PDA

View Full Version : DSA STG58 breech block stuck in chamber

pjenson
July 14, 2007, 22:26
Greets:

This is my first post: I bought a new STG-58 rifle from my dealer. 21" FAL with Steyr barrel and DSA Receiver. I fired about 300 round of 145 gr surplus while tuning the gas system and setting the iron sights. I was able to get about 2 MOA at 100 Yards. I was a satisfied owner.

I ordered a muzzle brake and an extreme duty scope mount. I wanted to reduce the recoil and put my eotech to good use. I asked my dealer to have the gunsmith add the muzzle brake after cutting the barrel to 16.5".

Problem #1 - My gunsmith called and reported that the barrel was warped and could not be cut. DSA said that the barrel was serviceable at 21" and that a replacement was not available due to it being a Steyr barrel. DSA also reported that the warped barrel was caused by attaching the gas system 1 out of 1000 times. After dealer negotiations - I was able to get a 16.25 threaded premium barrel for a reduced cost. My gunsmith head spaced the barrel and added the muzzle brake.

Another dealer gunsmith added the extreme duty scope mount and a Millett DMS-1 scope. Very nice.

Range report:

I ran about 140 rounds of 145Gr Surplus and some 168 Gr reloads. The gas setting was set to 1 and produced a few failure to extracts. I set the gas to 2.

I cleaned the barrel and chamber at 40 rounds.

I had about 5 of the reloads that would not feed due to case problems most likely neck lengh.

Ok - I started seeing problems where the round would not feed and created a light primer strike on Factory ammo.

The last round started to feed and managed to lock the breech about 1" open. So the bolt carrier is about 1" from gas piston. The round is in the chamber / the breech block is locked and the bolt carrier will only move back about 2 inches.

I am waiting to take the rifle to the gunsmith in the AM so he can safely remove the the round. I removed the lower receiver and trigger assembly.

Thanks for sticking with the story to this point.

I started reading the forum to get some ideas on what might have caused this and what can be done to unjam the bolt.

- Possible causes ? The receiver cover was installed correctly with smooth action performance. upon removing the cover - it was still very tight.

The action was not dry and 100 + rounds should not have created that much debris ?

Factory and reloads - I should have left the reloads for another day, but they have been working in 2 other rifles, PSS and FN PBR. The factory ammo is surplus that was flawless prior to the new barrel.

I did get about 4 factory / reloads in the previous 2 magazines that did not feed or misfired. I did not see if the bolt carrier was seated 100%. I would recycle the bolt to extract and move on. I was using the brass catcher. The misfires showed light primer strikes.

So - how to extract the round without removing the barrel? This is for my edification.

THanks for your time and experience.

Pete

jvm
July 14, 2007, 22:31
Make sure your smith don't think your rifle is a full auto and pick up the phone to ATF.

After reading about Broadswords ordeal. I put a DSA saftey and pistol grip on mine., so there is no way anyone could think the selector could go to the happy position.

Deltaten
July 15, 2007, 20:32
save the bux and do the "PoGo" :D

bykerhd
July 15, 2007, 21:42
The gas port may need to be opened up in that new barrel.
The gunsmith may not have lined up the gas tube properly and the gas piston may be binding.
The gunsmith may have set the headspace on the tight side.
As in for .308 Winchester and not 7.62 X 51.
The gunsmith may not have used a proper receiver wrench and managed to twist the action a bit.
Or maybe a bit of all of it.

The WECSOG Pogo should remove the offending round.
Are you sure it isn't a fired round that is partially chambered ?

JohnnyReb
July 15, 2007, 21:50
Pete,

That is just about the best first post I have ever seen. :beer:

Court in Fl
July 15, 2007, 22:09
I think you could remove the gas piston and then use a long steel rod to drive back the bolt carrier.

If you think it's a live round in the gun DON"T GET in front of the muzzle when you try this.

Could you have had a case seperation ?

Court in FL.

indy_Muaddib
July 15, 2007, 22:17
pull the butt stock off to remove the spring tension on the rear of the bolt

remove the hinge assembly pins.

remove the lower.

this should free up the bolt carrier and allow you to remove the offending round safely.

ce
July 16, 2007, 12:15
Problem #1: Gunsmith

Problem #2: Dealer

Problem #3: Owner

Solution to all of the above: Gunplumber

Just say you heard it on the X.

ce
July 16, 2007, 12:52
What, you still here?

Fine, then listen up.

Your barrel wasn't warped, or it would never have produced 2 inch groups.
Even if it was, the gunsmith could have chucked it up in the lathe and bent it straight using a runout indicator to find the bend. Total bullshit

1 in 1000 are the odds on Vince not being an idiot, not an anomalous gas system installation. Pure horseshit.

With a new barrel and not a new locking shoulder, headspace is in doubt, unless checked with the perquisite way, no-way guages, Ruger trained gunsmith thinks he knows that what he thinks is correct. Dipshit.

Short barrel requires opening of gasport to compensate for shorter pressure peak, but misconstruance has already occurred when opening exhaust port from 1 to 2, so this quandary requires remedial reading. Do a search and shit.

When the rifle is reassembled, since the lower has been removed, then you can pull back on the charging handle with the left hand and smartly smack the buttstock on concrete with the right hand grasping the forend firmly, and the muzzle pointed upward. Oh, shit!

Of course it's not safe, you have a live round in the chamber. Shit.

Is it safe?

What kind of question is that? Is it safe?

The inertia of the bolt and carrier moving rearward will extract the round, and then you can send it to Gunplumber. He's good at this shit.

Radio
July 20, 2007, 13:13
:rofl:

:bow:

A perfect assessment if I've ever read one. Really. Listen up, Pete, that is the straight skinny and I would have said the same.

Exception #1: Smack the buttstock against something FIRM but slightly pliant, such as the ground. Concrete is hard on buttstocks.

Exception #2: The odds of Vince not being an idiot are actually more like 1,000,000 to 1. At least.

--Radio

ce
July 20, 2007, 15:10
This was a pretty tough question, Radio, and the dude hasn't been getting correct answers anywhere but here.

If the Fuddsmith didn't get the timing correct, and the piston was binding, that would have enough friction to impede the action and cause failures.

Pete, remove the piston spring and see if the piston drops free through the gas tube into the breech. Remove the lower and the bolt, or I'll show you my finger.

Not that finger, this one, the one I did the check on Vince's heavy barrel with the bolt catch tennuously holding the bolt back.

Yes, it was smashed by the careening bolt, and when I felt it, I pulled my finger out smartly, and the extractor ripped my flesh like a weasel.
Well, maybe it wasn't smartly.

If the piston is impinged, the gas block and the receiver are not aligned.
If it shoots to the right, it's in too tight.
If it shoots to the left, it needs more heft.

Rotate the regulator clockwise until it stops, that is exhaust port closed.
Higher number means more gas bleeding off, less gas in system.

Finger bleeding off means don't stick finger in open breech.

W.E.G.
July 20, 2007, 16:03
Pogo the rifle.

Up the gas.

Light strikes are from partial battery due to grabby rails.
Slick-ify the rails.

That is all.