Muzzle thread is RH.

Yugo's didn't have chrome lined barrels, and lots of them look really sad, so if you have a bright shiny bore it may be a new US barrel, or just a pristine original.

Very handy little rifle.

HD

Hot Diggity
August 26, 2007, 00:28
It is late...or early. I guess that'd be left hand thread. Just screw the thing the other way.

G'night.

HD

Gunny71
August 26, 2007, 18:11
There was nothing wrong with the threads, it just needed an extra 1/2 to 3/4 trurn to index correctly and not be loose. I filed the bottom of the brake untill i removed enough metal so that I could run it up flush with the gas block and have it index correctly. The barrel is bright and shiny with sharp lands. It has the tritium flip up sights, but they are dead or painted over.

I was able to shoot the rifle today. Shot great, my only beef is that I had to move the front sight almost al the way to the right, and nothing appears canted. Shot very well once I dialed it in. The trigger breaks easy but is v-e-r-y long. Other than that if feels really good. I can not find any markings on the HTS anywhere. If it is marked I wil need to pull them out of the reciever to see it. No problems of any kind, and so far more accurate than my GPWASR or MADDI.
Here is mt last 5 shot 100 yard group.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/Gunny71/range005.jpg