PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! - Barrel #s = destination or manufactury country?

melp
July 30, 2007, 18:41
Hi! I took others' advice and managed to find an early 1960s complete Aussie barrel to reconstruct an L1A1 (with DSA upper receiver).

However, I'm stuck with a metric barrel that I bought on GunBroker. The seller, even though I showed comparisons between his barrel and an Aussie cut barrel, refuses to provide me with a refund. He states that numbers 66 or 98 (I believe) indicate that the barrel was Austrlian made. Furthermore, he states that South African barrels are numbered 051 or 18.

In perusing the FAL Forum files, I have yet to see anyone make mention of country codes on FAL or L1A1 barrels. Have I missed something of which I should be aware?
Thanks for your help!

Falcon
July 30, 2007, 21:48
He's probably referring to the NATO Codification System, or specifically the NSN (NATO Stock Number) country code portion of the number. Google NSN's, (and search the FALfiles) there's lots of good info explaining their usage.

Some country codes are...

United States 00 and 01
(NATO Standard) 11
Germany 12
Belgium 13
France 14
Italy 15
Netherlands 17
Canada 21
Denmark 22
Greece 23
Iceland 24
Norway 25
Portugal 26
Turkey 27
Luxembourg 28
Argentina 29
Japan 30
Israel 31
Singapore 32
Spain 33
Malaysia 34
Thailand 35
Egypt 36
South Korea 37
Australia 66
Saudi Arabia 70
New Zealand 98
United Kingdom 99

Brian in MN
July 31, 2007, 07:51
You might have better luck if you delete this thread and repost in General Firearms. You are in the reference section. The fine print outside says:

NOTE: Frequently Needed Answers about your FAL or L1A1. Please do not initiate a post here. Moderators usually move or initiate posts in this Forum, but ANY may answer.

melp
July 31, 2007, 08:36
Brian. Thanks for coorecting the error in my ways. I've copied this over to the seggusteion you suggested. I'm still have lots to learn. Regards, melp

p.s. You may delete this thread located here as you see fit