PDA

View Full Version : Need Metal Finishing Tips

UMR_Engnr
July 23, 2007, 21:59
I am finally ready to start refinishing an FAL kit and an Enfield 2A Ishapore (becoming a scout rifle). I plan on using KG Gun Kote for the finish, but I am still a little unsure what to do about degreasing, so I was hoping I could get a bit of help before I dive into this:

1. What is the best degreaser that won't leave residue?

2. What is the best blueing/rust remover?

3. What do you guys use to plug the barrel and chamber? I don't want any overspray getting in there.

4. What is the best type of paint to detail the "Fire" and "Safe" letters?

5. Can I just degrease my DSA receiver and skip sandblasting it? It seems to already have some sort of phosphate coating.

6. Any other tips? This is my first refinishing job. I do have an old Mossberg 273A to try everything on first, so I hopefully won't mess up my good rifles.

Thanks for any help.

shootist87122
July 23, 2007, 22:18
Follow KG's directions on the degreaser(s) to use. Acetone works well - nasty stuff so use proper protection and ventilate.

DSA receivers are already parked so just degrease and spray 'n cook per the directions.

I just push a cleaning patch part-way out the end of the bore and also use one to plug the chamber.

After degreasing, I like to heat the part up to about 250* to cook out any oil/grease that might remain (let cool before spraying with the KG). You don't want to find this while cooking the parts after applying the Gun Kote. (AMHIK).

It's best to Not use the family oven (fear of toxic chemicals and all that).

chromestarhustler
July 24, 2007, 02:44
birchwood casey gun scrubber, best cleaner, unless u can get mek, or mpk, birchwood casey nitro/ copper remover dissolves bluing really really well