PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca M37 Q

mtnguy
July 16, 2007, 14:49
Anybody ever WESCOG'ed a pre 855,000 barrel on a M37. As I understand it, the shoulder on the barrel may require adjustment of the shoulder portion, forward of the threads. Input greatly appreciated.

hanko
July 16, 2007, 17:17
If you've timed an fal barrel, you'll know what to do. Removing metal from the receiver side of the shoulder will allow the barrel to time perfectly with the half-thread between the barrel and receiver.

-hanko

brownknees
July 16, 2007, 18:48
IIRC the threads were also made differnt pitches to prevent any accidents by doing just this. I'll dig into my Ithaca archive when I get home & post the details if I can find them.

GRUMPY
July 16, 2007, 21:44
I've done this - once. The "threads" on the new barrels and receivers aren't threads at all, just 60 deg. V slots, ie, they have no pitch or spiral. The older ones were actual threads. The only fix (that I know of) is to machine off the shank and solder a new ring with the correct threads or slots on to it. Then you have to set up and interrupt the threads on the mill in an indexing head. Then you get to "time" your new barrel as with an FAL. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

brownknees
July 17, 2007, 07:27
Thanks, grumpy, you saved me the effort of rummaging thru a pile of photocopies.
:beer: