PDA

View Full Version : Scoped a mosin the easy way

ACCURRETT
July 27, 2007, 08:46
A while back i seen a post for someone asking about scoping a mosin nagant.
While there are drill and tap mounts, and also the picatinny rails which replace your rear sight, i took it one step further and just took the whole rear sight off.
Now my mosin is an izhevsk with a flat rear sight. I can't say as this will work on all, but it works on this model.

First i beat out the two pins holding the entire rear sight block on, removed the upper front handguard, then lightly tapped the sight block to the front of the rifle and off the firearm. And WAHLAH! underneath appeared a weaver dove tail base for a nice sturdy set of rings and a ler scope.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z250/accurrett/garrettsguns.jpg

Imho its easier than trying to get a hold of a good rear sight scope block or rail, it requires no permanent changes to the firearm, and no drilling/tapping. Hope this helps everyone who may need it.

ACCURRETT
July 27, 2007, 12:00
have not had any problems so far. But it did put my scope about 1"1/2 closer to me. I will probably get steel rings before deer season just to be on the safe side. as far as the rail the gun has its just long enough to get your scope inbetween the rings with about a 1/4" to play with. Also the rail is practically identical to the ones on ruger 10/22-/marlin 60 etc. i put about 120 rounds through it with no problem.

instr8
July 28, 2007, 19:15
I have an 1945 Izhevsk M44. This does NOT work for mine. My rear sight is all one piece and held in place with interference fit and one pin. Much like any typical AK barrel appendage. Boy, I wish though. Neat trick anyway.

Colt
July 28, 2007, 19:34
Originally posted by ACCURRETT Also the rail is practically identical to the ones on ruger 10/22-/marlin 60 etc. i put about 120 rounds through it with no problem. [/B]

glad that it worked for you.

My take on this is that a 7.62x54 recoils a lot more than a .22 and it's worth the hassle/expense to use parts designed to take that kind of beating.

+5 WECSOG points for the ingenuity though. (woulda been 10, but you didn't mention bleeding)

gunner30
July 28, 2007, 21:51
"The easy way"------ I thought you had used duct tape:angel: