PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Crazy Idea, LONG action FAL

jimmy_stikx
July 13, 2007, 11:23
Alright, I'm definitely a fan of the .308, but I definitely have a preference for 8mm Mauser (I know, most surplus is gone, but imported CIP new production is still fairly cheap).

So my mind got to thinking of a crazy idea, is it possible to make a FAL that can fire 8mm or even .30x06. I realize that there isn't a bit of room in the receiver for either round (none that I could see anyways), but would it be possible to splice two type 3 receivers together in the magazine well area to get the needed length and still be safe to shoot? I figured the possibility of spot welding reinforcing strips to the outside, and lengthening the bolt.

Just a crazy pipe dream more than likely, but any input from you guys would be appreciated.

dougjones31
July 13, 2007, 12:36
It would really be no problem to add to the length of the receiver......the problem would be doing it safely. You would have to cut and splice in between the breech and the locking shoulder in order to enlongate the magwell to take the longer round. This would be very dangerous unless it was done exactly right and re-heat treated.

I have not really looked at it, but maybe moving the barrel forward would give just enough room to make a 30-06 single shot.

But in the end you have to consider that the .308 is just a short 30-06.....the ballistics are very similar....SO why bother? Surely you have seen that the trend is to shorten OAL on rounds so that the guns can be more compact and lighter. Short magnums and Super Short Magnums are all the rage. Necked cases were a great invention.....funny how we are just now exploring all the possabilities.

hagar
July 13, 2007, 15:29
Get in touch with Stimpsoncat. He has a prototype 8mm FAL. I saw it myself.

thedrickel
July 15, 2007, 01:45
I have two FALs that shoot 8mm. One is called a "hakim" and the other is called an "FN-49". However I would like to make one in 7.62x54R with my (gasp) Century receiver casting :)

I can't wait til the SHTF and I can cut down the stock and have a Hakim para :devil: WECSOG a gas tube and piston in there and I'm in 8mm heaven.

USMC 0341
July 15, 2007, 03:31
If I remember right - dubious - Stimpsoncat did his 8mm conversion by cuttnig back on the ejection block which gave enough room for the longer 8mm round.

SIG552
July 15, 2007, 03:56
Surely you wouldn't need to lengthen the receiver. Unless 30-06 doesn't make it out the ejection port. In that case I would tweak the ejector and cut the top cover some.

SIG552

1gewehr
July 15, 2007, 07:33
Try this thread:
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183066

Last post was in february. Anyone hear from Stimpy since then on this project?
1gewehr

stimpsonjcat
July 16, 2007, 14:12
Updated yesterday!

We have ejection!

I am hoping to test fire next weekend maybe. If I can get some tinker time one night this week.

jimmy_stikx
July 17, 2007, 10:52
Okay thanks guys.

Stimpsonjcat seems to be on the money with what I want to do, so no crazy ideas of splicing and machining (thankfully).

I await the function tests.