PDA

View Full Version : Tightening a pistol grip?

Diomed
July 25, 2007, 00:05
Is there any way to tighten up the grip without stripping the lower? The grip on my L1A1 rotates noticably, and I suspect that's not a good thing. (It's a Brit lower and an Ironwood PG.)

justashooter
July 25, 2007, 04:01
careful. the more you tighten that pistol grip, the faster those bullets spin, making them able to penetrate human flesh.

everybody knows that deer rifles can't kill humans 'cause they don't have pistol grips to put the evil spin on the bullet, that folding stocks make a distinct "Klick" sound when opened that causes all human prey to freeze in their tracks like a deer in the headlights, and that barrel shrouds are "those things that, you know, kinda fold up like this".

bykerhd
July 25, 2007, 07:50
Is the lower one of the ones that Century ground off the bushing to install a thumbhole stock on ?
If so, you either need to get a replacement bushing, check GunThings.com,, a different lower or live with what you've got.

shootnstuff
July 25, 2007, 12:49
I would say try to get the stud tack welded to the receiver first. If you don't have access or know anyone with a welder you could also try JB Weld. Either shouldn't cost much at all.

sns

English Mike
July 25, 2007, 16:27
Whoa!

It's an INCH lower, so it doesn't HAVE a stud - it's a screw, or Allen screw.

Open the rifle & detach the lower from the upper.

Look to the left of the hammer spring & you will see the head of the screw/bolt.

Tighten as necessary.

Diomed
July 25, 2007, 23:28
Thanks gents, I shall open her up and see.

Actually, I might practice on one of my spare lowers before doing it on a functioning (allegedly) rifle.

SIG552
July 26, 2007, 02:37
Doimed,
It's not cranial surgery. It'll be the only hex head in the lower.

SIG552

Diomed
July 26, 2007, 23:30
Originally posted by SIG552
It's not cranial surgery. This is Murphy's rifle. If it can go wrong, it probably will.

It's spent more time in the shop than it has with me. That's not an exaggeration, either. Bought it a year ago, and I've had it maybe three months of that time.