PDA

View Full Version : para conversion ?s

boomboom
July 20, 2007, 23:46
I would like to know if I buy a para lower will the headspace change with the old bolt and the new bolt carrier (calling for a new locking shoulder)?
Also how important are the para cuts, is the no nose OK or should I have my reciever cut for the nose?

USMC 0341
July 21, 2007, 03:54
Changing bolt carriers - but using the same bolt - should not affect headspace at all. Only if there was something seriously defective with the new bolt carrier and it did not fully depress the rear of the bolt to lock on the locking shoulder would I expect a problem.

NHBandit
July 21, 2007, 08:20
It's always best to recheck headspace but I seriously doubt it will change. I used a DSA "no nose" top cover on 2 of my para builds and the only difference is that you have to be careful when you dissasemble it that you don't launch the spring into the next room. Function is the same as original.

Radio
July 22, 2007, 00:21
I did a test about six years ago with seven carriers and seven bolts. While the bolts would change headspace (but only about plus or minus .001", a range of .002" total) the carriers ALSO affected headspace, but not nearly as often, and not more than .001" if at all.

Wouldn't hurt to pull the extractor and break out your GO and NO GO gauges, but you probably won't see much of a change, assuming you see an effect at all.

--Radio