PDA

View Full Version : AK74 Q -adding bayonet lug back on?

moshaholic2
July 18, 2007, 00:02
I had this rifle built before the sun set :(

Is there a way to do this other than replacing the front sight (which I can't find a bulgarian replacement anyway)

Could a good smith weld on new material and then machine it properly? It's pretty much just adding a couple little "tabs" to each side of the cleaning rod holder.

also, it has an Ohio reciever that has never seemed to work properly anyway. It's been back to the smith multiple times to get worked on. Has a persistant bolt over problem, regardless of mag used. Think the reciever is just a hair out of spec.

Who else is making high quality AK74 receivers these days?

thanatos56
July 18, 2007, 23:15
Originally posted by moshaholic2

Who else is making high quality AK74 receivers these days?

http://www.nodakspud.com/

Toten Kopf
July 19, 2007, 00:26
I remember someone making a tab that is welded/silver soldered/screwed to the sight for bayonet use. The tab was made to the same size as the regular lug but had a grove cut in the center so it would lay on the cut lug. I'm probably not making any sense but it did work. I haven't been able to find who made this part although I'm sure it wouldn't to hard to make.

The receiver might not be causing your bolt over problems. Usually the problem is that the selector stop is to thick and prevents the magazine from seating properly. Meaning that the back end of the magazine sits a little low and allows the bolt to slide over the cartridge.

Here is a picture of good bolt to cartridge alignment. If your bolt is not engaging the cartridge as shown, it's probably the selector stop.

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/MVC-506F2.JPG

gunplumber
July 19, 2007, 10:09
just a smsll elaboration on the above post - its not the selector stop itself, but the plate of which the selector stop is a part. there is a channel on it. this probably needs to be deepened (upwards). If the builder modified the mag catch, to make the mag fit when it was positioned too low, then it will have to be replaced or welded up to its correct heigh

you can weld in the block and regrind the bayonet spade.

hockeysew
July 19, 2007, 14:48
you can weld in the block and regrind the bayonet spade.

My WASR has had this done and once refinished you couldnt tell the difference.