PDA

View Full Version : Bi pod assembly?

Northwoods
July 15, 2007, 09:56
What is the correct method of assembly and installation for a bi pod? I would like to keep my eyesight and those are some powerful looking springs!
Thanks Bruce

Arby
July 15, 2007, 12:12
I presume that you are talking about the bipods on the Stg-58 or G-1

Take the clamp and and put it on the rifle (make sure it is pointed the right way). There should be an insert that goes between one part of the clamp and the barrel. Make sure it is in place. If you don't have it, you can make one out of a flattened piece of nail. Or, you can just leave it off, thought the bipod will swing more than it's supposed to.

Insert one screw and snug it just a bit. This will keep the clamps together on the rifle. Assemble the other bipod leg on the clamp. You may want to use a board against the pointed part of the bipod leg, so as not to injure yourself or do damage to the floor, desk, or whatever else you are using to aid in compressing the spring and forcing the top of the leg into the clamp. Insert screw and tighten. Then, go back and remove the other screw that was holding the clamp together on the barrel, and assemble the second leg onto the clamp. If it is an Stg, it will have castle nuts to go on the end of the screws.

The first time is always a little tricky. Once you get the hang of it, it is no big deal. I would recommend eventually getting the Steyr combo tool, as it serves as a screwdriver for the screws and a wrench for the castle nuts.

If I haven't explained it clearly, someone else will come along and clarify what I haven't. Also, there are threads in the archives that deal well with bipod assembly.

Good Luck!

Abominog
July 15, 2007, 20:08
Does your bipod have castle nuts or not? Makes a difference.

Northwoods
July 16, 2007, 04:42
It has castle nuts. Bruce