PDA

View Full Version : AK rivet question

willie91fx
July 19, 2007, 14:19
I"m riveting the rear trunnion,the rivets are about 1/2 inch too long, how long should they be on the outside of the receiver?

vmtz
July 19, 2007, 14:23
Off the top of my head I seem to remember that they were 1/4 inch on my builds. I doubt it really matter too much because the swell when pressed and what is left should form a head.

Vince

hockeysew
July 19, 2007, 14:43
If you want to go by the Standard Aircraft Handbook:
Standards for judging a good rivet set:
The width(Of the set head) should equal 1.5 times the diameter of the rivet.
The height of same set head should be 1/2 the diameter of the rivet.
Example- Rivet diameter is 1/8th"
A good set head should be 3/16" in diameter and 1/16' high.

This is for aviation rivets but should be a good rule of thumb.

XHardrock
July 19, 2007, 15:14
[i]
This is for aviation rivets but should be a good rule of thumb. [/B]

1.5 x dia. is what I use also (old habits), but leave the rear trunnion rivets a little longer since I had a few swell inside the trunnion leaving a short tail.

W.E.G.
July 19, 2007, 15:51
We didn't drill-out the rivet straight. So, the drill bit emerged from a place in the trunion where there had not previously been a hole. So, we flipped the trunion over and drilled out the rest of the old rivet from the opposite side. Problem is, that left us with a bigger cavity than we had planned on.

We were concerned that the new rivet would buckle inside the "oversize" rivet channel. So, we filled the channel up with JB Weld, then pushed new rivet into the channel. The JB was allowed to harden, and the head-forming operation went forward without any trouble and without any apparent "swelling inside the trunion."

You can hardly see the "extra hole" now. Well, you can see it if you look for it. But, its pretty innocuous.
The Marines we trained on that rifle didn't seem to care.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1635811

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1635827

BEEP! BEEEP!!!

COMING THRU!!!!! :biggrin: