PDA

View Full Version : Machining a locking shoulder

Chunk
July 26, 2007, 09:54
How deep are locking shoulders hardened? I need to take off .009.

Radio
July 26, 2007, 11:48
Are you too cheap to buy another one? You can get them for only about $15.

I am DEFINITELY of the school to never file a locking shoulder because you are never sure about maintaining the correct angle or uniform thickness. There are some other more adventurous souls here but for $15, or something I've already got in stock, it ain't worth it to me by a LONG shot.

--Radio

dougjones31
July 26, 2007, 13:18
Not to mention, you can swap the one that came in your kit and get one that is the correct size and it will only cost you shipping $...

Just post the size you have and what you need......somebody will swap it.

NoNotAgain
July 26, 2007, 13:33
Originally posted by Chunk
How deep are locking shoulders hardened? I need to take off .009.

Don't worry about RADIO calling you cheap, just look at it as making do with what you have.

Here's a link to a post I made a couple years ago about machining a locking shoulder.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1430304#post1430304

This should be all the info you will need.

ggiilliiee
July 26, 2007, 13:36
http://community-1.webtv.net/ggiilliiee/HOMESURFACEGRINDER/

done a bunch with home surface grinder ..daling in original face ...but .009 is a bit much..(got clearence on everything ??? .009 seems a big jump in tolerance) ...you could always try it in a pinch/ last resort and test the fresh cut with a standard file for hardness ..if it cuts easy with the file at 46 rockwell ...no good ...better off getting another like the guys said ....most i pulled is about .004 with no problems ...it may also be fairly deep hardening ...all ya need is a bit of tootsie pop soft center to keep it from shattering

Chunk
July 26, 2007, 15:29
I need a .250 LS. Guess its non standard as I canít find one too order. DSA will make one for $50. I waited 16 weeks for a receiver, how long are they going to make me wait for a LS?

Dunk RD
July 26, 2007, 15:36
Try Ed Vadnenburg here on the files. If he doesn't have one he;ll make you one.
Dunk RD

mj2evans
July 29, 2007, 20:05
Yep, call Ed V. in Houston. He just mills them up to order and is a stand up guy.

dirtyrice
July 30, 2007, 07:12
I needed a .250 for my last build also and noone had one. A board member had a .251 that had been worked on. In the end it was just what I needed.

teamster
July 30, 2007, 09:05
hey chunk i had the same problem with my dsa rec . very tight demensions went to a smith to have the barrel installed and headspace done . had to shave metal everywhere, barrel threads, barrel shoulder, headspace shoulder pin to .250 even the bolt carrier bound up but instead of filing that we just found one in a box of parts that was looser.. good luck

sixgunsal
August 07, 2007, 20:15
Last 4 builds in my shop have been Imbels on DSA rcvs. all shoulders were in the .250 to .254 range!! Those DSA rcvs are very tight.!!!