PDA

View Full Version : South African cleaning kit

K.R. Rabbit
July 10, 2007, 20:56
Hello Board,
I picked up a South African cleaning kit to go with my Rhodesian build, it is a pull through type kit in a canvas case. Does anyone know how to use all the stuff in the kit? Some is easy, the bore brush and the chamber brush. Is the smaller bottle for oil? The shaft that goes down the center of the oil bottle looks to big to add just a drop of oil, how was this used? Does anyone have a military manual that decribes the proper way to use this kit?
I know this stuff in not brain surgery, but if there is a manual, I would sure like to see it.
Thanks,
Rabbit

K.R. Rabbit
July 16, 2007, 10:37
OK, got some info on the cleaning kit. There is a bore brush and a brush for the gas cylinder and chamber. The brushes come in a plastic tube that has a partition in the middle and is threaded on both ends with end caps. The tube is clear plastic. The brushes work with a pull thru, it is a steel cable covered in plastic and has brass ends on each end. One is slotted and the other end is a male end for the brushes. The bottle is for oil, it is made of black plastic. The dipper is part of the end cap, large and wide at the end but it works. There was a pad of steel wool in the kit, Peter Wells tells me it was used to clean the gas piston, the alternative was to rub the piston in the sand, not recommended. There is a small nylon bristle brush, used for cleaning the action. The whole kit is contained in a tan canvas pouch with two cloth ties. A very servicable kit.
Rabbit

Mosin Guy
July 16, 2007, 11:25
You mean like this one,These were used on the Bren Guns in 7.62 http://www.saaaca.org.za/links/SIG/bren/SA_SmallArmsKitLabelled.jpg

K.R. Rabbit
July 16, 2007, 17:32
Hello Mosin Guy,
That is the same kit I got for my Rhodesian FAL, the only difference is that my case is tan in color. Mine did not come with the ruptured case extractor or patches but it did have a small pad of steel wool.
Take care,
Rabbit

lew
July 16, 2007, 17:41
Don't mean to hijack, but did the Israelis use a similar kit? Mine has all the parts there, with the exception of the broken case remover. The oiler is marked with the Hebrew characters for "IMI", and the brush is black. Everything else is identical. Great kit, too.

EX1
July 16, 2007, 17:48
Mine came frrom DSA. Sold as South African but the bottles have Izzy markings.Thanks EX1

lew
July 16, 2007, 19:09
'kay. Thanks.