PDA

View Full Version : Jennings Nine question

cabofdoom
July 24, 2007, 15:13
Please save the jabs at Jennings Pistols. Its not mine, its all the person who asked me to look at it has. (but yes, I had a Davis in I believe .25 acp...POS of the first order but I was living on a cab drivers wage in Vermont)

Now to the question: I cant seem to disassemble the damn gun with the take down button missing (see attached pic). For that matter, I cant seem to retract the slide all the way, nor can I get it to lock open

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4151/dscn2530gg8.jpg

TIA for any help

COD

ElRon
July 24, 2007, 20:39
Have you called the experts? http://www.shiningstardist.com/Contact.htm

newfalguy101
July 24, 2007, 20:57
I am basing this on the belief that they take down the same as the .22 models

the takedown button is that magnifying glass looking do-hickey on the rear of the slide.

dry-fire the pistol

push the do-hickey inward while gently pulling the slide back and up

hold your breath, now wiggle your tongue in a circle while humming the theme from MASH

OK OK I was kidding about the last instruction......................mostly

it takes some wiggling and manipulating but it WILL come apart..............I hope

good luck

762shooter
July 24, 2007, 23:39
A few of years ago there was one brought into the shop that I part-timed
at. It did as you discribed and the firing pin was broken in like three pieces,
which is probably why there is a hole in the take down catch on the one you
have there. If there is no pin visable in that hole then the firing pin is broke,
and probably jambing up the works. Push in on the take down catch and
wiggle the crap out of the slide as you try to pull it rearward and up off the
frame and if what newfalguy101 said to try don't work, you might try beating
it off the workbench while whistling Dixie.

jimmy_stikx
July 26, 2007, 08:35
That looks like my Dad's Raven MP25.

Simple take down, push in that button thingy in the back, lift the slide and wiggle it forward. Should pretty muchly slide off.

The firing pins on these things are crap, made from cast steel and then case hardened, brittle as all get out.

TexMac
July 26, 2007, 22:47
cabofdoom:

Please, allow me the slam, then I'll get to an attempt to answer with my humble experience.... Again, slam first, humble offering to follow.

Bryco/Jennings?!?!?!? Sorry to hear that.... POS of every sort! Kalifornia 1-shot-wonders! Your compadre is better whipping an offender with it! That little lariat on the side was to symbolize all the cash roped in from the poor suckers who wasted their cash on these -- and I must even admit to owning a Bryco38 several years ago, so....

Okay, I feel better now.

The Bryco 38 and Jennings 9 were HORRIBLE about strength in the slide. This stuff must be pot metal. After a hundred rounds or so, many were lucky to ever fire again. If the pin or spring are not actually broken (which is a huge probability, by the look of your photo), the slide face (where the case head of the round is seated, and the firing pin will strike the primer) is probably "crushed" and has collapsed to where it will actually seize the firing pin forward. There's nothing you can really do for this without another slide, and the weapon isn't worth it. If you're so equipped and want to spend valuable time that can't be justified by the return on the project, you can end-mill this soft material out and install your own steel insert. Probably still have to replace the pin and both springs, though.

Yes, unless you have other damage (wasted springs or deformed release tang), you shouold be able to depress the release about 1/8" and lift the slide off at the rear. If all attempts fail, hand it back to him and tell him it has now been converted to a perfectly functional tap hammer.

Best of luck.

Thanks for alowing the rant. I've needed to vent that one for YEARS!

cabofdoom
July 27, 2007, 08:54
Originally posted by TexMac
cabofdoom:

Please, allow me the slam, then I'll get to an attempt to answer with my humble experience.... Again, slam first, humble offering to follow.

Bryco/Jennings?!?!?!? Sorry to hear that.... POS of every sort! Kalifornia 1-shot-wonders! Your compadre is better whipping an offender with it! That little lariat on the side was to symbolize all the cash roped in from the poor suckers who wasted their cash on these -- and I must even admit to owning a Bryco38 several years ago, so....

Okay, I feel better now.

The Bryco 38 and Jennings 9 were HORRIBLE about strength in the slide. This stuff must be pot metal. After a hundred rounds or so, many were lucky to ever fire again. If the pin or spring are not actually broken (which is a huge probability, by the look of your photo), the slide face (where the case head of the round is seated, and the firing pin will strike the primer) is probably "crushed" and has collapsed to where it will actually seize the firing pin forward. There's nothing you can really do for this without another slide, and the weapon isn't worth it. If you're so equipped and want to spend valuable time that can't be justified by the return on the project, you can end-mill this soft material out and install your own steel insert. Probably still have to replace the pin and both springs, though.

Yes, unless you have other damage (wasted springs or deformed release tang), you shouold be able to depress the release about 1/8" and lift the slide off at the rear. If all attempts fail, hand it back to him and tell him it has now been converted to a perfectly functional tap hammer.

Best of luck.

Thanks for alowing the rant. I've needed to vent that one for YEARS!

Okay, I'll let the rant pass as I had a davis years ago and I feel your pain.
Well to make a long story short thetakedown button was mashed into the firing pin spring and the spring was chewed to hell and back. Still couldnt get the slid off. took the grips off and a piece of broken pin fell out ( couldn't tell fron where (not the firing pin) and a small pile of metal shavings. Gave it backe to my buddy with Shining Sta Investments addy and told him he has a perfectly functional downrigger weight

Thanks again for the help everyone and thanks for keeping it on topic for the most part (if you have owned one in the past you are allowed:wink:) If I never have another Davis/Jennings/Raven/Lorci on my bench it will still be too soon

COD

ElRon
July 27, 2007, 14:26
If I never have another Davis/Jennings/Raven/Lorci on my bench it will still be too soon

I saw the light, I saw the light.
No more darkness; no more night.
Now I'm so happy no sorrow in sight.
Praise the Lord, I saw the light!

A friend showed up to shoot with his new Jennings nine. He really didn't like me telling him he just threw his money away. I have seen him almost make it through a magazine after some gunshop tinkering. He hasn't reached the part breakage round count yet, he's afraid to sell it because it's linked to him on a 4473, and he's too honest to sell it to someone he knows. He bought himself lifetime friend. So far he's resisted my advice to cut it up and throw the pieces down deep abandoned mine shafts.

newfalguy101
July 27, 2007, 17:39
Originally posted by ElRon

A friend showed up to shoot with his new Jennings nine. He really didn't like me telling him he just threw his money away. I have seen him almost make it through a magazine after some gunshop tinkering. He hasn't reached the part breakage round count yet, he's afraid to sell it because it's linked to him on a 4473, and he's too honest to sell it to someone he knows. He bought himself lifetime friend. So far he's resisted my advice to cut it up and throw the pieces down deep abandoned mine shafts.

Sounds like he has the same "issue" I do, if I buy a lemon, I REALLY dont like passing them on, I feel guilty selling a known less than stellar gun, EVEN if they KNOW what they are getting.........................Thats why when I buy a gun for re-sale ( used) I DONT shoot the thing, that way I can honestly tell them I dont know how well it runs/accuracy/recoil/jams etc.

Sentinelofold
August 02, 2007, 12:16
If you dont have it fixed already i can walk you through it without a whole lot of trouble , so long as the pin isnt in 3 pieces. I bought three as parts guns and all were locked up tighter than dicks hatband and unable to be disassembled. I am fairly certain you wont have any troubles after the walkthrough i give ya.

Robert

P.S. Anyone know of somewhere that needs 2 damn near complete parts guns for these? after reassembling 2 of them i still have 2 that the sear wont trip and make it fire , but taken apart it works???:confused: