PDA

View Full Version : barrel threading

ACCURRETT
July 11, 2007, 11:43
I have been trying to get my barrel threaded to install a flash hider/muzzle ma bob/bayo whatever/ etc.etc. I was sure that it was a standard gi barrel, no bipod cut. But when i take it in to get the barrel threaded the smith says he would have to use a lathe on the end of the barrel before he could thread it.
Does this sound Right?
He don't have a lathe so i would have to take it elsewhere, where it would cost more than a new barrel that is threaded. I don't want a new barrel. mine is just peachy. So what do you guys think? DO you really believe it has to be lathed first? Or should i just get a different barrel?

chromestarhustler
July 11, 2007, 12:13
if its over 45 dollars, pm moses. he will rethread and crown for 35 dollars plus 10 for shipping, he will also shorten it, crown it and open the gasport up and rethread it for the same price so you got options. but yes the barrel od needs to be turned down before threading.

was it an century angry beaver barrel?, cause they just wacked the threads off and called it okie dokie.

ACCURRETT
July 11, 2007, 12:27
no its a new gi barrel, im pretty sure. and thank you for the information

Radio
July 11, 2007, 13:27
"Does this sound Right?"

Yes. gunplumber demonstrates this process in his excellent how-to DVD. Your gunsmith is right on the money on this one. And whether the barrel had a bipod, or not, has nothing to do with this, BTW.

--Radio

ACCURRETT
July 11, 2007, 14:44
well i went and talked to my smith again and have decided that i am not gonna take the barrel off and send it to be threaded that instead i'll just put an izzy barrel on it. :tongue: might as well. with all the parts i have already replaced on franky i could practically build a gun. so what the h3ll, izzy here we come! and it will be threaded. ive already got too much invested not to have it the way i want it. or want to do with it. its practically just a century reciever anymore. thank you guys very much.

ggiilliiee
July 11, 2007, 15:36
dont mean to be fecal isish ...but a smurf without a lathe is just an assembler .....but then again some do have lathes and dont know the "correct" processes ...
ask these questions
1) is the lathe big enough to run the barrel in between centers
2)does he have a thread pitch micrometer
3) most important ...what does his daughter look lke ..he he :wink:

Radio
July 11, 2007, 15:47
I can see what YOU'VE got on your mind... :tongue:

Now I know what you are looking for in DC...

--Radio

ACCURRETT
July 11, 2007, 17:04
well he has a lathe but not the sizes of dies to cut the barrel, plus after you account for taking off the barrel and putting it back on and checking everything it would not be cheap. he charges 35 an hr. so lets say, 1 hour to take off the barrel, then an hour to put it back on and check it. then roughly an hour to thread the barrel. plus the gas to drive there and back and the cost of the muzzle device. so it would cost around 115 to lets say 150. depending on what muzzle attachment. i figured well for that price why not just upgrade a little. now does it make sense a little more? And no i am not taking the barrel off myself. Im a mechanic not a gunsmith, so i am sure i would end up screwing something up. (like a ball peen and a pipewrench kind of deal). I'll leave it up to someone who knows a little more.

mountainman
July 11, 2007, 17:15
You need say no more. I hope this smith isn't a really close buddy of yours because you gonna have to break him some bad news. Or maybe you don't have to say a word, just stay away.

Say more like 20 min to remove the barrell and 40 to put it back on and headspace. Now threading on a decent lathe which requires no dies just knowledge should take about 30 min max. So 1.5 hrs total 1.5X35=$52.5. Now I hear Moses does these for $45. I don't think that is the price of an Izzy Barrell.

If I had a real lathe that would get done at a significant dscount. Sorry but can't help you there yet.

BTW, barrelling and headspacing is way easier than changing a Front Wheel Drive tranny in my opinion. Get yourself a recvr wrench and barrell vice instead of the Izzy barrell

gunsmith_tony
July 11, 2007, 21:48
You don't need to pull the barrel to lathe cut muzzle threads. 4-jaw chuck, steady rest, live center, and an indicator are all you need. I do it regularly. Takes a little longer to set it up, but no big deal really.
Me, Moses, and several others here are adequately equipped.

capt ron
July 12, 2007, 20:13
i just got 4 barrels back from moses and they are perfect. he does excellent work. his prices are good also............

he is slow at getting it back so don't get in a big hurry ( he has a lot of work so just get in line and wait), but it is well worth the wait.

i have some more to send to him in a month or so.