PDA

View Full Version : AR15 A1 finish question

Douglas S Graham
July 25, 2007, 05:13
Need help. ALL of the lowers for these are COAL BLACK. I have a Colt upper that is grey colored. How do I get the lower to match?? PLEASE don't send me to arfcom! Thanks!!!!! DSG

PS, yes I'm an AR15 complete newbie, hence the stupid question.

jerrymrc
July 25, 2007, 12:50
Originally posted by Douglas S Graham
Need help. ALL of the lowers for these are COAL BLACK. I have a Colt upper that is grey colored. How do I get the lower to match?? PLEASE don't send me to arfcom! Thanks!!!!! DSG

PS, yes I'm an AR15 complete newbie, hence the stupid question.

NDS lower is supposed to be a close match.here (http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm)

arrow
July 26, 2007, 08:03
Sir,
I bought one of the NDS lowers and it is the charcoal gray finish. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for.
But my A1 upper is more like the dark Magnesium phosphate finish (aluminum oxide) and it does not match my NDS lower. The NDS lower is A quality piece of work and I will order one of the retro lowers to complete my "old colt build". I was thinking of sending my rifle off to be refinished to A proper common color. Any suggestions?

TerryN
July 26, 2007, 16:28
There are any number of people who can refinish your receiver(s) to match each other. Most will be some type of 'paint' finish, like ARS' Metacol finish, or DuraCoat. There are a few specialty companies that do hard coat anodizing in different colors, although I'm not familiar enough with any of them offhand to recommend one. Another alternative is powder coat - a lot of companies offer this finish to the automotive industry, and there may be someone local to you who can do it.

Prototype Services
July 26, 2007, 18:49
Victor at US Anodizing can make them match.