PDA

View Full Version : 5-slot flash suppressor with no threads?

ruskiegunlover
July 12, 2007, 19:53
THIS auction on gunbroker? It doesn't have threads? I thought they all screwed on, and then were pinned? I want to add one, but am a little uncertain about this...Is this real? Or is the seller full of it?

ruskiegunlover
July 12, 2007, 20:08
oh, this auction...

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=75251088

elbo
July 12, 2007, 20:25
Whatever it is now, it started life with threads (right hand).
What thread does your barrel have, right or left?

Gunthings lists them for $8.

ruskiegunlover
July 12, 2007, 20:34
mine has no threads. It just has the slot cut. I want to put an original on it.....any fal builders in the wichita area?

Abominog
July 12, 2007, 20:43
Originally posted by ruskiegunlover
mine has no threads. It just has the slot cut. I want to put an original on it.....any fal builders in the wichita area?

Are you sure? The threads are way up in there. Almost 2" of the barrel are covered by the end of the FH. I'm looking up one now, and it's hard to see the threads, but I know they're there!

ruskiegunlover
July 12, 2007, 21:14
well, all I know is what the auxtion says. I am just considering buying it. It says no threads, and I was curious how it would go on if it didn't have any. Any recommended FAL builders in the wichita kansas area? Someone who could put on on my l1a1?

adam762
July 12, 2007, 21:43
Colorado Guns are a bunch of MORONS. They routinely mis identify FAL parts and post incorrect descriptions. I've been down this road with them. I've bought a few parts from them, and tried to buy a few more, but ultimately they just quit responding to my requests for more info or for a clarification.

It's a plain old Aussie 5 slot. They think the washer slot and pin will hold in in place. Retards.

Abominog
July 12, 2007, 22:11
Originally posted by ruskiegunlover

I think you're saying your barrel has no threads? That would be a Century cut-down. The L1A1 FH- with or w/o threads- would slide on, but the slot is NOT enough to hold it on.

If I'm correct about your barrel, you'll want to pin one on. If you're not prepared to do this yourself send it to Adam762 and have him do it. Don't buy the one on the auction, just post a WTB in Marketplace. Everybody has a handful of L1A1 FHs laying around...they seem to breed.

kennaquhair
July 12, 2007, 22:34
The threaded section in the flash hider is between the retention key slot and the bayonet lug. Threads should be clearly visible if you cast a light through the key slot or a flash slot and peer back at the area through the flash slots. They are a bit difficult to see otherwise.

In the few examples that I have, concentricity is not well retained in the barrel sleeve, and although it might look possible, I would not be tempted to solder one of these devices to a bare barrel using only the barrel sleeve to provide alignment.

Without having done any business with Colorado Guns, it appears as though adam762's assessment may be correct.

chromestarhustler
July 13, 2007, 03:05
yes ruskie i am in the wichita area.

GySgt D
July 26, 2007, 13:50
I have had a L1a1 flash hider JB Weld'ed to my unthreaded Century L1a1 for ten years now.

Takes all of ten minutes to accomplish. Did not harm accuracy one whit, nor has it given any indication of coming loose.

The unthreaded portion of the flash hider is sufficient. The threaded portion remains in front of the muzzle. Entirely unnoticeable to the casual observer.

This may not be "gunsmithing", but it sure is "DIY".