PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a Semi Short Barrel Shotgun?

FAL guy
July 25, 2007, 14:18
I'm considering a Short Barrelled Shotgun as a next project, but I'm leaning toward using a well used 11-87 SP I have.

I'm thinking a 14" barrel would look quite wicked, but the question is, could I make the gun run?

I'm thinking opening the ports a little at a time until it runs on field loads would make sure it runs on 00 buck.

thoughts?

RPBII
July 25, 2007, 16:00
I have shot a Winchester Ranger many years ago that had been chopped to about that length. The gas port was opened up some for more gas. It would empty the magazine with no problem.

thanatos56
July 25, 2007, 16:55
I fired off many rounds through someone's Remington 1100 that had the barrel cut off even with the end of the five round tube; what's that? 12 inches? And I know for a fact that NOTHING was done other than screw down the shorter barrel...

easttex
July 25, 2007, 21:46
Is it legal to cut a shotgun barrel shorter than 16"?

I've shot a couple short barreled shotguns. They were both cool, but a real handful. And LOUD....

shootist87122
July 25, 2007, 21:51
Benelli already makes a simi-auto that short, but they are not gas operated.

shootist87122
July 25, 2007, 21:52
Originally posted by easttex

No.

FAL guy
July 25, 2007, 22:44
Originally posted by easttex

It is perfectly legal....as long as you jump through the right federal hoops and pay the bureaucrats $200. It is called building a Short Barrelled Shotgun, and is required if you want a shotgun barrel shorter than 18". You can also build a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16" with the same procedure.

It starts by submitting an ATF Form 1 along with all the other necessary stuff to ATF with $200 and waiting for approval. When you get the approved form 1 back, get out the saw!!

kev
July 25, 2007, 22:48
Just to get the facts straight,.........shotguns are limited to 18" unless the proper paperwork has been acquired. Rifles are 16".

Ah, FAL guy beat me to it. Oh well, he's 100%.

As for the 11-87,...........

I'm years out of date with what I think of as modern shotguns, but AFAIK, the 11-87 has a compensating system that allows it to run with both heavy and light loads interchangeably. If that's the case, it might well run without any mods at all. What I would do if I wanted to try this is whack the barrel off at 18" and try it out before jumping thru the NFA hoops for 14". If it works at 18", it shouldn't take much to get reliable function at 14". OTOH, I think losing that last 4" of barrel isn't worth the trouble. I'd rather keep the gun at 18" unrestricted, but maybe that's just me.

Diomed
July 25, 2007, 23:40
Well, the Saigas work at very short barrel lengths, but they're AK-based, which doesn't help you much besides showing it can be done some how, some way...

Surly
July 27, 2007, 11:48
Originally posted by Diomed
Well, the Saigas work at very short barrel lengths, but they're AK-based, which doesn't help you much besides showing it can be done some how, some way...

I have a S-12 that had a 24" barrel that I cut down to 19". I opened up the ports (there are three) to .092" to keep the functionality 100%. The Saigas that sport a shorter length have to be opened up as well and they do have a goofy gas system compared to the 1100 series Remingtons. SBRing an 11-87 shouldn't be a problem. Worst case scenario would be you having to open up the port a little. Make sure it is accessable before you start the process and gradually open it with an indexed bit set and a cordless drill when you go shoot. You should be able to get it 100% inside a half hour. :D

Clark
August 24, 2007, 22:54
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47387&d=1162758471

I made a 12 ga LONGER.

newfalguy101
August 24, 2007, 23:01
interesting

bet its a real bugger during house clearing drills :rofl: :biggrin:

Timber Wolf
August 25, 2007, 20:45
Originally posted by kev
OTOH, I think losing that last 4" of barrel isn't worth the trouble. I'd rather keep the gun at 18" unrestricted, but maybe that's just me.

18" and unrestricted is cool. I have several shotys at 18" and although shorter would be nice I don't want the hassles that go with it. Now if somebody wanted to give me an old Auto-Burglar or such I would consider it.:D

firefuzz
August 25, 2007, 21:43
Browning Auto-5. Do the paper work and pay your fees. When the stamp comes in just get out the hacksaw and file, in 20 minutes your done.

You can cut the barrel back to about 13" or so, no gas system to adjust so it'll function just fine.

Five rounds of 9 pellet 00 buck, I think .32 or .33 cal, equals 45 projectiles in the air in a second and a half, with a little practice. Cyclic rate of 1800 projectiles a minute. Sound mean? :biggrin:

I've already got one I've been putting together, piece by piece for 2 years. Just finished one with a 20.5" barrel that sure raised the heads of a couple of Benelli shooters at my last practice session. They've got over $800 in their guns, I might have $300 in mine, but I don't have it refinished yet.:tongue:

Rob

firefuzz
August 25, 2007, 21:50
Originally posted by FAL guy
I'm considering a Short Barrelled Shotgun as a next project, but I'm leaning toward using a well used 11-87 SP I have.

I'm thinking a 14" barrel would look quite wicked, but the question is, could I make the gun run?

I'm thinking opening the ports a little at a time until it runs on field loads would make sure it runs on 00 buck.

thoughts?

Another nice thing about the A-5 is you can adjust for heavy or light loads in about 1 minute. Mine's set up for heavy and you have to shoot a pretty light field load for it not to function.

Rob

cookhj
August 25, 2007, 22:24
tromix does some good SBS saiga conversions. a few people on ARFCOM have them with 8" barrels. they look like 12ga krinkovs.

USMC 0341
August 27, 2007, 22:12
Another great reason to consider the Saiga-12 : no matter how short you cut the barrel the magazine capacity doesn't change.

My Saiga has a barrel that's about 16" - but a bit over 18" with the permanently attached muzzle break. With ten round mags it's really hard to beat for house-clearing fire-power.

Radio
August 27, 2007, 22:20
That's hilarious, Clark. You're 30 yards away from your target, and still hammer it at point-blank range.

I can see the Photoshop seams, however. Next time, DON'T hire 6of7 if you want some QUALITY work done.

--Radio :biggrin:

mnhornet
August 28, 2007, 06:32
Actually, I've seen shoty's like Clark's, Photo shopped or no.
They use them for Urban Crow hunting and park Deer hunts Where tree huggers may interfere. They are said to be very quiet.

Clark
September 12, 2007, 21:05
It it not photo shopped.
I got the reamer, tap, and pilots from Brownells for Rem chokes.
I got used 12 ga barrels from Ebay.
I cut the male threads on the lathe.
I turned old barrels into long remchokes with remchoke muzzles themselves.

And I alter allot of guns myself, but it hurts to hear about cutting down an A5 barrel.

newfalguy101
September 13, 2007, 17:14
Originally posted by Clark

I made a 12 ga LONGER.

Just curious Clark ( man I feel like I am talking to myself!!:D ) was there any particular reason for modifying that shotgun, or was it a grins and giggles/cuz I can kind of thing???

Clark
September 13, 2007, 18:45
It makes the sound of a pellet gun and makes a hole like a cannon.

newfalguy101
September 13, 2007, 19:40
sounds good to me!!

Akkid
September 21, 2007, 07:14
Email sent. If your still interested in the project I have a factory 11-87 14" barrel.

FAL guy
September 22, 2007, 09:26
Originally posted by Akkid
Email sent. If your still interested in the project I have a factory 11-87 14" barrel.

Response sent. And again, my apologies for my first response. :shades:

JohnnyMac
September 23, 2007, 05:43
Originally posted by Clark
It makes the sound of a pellet gun and makes a hole like a cannon.

Hastings (French company) sells both really long replacement barrels, barrel extensions for shotguns. IIRC, the long barrels are referred to as "Metro" barrels, as in for use near Metropolitan areas.

JMc

panzer
October 05, 2007, 10:44
... as opposed to use by "metros"... a completely different entity, but often found in the same area....

Timber Wolf
October 06, 2007, 08:54
[And I alter allot of guns myself, but it hurts to hear about cutting down an A5 barrel. [/B][/QUOTE]

Amen, but old rough Remington Model 11 barrels can be had. I just happen to have an old barrel that was Polychoked long-ago-a-time that is perfect to shorten and build a SBS with.:eek:

I picked up a vent rib 18 1/4" Rem 1100 MAG barrel off Evil-Bay a couple of years ago that had been shortened nicely right at one of the rib supports and looks good. As the guy that sold it to me said "nothing says get the hell out of here like 12 guage magnum".:biggrin: Although I currently have the 1100 mag set up for Turkeys and keep an 1100 Comp Master around the house for "social" work.:cool: