PDA

View Full Version : Aguila mini-shell specific shotgun

IronSkegge
July 20, 2007, 22:28
Know anybody that has designed an action specifically for the minishells? I think these would be pretty sweet in an autoloader, if it would function reliably.

The Aguila mini-shells are 1.75", while regular shells are 2.75", so a mag tube that would normally hold eight 2.75" shells, would hold twelve mini-shells.

After writing the above statements, I'm thinking the increased capacity(4) is not that great of an improvement, and probably not worth the trouble.

aardq
July 20, 2007, 23:20
Brought this up with the Mossberg and Remington folks at the NRA show in St. Louis. Remmy has no interest at this time. Mossberg said that they see no need for a new gun, and that they were currently working on a lifter that would allow for reliable feeding of the mini shells in the 500 series guns.

If it wasn't for the NFA, a 12" or 14" barrel on a short mini receiver with a full length magazine would make for a dandy house defense gun.

Dan

Diomed
July 21, 2007, 00:44
People say that they'll work in pumps, but I just don't see it. I tried running them through a Norinco 97 - which Aguila specifically says can handle the shells reliably - and got jam after jam, only once or twice did it feed reliably.

To expand on aardq's comment, I plan to use up the minshell's I have when I finally build that SBS I've been meaning to make. A 10" over/under should do quite well with them...

FN74
July 21, 2007, 01:57
They work flawlessly in a winchester 1300/1200 series pump shotgun. My defender I had would hold 11 in the tube. There was a specific shotgun made for them a while back, but I don't think it took off.

IronSkegge
July 21, 2007, 03:51
Centurion Ordnance Poseidon/Minishell combo. I dont think they are made anymore.
http://i15.tinypic.com/4ta72g0.jpg

ACCURRETT
July 23, 2007, 23:03
They won't work well in my mossy 500, But a rem 870 or 1187 that has a fully enclosed lifter they worked just. And the slugs are pretty accurate. I have shot the buckshot #4's and #1s', and the slugs. the buckshot was pretty bad at 50 yards with a smoothbore slug barrel, BUT the slugs were decent. Could hold four inch groups at fifty yards. I'de say that is pretty good. I used a little piece of tin to enclose the lifter on ol mossy and i did not have any problems after that, plus you can fit 16 of them! and thats a whole lot of boom.

xtremerange
July 24, 2007, 10:54
It is sounding like reliability is specific gun dependent? works with some of one model but not others of the same model?

GOVT1911
July 24, 2007, 11:42
There was a guy with a Mossy 590a1 that used to shoot 3gun matches with us around Ft. Bragg that would use the mini-shells. His gun fed reliably. When I asked him about it he said he had bought a new lifter from somewhere (I don't remember where) and that solved any feed issues he had.

Sure wish I knew where he got it, I'd love to have one for my 590a1

bybon
July 24, 2007, 12:14
I have used them in my Benelli Nova with little success. I found the buckshot pretty accurate to about 25 yards. They seem to feed well enough, but ejecting is not good. They get caught in the ejection port and have to be pried out most of the time.
I think it may have to do with the ejector itself. This little shotgun is suppose to to handle up to 3 1/2 shells. The ejector is spring loaded and slides back horizontally to accept different shell. That is my best guess!